Advice needed - Shield Emblems and Banners for 15mm Medieval

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Quintus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Advice needed - Shield Emblems and Banners for 15mm Medieval

Post by Quintus »

My son and I have ordered some 15mm figures for Storm of Arrows and wonder if anyone could provide some advice.

My son is building a 100 Years War English army and we wondered how to sort out those fine emblems on shields. Are there any suppliers of good emblems for this scale?

I am starting a Scots Isles and Highlands army which should also form the basis for a Medieval Irish army and a Scots Common Army so any tips on emblems would be appreciated for this too (although many of the more noble classes do not have shields).

In addition can anyone recommend 15mm banners - suitable for HYW English, for Scots Isles and Highlands, Scots Common Army and Ireland?

Thanks.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

I'd suggest http://www.krigsspil.dk/download/download_3.html for HYW banners and also Freezywater do a load IIRC plus some Scots ones as well.
Quintus

Post by Quintus »

Many thanks for the links. The flags on display are very good and it has also led to links for Vexillia Ltd which look particularly good. :D
Kineas1
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Kineas1 »

The back of Armies and Enemies of Medieval Europe Vol. 1 has a really useful selection of English and, as I remember, French, heraldry in period.

The grave stones at Iona from the 15th century suggest that the Island Scots used heraldry, but to my eye also suggest that their heraldry wasn't exactly the same as English or French. One of the Isle of Mull websites ought to get you some of the stuff on the gravestones--lots of Burlins (a type of ship) and fish, as I remember.

Hope that helps. Somewhere I may have a book with more Islands stuff.
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Quintus

Post by Quintus »

Many thanks.

I have lots of information on coats of arms and blazons but my main concern is in presenting them on wargames figures. More so than in any other period medieval shields and flags have to look good. I see many photos of figures with superb emblems etc., many of them complex, and would like to be able to match that.

I can paint to a decent standard but medieval shields are of a different order. There are some transfers available but not as many as I had hoped.
Kineas1

Post by Kineas1 »

Three heraldry painting hints.

1) Practice. Paint every shield on paper first. Experiment with simple geometric shapes (on paper) that add up to the final shape you need. You'd be amazed what an awesome raven you can get with three triangles and a circle, for instance... [Example--I was just painting dolphins from the wall paintings at Pylos on Mycenaean chariots. to get them the same every time, I drew them in pencil, practiced a couple of times, painted three or four on scrap paper, then painted two fully coloured ones on plastic card--and then painted the twelve or so I needed on the chariots. Not bad, if I do say so...][let me add that I have no art skills at all...]

2) Keep the colours BRIGHT. That means undercoating white every time on the shield, even if not on the figure. I paint the shields separately--back when I painted professionally, I charged the same for a shield as I did for a figure... anyway, undercoat AGAIN at every colour transition--so if you have red bordering yellow, make sure that yellow is totally undercoated before applying the yellow. Yellow crescent on blue? paint the crescent white and then cover with yellow. Brightness will hide a multitude of sins and give your shields a really strong appearance.

2) Get a coach brush--that is, a fine (but not super fine) long bristled brush--like a 0 or even a 1. The long bristles are the key. Practice on paper until you get the paint flow right, but you'll find that you can paint a DEAD straight line with perfect consistency of width. And with that you can paint virtually any heraldry ever.

Transfers never do it for me, but that's just taste, I guess.
karakhanid
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by karakhanid »

When i have to paint something complex over a big surface(in a 15mm figure :wink: ) i undercoat white and i draw the silhouettes or the limits of the areas with a 2B very sharp(have a pencil sharpener near) black pencil and then i fill them with paint.
Another technique is to print or draw the silhouettes of the appropriate size in a paper sheet and then make a carbon copy in the figure using a 2H sharp pencil.
In case of an overcomplex drawing to do i pay my friend Dani to do it (now is painting my free companies generals) :lol:
(i hope that the message is in an understandable english :oops: )
Mikel
Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton »

Return to “Modelling”