Has anyone tried Zuzzy's Terrain mats?

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Has anyone tried Zuzzy's Terrain mats?

Post by kevinj » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:21 am

I've also asked this in the Fog R Forum.

Zuzzy is a US supplier that makes latex Terrain Mats in a variety of sizes and styles.

http://www.zuzzy.com/

They look like they might provide a way to have some nice latex terrain that I could customise and would be cheaper than Miniature World Maker. A 14x11 inch piece works out around £7, even after international postage.

Has anyone seen or tried this stuff and, if so, do you have a view on which is the best type to use?

titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Has anyone tried Zuzzy's Terrain mats?

Post by titanu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:55 pm

kevinj wrote:Has anyone seen or tried this stuff and, if so, do you have a view on which is the best type to use?
Dave R has some underpants made of rubber if that helps! He likes the jasmin scented ones!

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:33 pm

I just don't want to think what kind of terrain feature those could be used for...

titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by titanu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:17 am

kevinj wrote:I just don't want to think what kind of terrain feature those could be used for...
Bush perhaps!

Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Robert241167 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:13 am

They may come in handy for a plantation of apples.

Anyone for cox? :shock:

Rob

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:28 am

kevinj wrote:I've also asked this in the Fog R Forum.

Zuzzy is a US supplier that makes latex Terrain Mats in a variety of sizes and styles.

http://www.zuzzy.com/

They look like they might provide a way to have some nice latex terrain that I could customise and would be cheaper than Miniature World Maker. A 14x11 inch piece works out around £7, even after international postage.

Has anyone seen or tried this stuff and, if so, do you have a view on which is the best type to use?
I'm going way out on a limb here, and say something serious. I mean, I know that this entire forum is designed for giving shit to one person or another, but I might actually try to start a new trend by actually answering the question.

No, I've never tried them. I've seen and used Miniature World Maker. I think as 'terrain pieces' latex is fine. For something like an entire gaming table, I'd be suspicious that it would grip the miniatures too much and be more difficult to move units around. I would think that you would have to individually move each base - no sliding. That would be painful.

Be interested to hear if I'm wrong.

mellis1644
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by mellis1644 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:03 pm

They are great for skirmish games and can be finished off too look really cool with paint effects etc. For FoG as mentioned the only issue would be moving troops around. It should be ok and would definitely make the table look good.

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Do you want to paint a 6x4 mat then have other people put squares of felt on it?
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks to those who have answered the question :D

My aim was not to cover a whole table with it, but to use some of the smaller size pieces to create terrain features. For example, from a single 11x14 piece I could make 4 small features, which at £7 would be very reasonable. It looks like I'll just have to buy a few samples and see how they work out.

Legionbuilder
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Legionbuilder » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:15 am

I have several of the Zuzzy game mats and they are very cool looking - when u drybrush them - the effect is great --rool em up and carry them around - again GREAT - BUT moving stands on the terrain is tricky - they do NOT slide well at all -

You can buy a smaller on at the 24 inch size and try it fairly cheap - and if you don't like it - cut it up for terrain pieces OR sell it to a DBA gamer

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re:

Post by hazelbark » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:28 pm

philqw78 wrote:Do you want to paint a 6x4 mat then have other people put squares of felt on it?
We need to move away form this as a hobby.

Strategos69

Re: Re:

Post by Strategos69 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:20 am

hazelbark wrote:
philqw78 wrote:Do you want to paint a 6x4 mat then have other people put squares of felt on it?
We need to move away form this as a hobby.
Yeah. I have seen using a mixed system to combine nice looking terrain and usability. People make felt (or paper) bases of the same size of their nice looking terrain. When a troop gets into it, they drop the terrain if miniatures are hard to put in there. For wheat fields I saw an interesting idea. You put the sides with wheat looking terrain and the insides can be taken away when you put the miniatures. It looks better because it seems that your men are actually inside the field. Some people do the same with trees, that can be taken away while playing.

Certainly I have been to some tournaments where there were even no mats and that it nos at all appealing for newcomers.

gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by gozerius » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:53 am

I'm still using felt, but I add Woodland Scenics trees, houses, etc. on movable bases to give it more eye appeal. When troops move into the terrain, the models get pushed temporarily aside. I've considered flocked vinyl mats sold at RR hobby stores, but I'm concerned about curling edges. Felt lays down better in my experience. I do have 3D hills created by a past master terrain builder that are awesome. My attempts at nice looking water features has so far been less than aesthetically pleasing.
Some guys in my area are using the flocked vinyl battle mats, which looks way nicer than my home-made flocked felt.
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians

hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:33 am

Back to Zuzzy.

Anyone know how well it looks if you cut it up for odd shaped terrain?

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:16 am

I've ordered some samples and I'll let you know how they work out.

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27 am

My samples arrived this morning, so about 2 weeks from ordering, including overseas postage. Now I just need to cut them up and do a little minor dry brushing to enhance them...

:D

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:51 am

OK, so I've now had the chance to prepare and use these, so for anyone who's interested, here are my thoughts. I ordered 3 11x14 inch pieces and was able to get a normal (approx 11x7) and a small (approx 8x5) piece from each. THe cost was approx £20 including international postage, it's much cheaper if you're in the US. I could have had slightly more if I'd been prepared to use square or nearly square pieces. I got one each of the Moorlands, Sulphur Fields and Scourged Forest ranges. Of these the Moorlands is a fairly insipid green colour and was the one I was least impressed by. THe other 2 are an earthy brown colour and look great with a bit of drybrushing and static grass. I takes about 5 mins per piece to do the decoration which I regard as a minimal effort. Anyway, I've taken some pictures, so see what you think.

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am

This one is the Moorland. All you can really do is a bit of varied drybrushing. It's still better than a bit of felt, but not as good as the others in my opinon.

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:56 am

This one is the Sulphur Field, drybrushed with about 4 different lighter shades and enhanced with Warlord Games Steppe Grass. And below with added brushy bits:

kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:57 am

Finally we have the Scourged Forest, decorated as for the Sulphur Field, and with added foresty goodness.

Return to “Modelling”