Little Big Men transfers

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Post Reply
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Posts: 1966
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:52 am

Little Big Men transfers

Post by ravenflight » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:07 am

Hi All,

I've been playing around with the Little Big Men transfers, and had some problems.

The plastic 'cover sheet' seems very difficult to remove when you've cut the transfer down. I think the scissors create a squeeze point which makes the cover sheet stick harder to the transfer surface than it would normally.

Has anyone else found this problem?

I've discovered a way of remedying this. What I do is lift the plastic sheet off the transfer when it's still on the main sheet, and score the back with an craft knife. This creates a tiny tent. Then when I cut the transfer closer the cover sheet is more easily able to be lifted off.

Just thought I'd share, because when doing a bunch of hoplites it can be rather tedious :)

zoltan
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Posts: 901
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:40 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Post by zoltan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:52 am

Yeah there's a real art to using them. ;->)

I find sliding a scalpel gently under one edge of the cut out transfer usually works fine.

geoff
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:25 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Little Big Men transfers

Post by geoff » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:08 am

ravenflight wrote:
just thought I'd share, because when doing a bunch of hoplites it can be rather tedious :)
Surely you don't need to do any for Spartan shields......would have thought you still had a good collection from that game way back when you slaughtered my boys :)

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Posts: 1966
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:52 am

Re: Little Big Men transfers

Post by ravenflight » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:04 pm

geoff wrote:
ravenflight wrote:
just thought I'd share, because when doing a bunch of hoplites it can be rather tedious :)
Surely you don't need to do any for Spartan shields......would have thought you still had a good collection from that game way back when you slaughtered my boys :)
LOL yeah, that's true, but they're decorating the inside of Agathokles' dunny.

Seriously tho, don't use transfers for Spartiates or Theban Sacred Band. They are too easy to by hand (besides finding them lying around littering the battlefield).

Can only hope your Phalangites do equally well when you sniff my glove :)

Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 pm
Location: Alcalá de Henares, Spain

Post by Strategos69 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:58 pm

I find that the transfers of Veni, Vidi, Vici do a better job for Thebans and Spartiates (and much cheaper). In the other hand, by hand it is complicated for my hands to do lambdas that resemble to an actual one

ethan
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Posts: 1284
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:40 pm

Re: Little Big Men transfers

Post by ethan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:36 pm

ravenflight wrote:Seriously tho, don't use transfers for Spartiates or Theban Sacred Band. They are too easy to by hand (besides finding them lying around littering the battlefield).
I have done them by hand but the LBS ones are noticeably better looking. It seems like a waste, but they are just fabulous.

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Posts: 1966
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:52 am

Post by ravenflight » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:42 am

Strategos69 wrote:I find that the transfers of Veni, Vidi, Vici do a better job for Thebans and Spartiates (and much cheaper). In the other hand, by hand it is complicated for my hands to do lambdas that resemble to an actual one
I paint the shield a light colour then use a felt tipped pen.

Trouble with transfers for spartiates and Sacred Band is that they end up too uniform. The soldiers would have painted them in the field and would not have been a perfect standard.

Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 pm
Location: Alcalá de Henares, Spain

Post by Strategos69 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:54 am

ravenflight wrote:
Strategos69 wrote:I find that the transfers of Veni, Vidi, Vici do a better job for Thebans and Spartiates (and much cheaper). In the other hand, by hand it is complicated for my hands to do lambdas that resemble to an actual one
I paint the shield a light colour then use a felt tipped pen.

Trouble with transfers for spartiates and Sacred Band is that they end up too uniform. The soldiers would have painted them in the field and would not have been a perfect standard.
i agree that your approach is more accurate, but after the third shield I am sure I would give up. Hand painting is not my best skill. I will keep in mind what you said and maybe use more than one provider for the transfers to have variability 8)

Spartacus
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Villefranche De Rouergue

Post by Spartacus » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:32 am

For an even cheaper answer to Spartan Shields buy letraset letters that come in Black/Gold and white and use the "V" upside down.
--Terry--

elysiumsolutions@fsmail.n
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:17 am

Post by elysiumsolutions@fsmail.n » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:41 am

If you use Veni Vidi Vici transfers you get 3 free 'V's per sheet of transfers (as the company name is on the transfer).

Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 pm
Location: Alcalá de Henares, Spain

Post by Strategos69 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:49 pm

elysiumsolutions@fsmail.n wrote:If you use Veni Vidi Vici transfers you get 3 free 'V's per sheet of transfers (as the company name is on the transfer).


:lol:

I have used them that way!

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada

Post by shadowdragon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Strategos69 wrote:
ravenflight wrote:
Strategos69 wrote:I find that the transfers of Veni, Vidi, Vici do a better job for Thebans and Spartiates (and much cheaper). In the other hand, by hand it is complicated for my hands to do lambdas that resemble to an actual one
I paint the shield a light colour then use a felt tipped pen.

Trouble with transfers for spartiates and Sacred Band is that they end up too uniform. The soldiers would have painted them in the field and would not have been a perfect standard.
i agree that your approach is more accurate, but after the third shield I am sure I would give up. Hand painting is not my best skill. I will keep in mind what you said and maybe use more than one provider for the transfers to have variability 8)
Whether my skill at painting shields is up to it or not, it's something I really enjoy doing. :D

Legionbuilder
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: Wheaton - Suburb of Chicago

Post by Legionbuilder » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:33 am

I think that the bigger shields for the 25/28mm figs can be quite a pain but I use a sharp scalpel as well and it is usually okay - the smaller ones for 15mm seem to work just fine

mbsparta
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:57 pm

Post by mbsparta » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 pm

I paint the shields white. Then cut out the shield transfer with a knife. Apply it to the very-very dried shield and then I use the hard end of a paint brush to rub over the plastic top of the transfer. The plastic will peal back ... all done.

Then glue the shield onto the model and touch up edges of shield etc. Great looking shields can mean everything to the appearance of an ancient army. These transfers are well worth the effort and cost. Not all of us are artists and transfers even the artistic playing field. :wink:

Mike B

Post Reply

Return to “Modelling”