Scale creep in plastic 1/72

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Scale creep in plastic 1/72

Post by Fenton » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:41 pm

Just bought some of the Late Roman Meduim Infantry, and compared them to some HAT Macedonians and Persians, and they are massive, is it just with these Romans that the size is getting bigger, and is just HAT or is it all manufacturers...I know it happened with 28/28/30mm in white metal, but didnt expect the huge difference in plastc figures

Quintus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Quintus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:54 pm

Are the Romans from HaT?

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Yeah its the Late Meduim Roman Infantry

Nathaniel
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Nathaniel » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:38 am

There's no PSR review of them yet (gives the height in mm of the figures and their scale height at 1:72) but the painted shots from HaT's website do indeed make them look on the large side.

It's not "scale creep" like in metals though. The main market for these kind of figures is often model makers rather than gamers and they won't accept the same sort of scale creep from 25mm to 32mm that has occurred in the "25mm" miniatures lines out there.

It also varies from maker to maker-- Caesar, for example, makes figures that are far more slight and slightly smaller than many other makers. And then in a single maker's ranges, there will be sets that are slightly out of size with one another. A good example of this from Revel would be their WW2 Germans and their WW2 British Paratroopers. Same maker, very different sized figures. Though not so far that I wouldn't use them in the same game. Same goes with HaT and Caesar figures in the same game. I'm in the middle of making an Assyrian army and am freely mixing HaT and Caesar's offerings.

thabear
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by thabear » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:14 am

not in the same era but i noticed the WW2 Winter Germans from Caesar were bigger than the other 1/72 manufacturers , nonetheless i still mix them all freely ,

I do the same do the same for the ancients . I'm not sure but i think the Hittites from Caeser and the Egyptians from Zvezda to be too tall also , but i know they are all 1/72 figures so i'm cool with it , i mix them all freely

ive noticed in my re-enactment group the difference in height between members despite being all armoured and looking alike , so i accept the differenc e in 1/72 figures as well .

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:35 pm

I know what your saying Tom, and your maybe right, I'll take a comparison photo and let you see,.

Completely off topic, is there any chance you can get me a full size kite shield?, jusy looking for one to paint up

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Fenton wrote:I know what your saying Tom, and your maybe right, I'll take a comparison photo and let you see,.

Completely off topic, is there any chance you can get me a full size kite shield?, jusy looking for one to paint up
I have one I bought from a reenactors market a number of years ago then hardly used :cry:

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:41 pm

I have a couple of viking shields I made sometime ago and havnt used in ages which is a shame, but thats old age for you :D

thabear

Post by thabear » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi Steve

that wasnt me that replied re: sheild , that was Hammy .

i do see what you mean regards scale creep , i just had a look and compared some unpainted figures , there are definetly some that wont easily blend in and if i didnt know better i'd think they were smallish 25mm metals .

In regards to spare shield blanks for a kite shield , i just sold my last two 12mm blanks to one of the chaps in CDB , i have around 6 shields already made up ( even one Pictish shield ) so i wont run short anytime soon .

i do know that sometime soon we will be placing an order to have some curved 10mm shield blanks ( for kite shield ) made up for CDB , if you want to get in on that order let me know

cheers tom

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:03 pm

Yeah I will thanks, I suppose we should get back to discussing FOG now :D , but I would be interested in the blank just for display purposes

thabear

Post by thabear » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:22 pm

yes , FOG , FOG , FOG

ive been discussing with people at the club , i havent seen much interest generated yet , but perhaps after Caesers Challenge ?

there certainly isnt any interest in 1/72 gaming apart from my little group , and even then they're not really into ancients , mainly ACW and WW2 unfortunately but thats ptrobably because most people already have DBM armies in 15mm ,

I however am very keen to do armies for FOG in 1/72 , i plan on Romans for sure ( as i already bought heaps of them ) and at least one other army using the figures i have already collected , being mostly phalanx pikemen , hoplites and elephants

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:26 pm

thabear wrote:yes , FOG , FOG , FOG

ive been discussing with people at the club , i havent seen much interest generated yet , but perhaps after Caesers Challenge ?

there certainly isnt any interest in 1/72 gaming apart from my little group , and even then they're not really into ancients , mainly ACW and WW2 unfortunately but thats ptrobably because most people already have DBM armies in 15mm ,

I however am very keen to do armies for FOG in 1/72 , i plan on Romans for sure ( as i already bought heaps of them ) and at least one other army using the figures i have already collected , being mostly phalanx pikemen , hoplites and elephants
Soulds like Phyrric to me.

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:36 pm

I fancy HYW myself, but I might get a Carthaginian army up and running, I rang Milsims and they have some copies so I will go tomorrow and get one

Quintus

Post by Quintus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:04 am

Almost by accident I find myself building a Republican Roman Army and an Ancient Spanish Army in 1/72 plastic. This is as a means of practising and demonstrating the rules. (I started off with ordering 15mm metal miniatures for HYW English for my eldest son and 15mm Scots for myself!) This is because the mix of troop types helps demonstrate various aspects of the rules (i.e. combined arms) rather than the more difficult medieval mix.

From Rome and Spain it is a short step to my first love, i.e. Punic Wars Carthaginian, and then my lasting love, i.e. the Army of King Pyrrhus of Epirus. :P

thabear

Post by thabear » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:43 am

Hi Steve
yes i plan on a medievil army in 1/72 as well but i cant afford the SOA book just for one list , the period isnt really a favourite of mine so hopefully i'll download a free list from somewhere, the iminent release of 1/72 medievils from Italeri is the driving force .

Hi Hammy
Hmmm , a Phyrric army you say ? , i think that might be the ticket , it would allow the use of all the Hellenistic figures i have .

I'll read up on them , thanks Hammy

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:52 am

I was going to buy SOA anyway, so no problem there

thabear

Post by thabear » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:53 am

Hi Steve

Even though i havent even seen the rules yet , i think youve already got a 1/72 opponent over here in the Western Suburbs

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:50 am

I best get painting then :D

thabear

Post by thabear » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:32 am

you have plenty of time with this one Mate , i wont have my army finished till ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tonight

nah i have a few WW2 projects to finish first and i want to really check out these rules too

This will be my order of FOG 1/72 priority schedule , Rebublican Roman , Medievil , Helenistic army

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:32 pm

Oh crap, better get to the painting table instead of being here......

Return to “Modelling”