[Game Play] [HALFAYA PASS DEFEAT] [v. 8.0.4]

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators, Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

JohnRN
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

[Game Play] [HALFAYA PASS DEFEAT] [v. 8.0.4]

Post by JohnRN » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:09 pm

It's with fear and trepidation that I mention a game play bug as some pro will let me know it's a personal operator error...lol.

I am a scenario or three into DESERT SAND campaign and one of the victory requirements in a battle was that two German 8.8 cm Flak/Anti-Tank pieces be placed in specific spots to defend Halfaya Pass. I placed them in the exact/indicated spots, well in advance of the last move of the battle, even after eliminating all visible/known British enemy...and my battle was declared, not a stunning victory, but.... DEFEAT!?? Did I miss something?

Thanks for checking...

uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: [Game Play] [HALFAYA PASS DEFEAT] [v. 8.0.4]

Post by uran21 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:00 pm

In Halfaya Pass scenario objective to place (single) 88 mm gun on the specific hex is added during scenario play and auxiliary 88 mm gun appears on the map to make it possible.

I could not reproduce the problem with victory conditions. It could be you were trying to place one of your core guns instead of the auxiliary one given specifically for the task.

JohnRN
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JohnRN » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:02 pm

I found the problem. Very elementary, very simple...embarrassing I missed it. I anticipated more armor aggression, so I'd purchased additional 8.8 cm flak/anti-tank pieces. It turns out, one must place THE designated/provided 8.8 gun directly on THE indicated spot, as shown in the objectives. I LOVE this game and am still learning it's finer points.

THAT being said, this is my current big pastime game. It drives me mad when it's thrown askew by updates by Slitherine....or STEAM....or both...LOL!

And with THAT being said, I am eagerly awaiting the new Russian expansion campaign...and equally dreading the havoc it might wreak on my saved games &/or current game play.

Thank you kindly for your interest in my issue.

PoorOldSpike
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by PoorOldSpike » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:40 am

JohnRN wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:02 pm
..this is my current big pastime game. It drives me mad when it's thrown askew by updates by Slitherine....or STEAM....or both...LOL!..
Do what I do and DON'T rush to update anything..:)
The only version I currently play is dear old 7.1.6 on my new PC.
I've got 7.1.8 on my old PC but I don't touch it because 7.1.8 wrecked the graphics (see other threads).
When Red Star comes out it'll allegedly update the game to 8.0.4 so I'll wait awhile after RS is released to see how it's accepted by the community, and if they give it a bug-free clean bill of health, I'll buy it, but not before.

PS- I hear update 8.0.4 was accidentally released prematurely on Steam a little while ago, but was hastily withdrawn back to the drawing board because it's incomplete.
Personally I don't buy anything from "Big Brother" Steam any more because I got fed up of the way they update all our games whether we want the updates or not, grrrr..

JohnRN
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JohnRN » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:18 am

First off, Old Spike,

That's one incredible avatar you have there, sir! WOW!

Yes, STEAM was appropriately named because THAT's what's coming from my ears anymore when I try to play OOB there. When I attempt to load my last game, like a time machine with the date knob conveniently broken, I either end up in the middle of 3 campaigns I've not been able to complete due to updates! LOL! I never know WHAT mood to be in. It's summer here right now with temps in the 90's/low 100's, so I thought I'd play the WINTER WAR campaign, right? The poltergeist in the machine dumps me either in the DESERT WAR or the JUNGLES of Asia. I think I'll wait till the Russian DLC is $4.99....JUST to show them who's boss. LOL! I've been sorely tempted to revert to my last binge game, SUDDEN STRIKE 4...for a few months.

I must be getting old because I can't recall "updating" anything. Changes just APPEARED with STEAM...and come to think of it, with Slitherine, too. I'm sure you know the drill. You load everything up, ready to play where you left off and suddenly...HEY! My tanks have no barrels and support vehicles look like battle-ravaged! Or...you've been awarded a BETA TESTER specialty to your Slitherine rank! Ha-ha...

At this point, OOB is behaving like a really bad girlfriend!

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:23 am

JohnRN wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:18 am
..I must be getting old because I can't recall "updating" anything. Changes just APPEARED with STEAM...and come to think of it, with Slitherine, too. I'm sure you know the drill..
Luckily, I bought OOB from the Matrix site (non-Steam) about 18 months ago, first by downloading the free base game (7.1.4) and then buying all the DLC's.
Unlike Steam, Matrix don't automatically update anything, we have to update manually ourselves which suited me fine, and I updated to 7.1.6 which worked great.
Later I updated to 7.1.8 but it was a bad call because the graphics are bugged so I don't play OOB any more on that PC.
However I bought a new PC last week and have installed OOB from Matrix on that, and updated to 7.1.6, so that's what I play OOB on now..:)

I suppose you could uninstall OOB completely and then re-install and update to 7.1.6, perhaps the forum experts could let us know if that's possible?

JohnRN
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JohnRN » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:46 pm

True... I think, though, I'll let things just be for awhile. Let the dust settle. When the game falls by the wayside, WE know it's still a gem. Down the road, I'll see @ reverting to the best version. Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know how it goes if/when I do decide to tangle with it.

Cheers!

Return to “Order of Battle Bug Submissions”