Classical Spartan army

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Classical Spartan army

Post by helot2000 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 am

This army had an unusual start. A fellow at Bartertown traded me his Old Glory Spartan starter army for a boardgame. In our FoG group, there are 4 Roman armies that beat on me regularly. After I put these fellows together, I realized they're the perfect antidote for all those Romans. If my superior armored Spartan citizens survive impact without a morale drop, they end up +1 in subsequent rounds of melee against the Legionaries. And sure enough, the first time I took them to the tabletop against LR Romans, the Spartans won convincingly! More units, talking and pics up on my blog here: http://twincitiesfieldofglory.blogspot. ... el/Spartan

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: Classical Spartan army

Post by philqw78 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:03 am

Nice. I have one but not as pretty

What is the camp based on. I have one the same design for my 15mm army but where does the idea of that spiders head thingy come from?
phil
putting the arg into argumentative

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:43 am

philqw78 wrote:Nice. I have one but not as pretty

What is the camp based on. I have one the same design for my 15mm army but where does the idea of that spiders head thingy come from?
I have seen it in a contemporary artwork, but from memory there is nothing to lend it scale, so we have no way of knowing exactly what it looked like (size wise).

helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by helot2000 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 pm

The Baueda camp is inspired by the Spartan dokana. The upright pair of beams apparently symbolized Dioscuri (Castor and Polydeuces). I think the snakes represent twinhood as well. In Nick Sekunda's "The Spartan Army," pg 55 has a picture of the gravestone depicting a dokana with a spider and two snakes. Pg 54, there's a picture of two Spartan kings standing in front of a dokana and the cross beam is high enough to pass under.

Nicely done, Baueda!

Return to “Modelling”