15mm Xyston Thracian Battlegroup done

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 pm

15mm Xyston Thracian Battlegroup done

Post by HereWego » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Hey Folks,
i have painted a 15mm 1x6 Thracian battlegroup for my Alexandrian Macedonian FOG army. The battlegroup is also part of my DBA Thracians 1/48.

Image

Hope you like it. Comments, Hints and critics are welcome :)

All minis are from Xyston Miniatures. Decals by Little Big Men.

For more pictures, especially for DBA army please feel free to visit: http://derfigurenschieber.blogspot.com/ ... s-i48.html

Regads
Last edited by HereWego on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Posts: 8637
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Manchester

Post by philqw78 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Are these 15's?
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Post by HereWego » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:43 pm

philqw78 wrote:Are these 15's?
Yes they are.

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Posts: 8637
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Manchester

Post by philqw78 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:45 pm

Do you have a job at NASA tattooing microbes or something? That is an amzing amount of detail. A great job.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Post by HereWego » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:48 pm

philqw78 wrote:Do you have a job at NASA tattooing microbes or something? That is an amzing amount of detail. A great job.
:lol: No, not yet. But may be ... :wink: Thanks a lot. I am very glad that you like them.

frederic
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:29 am

Post by frederic » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Surely the best job I ever see on Xyston miniatures :D

Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 pm
Location: Alcalá de Henares, Spain

Post by Strategos69 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:24 pm

Superb results! Indeed very brave to go for mud on the shields when already done. I have had some doubts when doing that on tanks so it would be harder to go on miniatures (they look so well when they neat). But in your case the results are excellent. The base is also great. The only thing you can take a look at is the water effect. If you add water effects the results will be outstanding (they pretty much already are)

http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com/20 ... ffect.html
http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com/20 ... nit-2.html

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Post by HereWego » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:56 am

frederic wrote:Surely the best job I ever see on Xyston miniatures :D
Strategos69 wrote:Superb results! Indeed very brave to go for mud on the shields when already done. I have had some doubts when doing that on tanks so it would be harder to go on miniatures (they look so well when they neat). But in your case the results are excellent. The base is also great. The only thing you can take a look at is the water effect. If you add water effects the results will be outstanding (they pretty much already are)

http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com/20 ... ffect.html
http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com/20 ... nit-2.html
Wow, thanks a lot for nice comments.

@ Strategos69

Thanks for the links. The water effect is awesome. I will try that in the future, especially with a dead one a river :wink:

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I
Posts: 2379
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:21 am
Location: Derbyshire, UK

Post by kevinj » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:59 am

Both these Thracians and that Water effect are amazing.

pcelella
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:56 pm
Location: West Hartford, CT USA

Post by pcelella » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:00 am

Fantastic results!

I have the same figures, which I really like, but I wish that mine came out looking as nice.

Have you considered painting Thracian style patterns on the cloaks? I always wanted to do that myself, but I haven't been able to figure out how to go about it.

Peter C
Sword and Sandal Gaming Blog
http://swordandsandalgaming.blogspot.com/

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Post by HereWego » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:54 pm

kevinj wrote:Both these Thracians and that Water effect are amazing.
Thanks for nice comment :D

pcelella wrote:Fantastic results!

Have you considered painting Thracian style patterns on the cloaks? I always wanted to do that myself, but I haven't been able to figure out how to go about it.

http://swordandsandalgaming.blogspot.com/
Thanks. Yes i painted the patterns on the cloaks, for example:

Image

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Posts: 8637
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Manchester

Post by philqw78 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:43 pm

We now feel even more ignominious.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Post by HereWego » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:18 pm

philqw78 wrote:We now feel even more ignominious.
Sorry, that was not my intention :roll:

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Posts: 8637
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:31 am
Location: Manchester

Post by philqw78 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:48 pm

HereWego wrote:
philqw78 wrote:We now feel even more ignominious.
Sorry, that was not my intention :roll:
Its not a problem tthe artwork is outstanding. I'm ignominious at painting anyway.


If only I understood the word.

Ignomy, Ignomy, they've all got it ..........er that didn't work
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Post by HereWego » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:44 pm

@ philqw78

:D i don't want you to feel more "ignominious"

but i have to tell that i won together with someone else the "BEST PAINTED ARMY AWARD" at our local DBA tournament yesterday.

Image

Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 pm
Location: Alcalá de Henares, Spain

Post by Strategos69 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:12 pm

HereWego wrote:@ philqw78

:D i don't want you to feel more "ignominious"

but i have to tell that i won together with someone else the "BEST PAINTED ARMY AWARD" at our local DBA tournament yesterday.
As beautiful as they are, at least we can say how much we enjoy FoG and it will take you a little while to play it with your Thracians :P

PS: nice army, by the way

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Post by HereWego » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:29 pm

Strategos69 wrote:
HereWego wrote:@ philqw78

:D i don't want you to feel more "ignominious"

but i have to tell that i won together with someone else the "BEST PAINTED ARMY AWARD" at our local DBA tournament yesterday.
As beautiful as they are, at least we can say how much we enjoy FoG and it will take you a little while to play it with your Thracians :P

PS: nice army, by the way
thanks and yes you are right. But the day will come when they enter the FoG battlefield :twisted: :wink:

They will be part of my Alexandrian Macedonian army:

CiC - Inspired Commander: 80pts --> Alexander himself
SC - 2x Troop Commander: 70pts
Agema - 4x Elite, Armoured, Drilled Cavalry - Lancer, Swordsmen: 80pts
Thracian LH - 4x Average, Unprotected, Undrilled Light Horse - Javelin, Light Spear: 28pts
Prodromoi - 4x Average, Unprotected, Drilled Light Horse - Lancer, Swordsmen: 36pts
Hypaspists - 6x Superior, Protected, Drilled Medium Foot - Offensive Spearmen: 60pts
Foot Companions - 8x Average, Protected, Drilled Heavy Foot - Pikemen: 48pts
Foot Companions - 8x Average, Protected, Drilled Heavy Foot - Pikemen: 48pts
Foot Companions - 8x Average, Protected, Drilled Heavy Foot - Pikemen: 48pts
Agrianian Javmen - 6x Superior,Unprotected,Undrilled Light Foot-Javelins,Light Spear: 30pts
Cretan Archers - 6x Superior, Unprotected, Drilled Light Foot - Bow: 36pts
Thracian Peltasts - 6x Average, Protected, Undrilled Medium Foot - Heavy Weapons: 42pts

All in all 600 Points.

Any tips? For example reducing cretans & agrianians to 1x4 and taking 1x4 BG Macedonian archers?

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada

Post by shadowdragon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Impressive. Absolutely a super job!

By the way, what type of paint are you using? Oil-based?

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Post by HereWego » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 pm

shadowdragon wrote:Impressive. Absolutely a super job!

By the way, what type of paint are you using? Oil-based?
Thank you :P I use "normal"/ acrylic paints from GAMES WORKSHOP or VALLEJO.

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada

Post by shadowdragon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:38 pm

HereWego wrote:
shadowdragon wrote:Impressive. Absolutely a super job!

By the way, what type of paint are you using? Oil-based?
Thank you :P I use "normal"/ acrylic paints from GAMES WORKSHOP or VALLEJO.
Well done then. You have managed to get the subtlety and flow control that I would have expected from someone using artists' oil-based paints. :D

I use artist's acrylic-based paints but so far have only thinned the paint with water, which has some limitations (e.g., flow control). I've wondered if it would be worthwhile to get some retardant (to slow drying) and a thinner that allows easier flow control of the paint. So maybe you've inspired me to do that.

Pity that something can't be done for aging eyes though. :cry:

Post Reply

Return to “Modelling”