dissolving epoxy?

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

pikeman666
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

dissolving epoxy?

Post by pikeman666 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:44 pm

I have some 28mm cavalry that are mounted 1 per on metal bases with epoxy. The adhesive is covered with a nice terrain mix. They're 25mm wide, and I don't think I can cut them down to 20mm.
So has anyone ever dissolved epoxy without dissolving the figure? I've heard that heat softens epoxy, but that much heat would probably ruin the figure too.
Pete

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: dissolving epoxy?

Post by ravenflight » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 pm

pikeman666 wrote:I have some 28mm cavalry that are mounted 1 per on metal bases with epoxy. The adhesive is covered with a nice terrain mix. They're 25mm wide, and I don't think I can cut them down to 20mm.
So has anyone ever dissolved epoxy without dissolving the figure? I've heard that heat softens epoxy, but that much heat would probably ruin the figure too.
Pete
I think heating it would cause more problem for the paint than the figure. Maybe you could try a hot wire to cut through the epoxy.

It's going to be a crappy job.

pezhetairoi
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pezhetairoi » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Haven't tried it myself, but the following may work:
Lacquer Thinner
Methylene Chloride

Both are bad for you.
If one doesn't work the other should.
My Architectural Model Making Business
http://www.monolitham.com/

tadamson
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by tadamson » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:24 am

pezhetairoi wrote:Haven't tried it myself, but the following may work:
Lacquer Thinner
Methylene Chloride

Both are bad for you.
If one doesn't work the other should.
denatured alcohol, mineral spirits (paint thinner), acetone and Toluene all work.
nb acetone is VERY flammable and toluene VERY carcinogenic.

As the poxy has cured, you will have to let them soak in the solvent for a day or so.

A small grinder or jigsaw (with the base/figure held in a vice) would be quicker and likely less hazardous.

lawrenceg
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by lawrenceg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:49 pm

pikeman666 wrote:I have some 28mm cavalry that are mounted 1 per on metal bases with epoxy. The adhesive is covered with a nice terrain mix. They're 25mm wide, and I don't think I can cut them down to 20mm.
Pete
Most solvents will do nothing to cured epoxy, but some might soak in eventually and make it a bit rubbery, at which point you might be able to prise the two surfaces apart with a knife.

Methylene chloride is the basis of some paint-strippers and will chemically attack many epoxies, so I would try that one first (assuming you don't mind stripping the paint off the figures).

Another alternative is to put them in a *** freezer overnight and use a hammer and sharp chisel as soon as you take them out.

If you primed the bases with paint before gluing, you might be able to detach the paint from the metal with a solvent for cellulose paint.

Any health hazard from solvents will be negligible unless you are breathing it 8 hours a day for your working life.

Epoxies are difficult to get rid of, so good luck.

Glue: a substance that sticks irrevocably to any surface you don't want it to stick to.
Lawrence Greaves

pezhetairoi

Post by pezhetairoi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:06 pm

lawrenceg wrote:Another alternative is to put them in a *** freezer overnight and use a hammer and sharp chisel as soon as you take them out.
This will be easy if you live in Canada! You can just leave them outside. The temperature at night has been -20C in the Ottawa area lately. bbbrrrrrrr
My Architectural Model Making Business
http://www.monolitham.com/

Return to “Modelling”