Central Asian City States

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

BlackPrince
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Central Asian City States

Post by BlackPrince » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:05 am

Does anybody have information on if they used flags/ banners for standards or did they use the horse tails? If anyone can point me a the direction of information on anything about this army it would be useful.
Keith

It was better to leave disputing about the faith to the theologians and just run argumentative non-believers through with the sword (Louis IX).

Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Central Asian City States

Post by Skullzgrinda » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:18 pm

BlackPrince wrote:Does anybody have information on if they used flags/ banners for standards or did they use the horse tails? If anyone can point me a the direction of information on anything about this army it would be useful.
I suspect the answer is: Yes; along with windsocks/dragons.

I doubt there is definitive proof for many of these polities. I would look to the period, and mimick the surrounding nomad states, or patron civilized states that are contemporary with your city state. Look to the dominant ethnicity within your city state and copy what their 'barbarous' cousins were using, is my advice.

tadamson
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Central Asian City States

Post by tadamson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:37 pm

BlackPrince wrote:Does anybody have information on if they used flags/ banners for standards or did they use the horse tails? If anyone can point me a the direction of information on anything about this army it would be useful.
A generic answer would be : they used both.

Which state? When? The list covers several distinct cultures.

BlackPrince

Post by BlackPrince » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:24 pm

I was thinking of the western states such as Sogdiana.
Keith

It was better to leave disputing about the faith to the theologians and just run argumentative non-believers through with the sword (Louis IX).

Skullzgrinda
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Skullzgrinda » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:12 am

The various Sarmatian tribes, the Parthians and the Sassanids all used draco standards with some regularity. Some of those standards were little more than colorful windsocks, by the way. The draco was carried as far as Britain apparently, and makes an appearance in variant forms in Carolingian art and as late as the Bayeux tapestry in the west. To the east, the Georgians, IIRC, used a lionheaded style of draco windsock in the late dark ages - early medieval period. They are close to your area. Working off of memory here as my books are all scattered, packed or otherwise unavailable.

I think the draco style banners would be a reasonable hypothesis as the least unlikely for the region and time. Less barbarous than horse or wolf tails, but still somewhat tribal and feral.

Just my thoughts and speculations without hard evidence. Seems to me the Osprey on nomadic horsearchers had some notes on the subject. I will try to look it up tomorrow.

BlackPrince

Post by BlackPrince » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:09 am

I have just discovered the title horse archers of the steppe or simular such title but it is out of stock. I am going have to wait for it to be reprinted.
Keith

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:57 am

BlackPrince wrote:I have just discovered the title horse archers of the steppe or simular such title but it is out of stock. I am going have to wait for it to be reprinted.

IIRC it isn't very good I'm afraid ...
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

tadamson

Post by tadamson » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:32 am

BlackPrince wrote:I was thinking of the western states such as Sogdiana.
Sogdian armies were noted for large banners. Long contact with Chinese and Tibetan influences made banners with borders and complex shapes popular. Some were religious icons but most appear to be a solid coloured panel with text in it. The ČĀKAR troops used horse tail standards at a troop level (100-300 men).

does that help?

BlackPrince

Post by BlackPrince » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:28 pm

tadamson wrote:
Sogdian armies were noted for large banners. Long contact with Chinese and Tibetan influences made banners with borders and complex shapes popular. Some were religious icons but most appear to be a solid coloured panel with text in it. The ČĀKAR troops used horse tail standards at a troop level (100-300 men).

does that help?
Yes it does help thanks. As from my reading it would appear the Western states butted up against the Persian Empire (?) I was thinking about using a mix of Turkish and Persian figures and some banners and now a some Chinese styled banners . -comments?
Keith

BlackPrince

Post by BlackPrince » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:28 pm

nikgaukroger wrote:
BlackPrince wrote:I have just discovered the title horse archers of the steppe or simular such title but it is out of stock. I am going have to wait for it to be reprinted.

IIRC it isn't very good I'm afraid ...
Nik thanks for the tip I will save my money.
Keith

tadamson

Post by tadamson » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:08 am

BlackPrince wrote:
tadamson wrote:

does that help?
Yes it does help thanks. As from my reading it would appear the Western states butted up against the Persian Empire (?) I was thinking about using a mix of Turkish and Persian figures and some banners and now a some Chinese styled banners . -comments?
Well the murals from Afrasiab are a useful guide. http://www.orientarch.uni-halle.de/ca/afras/general.htm and Azarpay's book is useful http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KVSP ... &q&f=false

Early Sogdian troops may have looked like those in the Orlat Plaques http://www.transoxiana.org/Eran/Articles/mode.html

Return to “Modelling”