Later Carthaginian bolt throwers and camps

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

gavin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Later Carthaginian bolt throwers and camps

Post by gavin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:34 pm

Can any one point me in the direction of a 15mm bolt thrower that is suitable for Carthaginians.

Essex Miniatures appear to have 2 or 3 but not sure if any are right for my list. UK based suppliers would be great!!

Also, I need to put a camp together but have no idea what a Carth one would look like, any idea where to get bits for this too??

Cheers in advance :D

gavin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by gavin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:58 pm

Come on guys, some of you must be able to help in ref to what a carthaginian camp should look like. Not too worried about the bolt throwers, but really need a camp (obviously)

Would a few tents and a palisade be ok?

How about any off the following, with a tent or two and barrels sacks etc:

The palisade pieces (PAC02) will fit on top of Pac 01. Rather fancy that. :lol:

Or did the Carthaginians never have camps like these?? Any help will be gratefully received guys.

karakhanid
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by karakhanid » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:30 am

Hello, due the Annibal's allies (gaul and celtiberian) a round shaped palisade on the top of a hill (a castrum) would fit better to me as Cartaginian fortified camp. A mix of tents and straw roof round houses inside and some stakes on the slope will also look good. All that IMHO.
Mikel

gavin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by gavin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:07 am

A round shaped palisade you say? hmmmm....... bugger.

mikekh
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by mikekh » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:22 am

The Carthaginians fought the Romans and there is no reason suppose that they would not have copied/modified the Roman way of doing things, if they felt they needed to, in much the same way that the Romans took the idea from Pyhruss. Anway, how many ways are there to effectively (field) fortify an area? Ditch, palisade/obstruction, rectangular...
As for Roman camps current belief is that the palisade may well have looked like a row of giant caltrops rather than a ensembe of vertical slats. (One of the Osprey books about Romans shows a nice picture of this).

Cheers

Mike

gavin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by gavin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:33 am

Well, I may go for a combo of PAC 01 and 02, but only do it like the entrance to the camp, as opposed to the whole camp itself.

Return to “Modelling”