Rzhev - A Bridge Too Far

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Rzhev - A Bridge Too Far

Post by Horst »

Red Steel, Rzhev: What genius designed this map placing a road and railway along rivers? Sorry, but two bridges after each other is a newbie mistake for custom stuff, but not official one after 5 years. This is plain shameful. I can't believe no one bothered about this.
Luckily, it's so (apparently) noticeable right on the first move in the scenario, so I can fix it myself quickly to repeat my deployment phase.
Rzhev.jpg
Rzhev.jpg (458.27 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Horst

Re: Rzhev - A Bridge Too Far

Post by Horst »

This is more to my likening, including swamps on rivers, no forests on rivers to better distinguish, no swampy (rail-)roads, open ground on bridges, and most importantly more farmland around settlements and on placed houses. How should these people survive without supermarkets?
Rzhev Improved.jpg
Rzhev Improved.jpg (411.41 KiB) Viewed 952 times
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Horst wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:24 pm Red Steel, Rzhev: What genius designed this map placing a road and railway along rivers? Sorry, but two bridges after each other is a newbie mistake for custom stuff, but not official one after 5 years. This is plain shameful. I can't believe no one bothered about this.
What is the problem with it? It can't be a big one if noone complained.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

During Beta (almost a year ago):

Capture d’écran 2020-10-29 101427.jpg
Capture d’écran 2020-10-29 101427.jpg (240.2 KiB) Viewed 924 times
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

I still fail to see why we can't have two bridges next to eachother.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

The problem is that the roads crossing on a river do not form a bridge and therefore the movement is slowed down at this place which is considered an obstacle(=river) despite the presence of these roads crossing...
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Which is precisely why it has been made that way, because units don't always get the luxury of perfect movement directly at the front lines. IIRC Gabe brought it up quite a while ago in the public forum, and I answered that there's a destroyed bridge trigger for it from start. Roads crossing or not does not make a diff here.
Horst

Post by Horst »

It's fine about blowing bridges. Sorry, but that destroyed (double) bridge inside this settlement was not visible to me, as such undesired double-bridge constructs are halfway under water. Btw, there is a double-blowup of the same bridge lower-right too although no real issue.
I'm only glad to have passed this scenario now after all my nitpicking corrections that spoilt the fun to play through for the first time. Thx, Termi, I totally missed the (for real this time) buggy double-cross bridge that I'm going to fix too.
Buggy or not, settlements on rivers are terrible to defend anyway and should better be avoided, including such double-length bridge constructs that already look terrible enough.
Btw, I also don't get it why the town "Gravatovo" (lower-right) had to be ownership of my allied player with all the other deployment hexes around. I corrected that unnecessary annoyance too. :P

Return to “Order of Battle Bug Submissions”