Fields of Glory 15mm Alexandrian Macedonian army WIP

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Fields of Glory 15mm Alexandrian Macedonian army WIP

Post by HereWego » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Hey folks,

i am currently working on a Macedonian Army for Fields of Glory. From time to time i will post some updates :D

The current status of done elements:

6 Bases Thracians
2 Bases Cretan Archers
2 Bases Prodomoi
3 Bases Scythians

I hope you like it. Comments, hints and critics are welcome too :)

Regards
Last edited by HereWego on Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

zendor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by zendor » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:29 pm

As I can see, the design of bases are really cool! :)
Can you make some close up photos?
Thanks.

Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Strategos69 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:12 pm

As always, your basing and painting techniques are awesome.

frederic
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by frederic » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Really great, I'm impatient to see the full FOG army :D

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HereWego » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:42 am

zendor wrote:As I can see, the design of bases are really cool! :)
Can you make some close up photos?
Thanks.
Yes i will make some in the next days. Some older pics can be found here http://derfigurenschieber.blogspot.com/ :D

@ all

thanks for comments

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HereWego » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:54 am

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Fields of Glory 15mm Alexandrian Macedonian army WIP

Post by ravenflight » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:47 am

HereWego wrote:I hope you like it. Comments, hints and critics are welcome too :)

Regards
Mate, I'm really loathe to say this, because I think they are some of the best presented figures I've seen, and MUCH better than I can do, so take that into consideration when I say this.

I personally find the 'deep green' bit of the bases rather distracting. I think it makes the bases look less effective.

They are (and this is only my opinion) absolutely magnificent pieces otherwise.

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Fields of Glory 15mm Alexandrian Macedonian army WIP

Post by nikgaukroger » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:37 am

ravenflight wrote:
HereWego wrote:I hope you like it. Comments, hints and critics are welcome too :)

Regards
Mate, I'm really loathe to say this, because I think they are some of the best presented figures I've seen, and MUCH better than I can do, so take that into consideration when I say this.

I personally find the 'deep green' bit of the bases rather distracting. I think it makes the bases look less effective.

They are (and this is only my opinion) absolutely magnificent pieces otherwise.

Could just be the way that the colour comes out in the photo, and they may look fine in real life. However, from the photo I agree with you.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HereWego » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:56 am

Hi fellows,

thanks for comments. No problem, that is something i was looking for in order to make my stuff look better. But i am not sure if i understood you right (sorry english is not my native language). If you look at the picture below:

Do you mean the deep green bit on left ahead? If yes than i understand what you mean. I tried to give the base a more realistic look by mixing different grass types.

I will make my next base without dark green grass and will you it here.Then we can compare better. :D Do you agree?

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:37 pm

HereWego wrote:Hi fellows,

thanks for comments. No problem, that is something i was looking for in order to make my stuff look better. But i am not sure if i understood you right (sorry english is not my native language). If you look at the picture below:
It doesn't appear on the picture you supplied.

If you look at your very top picture and the infantry at the back. The centre base and base to the right of it have two dark green kind of 'triangular' spots. It looks 'out of place' however I agree with Nik that it could be the colouring.

Additionally, I think that there is nothing wrong with the picture you supplied above, so if it's that same green grass, leave it alone - it's fine and exactly what Nik was saying - the picture not showing things in their best light.

Anyway - it's just my opinion, and not necessarily worth anything.

ShrubMiK
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ShrubMiK » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:51 pm

You mean the (perhaps slightly turquoisy) blue bits? Or at least, that's how they look to me. Browser differences etc. might be making us see slightly different things.

They don't look too bad to me, I assume they are supposed to represent water, but it is a fair point that because they don't line up/carry over from base to base the effect is a bit odd.

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:55 pm

The puddles. Yes, if they were ancient brits they'd be a cold dirty grey colour
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by shadowdragon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:54 pm

I don't know if the blue-green bits were meant to be water or not, but shallow puddles shouldn't be blue. Here's a video on creating realistic looking shallow water. Perfect for creating terrain features like

swamp.http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics. ... ToVideosWS

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HereWego » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:02 am

Oh, very good link. Thanks for sharing.

Now i understand. Yes, those bits should be puddles :D

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:14 pm

HereWego wrote:Oh, very good link. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the close up pictures do them justice. I'm edging towards them not being 'quite right' though. It doesn't QUITE do it for me. Maybe (not sure) if you put some reeds propping through the puddle (like a marsh) and a slightly different colour and it would be perfect.

Please, don't consider this anything but friendly advise. I think they are absolutely beautiful models.

HereWego
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by HereWego » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:53 am

ravenflight wrote:
HereWego wrote:Oh, very good link. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the close up pictures do them justice. I'm edging towards them not being 'quite right' though. It doesn't QUITE do it for me. Maybe (not sure) if you put some reeds propping through the puddle (like a marsh) and a slightly different colour and it would be perfect.

Please, don't consider this anything but friendly advise. I think they are absolutely beautiful models.
No problem. I am not very pleased with the puddles too. I will omit them in the army or make them darker. But on the Thracian bases that was a test for me how they look like :D

Put some reeds around them is a nice idea. I will try that. Thanks for very good advises :D

ethan
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by ethan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:01 pm

This may be just me, but I would consider doing your colors a bit more vibrantly. They come across as a bit washed out for my tastes. Now, this is probably historically accurate, but I have gone to making things just a bit "brighter" which makes the colors IMO stand out better. I am not suggesting going for cartoonish look, but just a bit more, it may be a matter of doing the highlighting slightly differently.

mbsparta
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by mbsparta » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Your painting is beautiful. If I was painting and basing the miniatures for a diorama or somthing like that I would agree that the bases are as important as the figures. But for gaming, I prefer a much simpler basing style. Too much on the base distracts from the painted models. A little sand and dry brushing will enhance the miniatures, not hide them.

Mike B

ravenflight

Post by ravenflight » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:46 am

ethan wrote:This may be just me, but I would consider doing your colors a bit more vibrantly. They come across as a bit washed out for my tastes. Now, this is probably historically accurate, but I have gone to making things just a bit "brighter" which makes the colors IMO stand out better. I am not suggesting going for cartoonish look, but just a bit more, it may be a matter of doing the highlighting slightly differently.
I have a friend who paints as you say Ethan... he does a good job, very nice figures. I paint more along the lines of 'herewego'. I think it's 'different strokes' coz I don't think I COULD paint brighter. It works for me, and I like the look.

The other thing I find with the 'muted' colours is that you CAN pull out a figure that you really want to stand out "Mr Grand General" or whatever by having him have a very bright plume or whatever.

Strategos69

Post by Strategos69 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:33 pm

mbsparta wrote:Your painting is beautiful. If I was painting and basing the miniatures for a diorama or somthing like that I would agree that the bases are as important as the figures. But for gaming, I prefer a much simpler basing style. Too much on the base distracts from the painted models. A little sand and dry brushing will enhance the miniatures, not hide them.

Mike B
In my experience I have noticed that I can get better results with less time on the bases than on the miniatures. If you have very well painted miniatures, then you want as few distractions as possible and I agree with you. But if that is not the case, the distractions can transform an average painting into a better looking one. In my opinion, for an army for FoG the basing detail of Herewego is feasible, but his painting technique would take me forever to get results certainly inferior. And on the tabletop you tend to see more the bases and the shields than anything else. Actually I am moving slowly to pay more and more attention to the bases than the miniatures themselves (probably because I want to learn new things on that regard).

Return to “Modelling”