Best Marian/Caesarian Romans in 25/28mm?

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

RichardD
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by RichardD » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:12 pm

A number of things have occured to me. I don't own any armies in 25/28mm. Those 15mm figures are looking a LOT smaller than they used to (and I haven't picked up a paintbrush in over 5 years). And I've been reading the Conn Iggulden Caesar novels. So obviously I need a Marian/Caesarian Roman army in 25/28mm.

So who makes the best figures?

RichardD

Post by RichardD » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:45 pm

No worries - I've placed a small order with Foundry, for a small fortune. By "small" I mean that I've only bought a few stands of skirmishers; I'll buy and paint the main troop types once I've finished the light troops. I'm not exactly known for my speed with the paintbrush - one army took me 7 years!

Good lord, an unpainted 25mm army is costing as much as I have usually paint for a professionally-painted 15mm one. Now I just need to find where I left my brushes.

Quadratus
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Best Marian/Caesarian Romans in 25/28mm?

Post by Quadratus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:56 pm

RichardD wrote:So obviously I need a Marian/Caesarian Roman army in 25/28mm.
Obviously!
RichardD wrote:So who makes the best figures?
best figures?

Foundry are great looking, but it will cost you a small fortune (which has been said)

Gripping Beast are decent with quite a few poses and reasonably priced http://www.grippingbeast.com/

the newest thing in Ancients is http://wargamesfactory.com/Home.htm which gives you 48 figures for $30 USD. They look good and can be posed with interchangeable arms and heads

Old Glory models are decent and really cheap (but you've gotta buy them 30 per bag) http://www.oldglory25s.com/

I went with Gripping Beast myself about 1.5 years ago, wished the news about the plastics were out. Perhaps I'll just start a new army :wink:

That's about the extent of my knowledge. Hope it helps.

Matt W.

pezhetairoi
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pezhetairoi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:02 am

Wargames foundry are my favourite. They are expensive, and there are some holes in the ranges, but they are easy to paint. I've purchased old glory and I don't like them very much. They are cheap, but I don't like the detailing or the proportions. Some of their figures are better than others, but overall I find them harder to paint well.

If you can use republican figures try Renegade Miniatures or Crusader Miniatures. You may find some of your support troops there too.

stingray

Post by stingray » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:44 pm

I like the Black Tree Design stuff, and they've got a sale on!

http://www.black-tree-design.com/btdcat ... &shp=&tot=

flameberge
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by flameberge » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:28 am

I bought some Black Tree Romans and though they were dirt cheap I didn't like the strange facial expressions every figure seemed to have.

Greenjacket
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Greenjacket » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:32 am

I used Companion Miniatures.
They use the same designer as Foundry (Mark Copplestone - when he left Foundry he took the originals with him, and sold them to Companion Miniatures!) but are a lot cheaper.

MadBanker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MadBanker » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:36 pm

As said, foundry are the best looking but I also really like Magister Militum range: http://www.magistermilitum.com/prodtype ... istory=cat
They are really nice and well animated.

MarcusBrutus
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by MarcusBrutus » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:21 am

With all respect to Foundry, Companion Miniatures Caesarian Romans are the best 25/28mm figures for the period. They are, in fact, perhaps the most beautiful figures I've ever seen. Sadly, I'm not really interested in the period which precludes me from buying them, but I can never put them down at conventions without sighing!

Return to “Modelling”