Fantasy General 2 on switch

Fantasy General II - Invasion is the reimagination of the strategy game classic from the 90s!

Armies once again draw battle-lines on the war-torn land of Keldonia, and a new generation of commanders will test their bravery and tactics against each other. Fantasy wargaming is back!
mutantmeteor
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Fantasy General 2 on switch

Post by mutantmeteor »

I’m a huge fan of the game on console and it was a no brainer to pay again for this on switch.
However, I feel badly misled by the screenshots in the announcements thread as they clearly show unit sizes are the same size as pc and the other consoles. The switch version only has one soldier represented per unit so rather than a unit having 8 spearman it shows only one unit on screen and this seems to apply to all units.

Even the Nintendo store shows the game with the proper unit sizes. Can one of the devs please explain ?
OBSCVRA
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Fantasy General 2 on switch

Post by OBSCVRA »

Also a huge fan of the game (series even) and have been keen for the switch release since it was announced. The unit sizes don't bother me too much so far, except maybe for the crows (one tiny little crow is a bit hard to spot). I do agree though that the marketing material on the switch store should reflect the switch version.

The main issue I find is some of the UI elements, for example the unit purchase price when upgrading or purchasing units is too small. Can almost read it, but not quite... This is playing on the switch lite. Hoping this is something that can be remedied, the tooltip and font scaling option needs to go higher than it does currently.
VonGlue
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by VonGlue »

I already own the game on ps4, and was really eager to purchase it for the switch, I love the game and I think it's perfectly suited for that kind of gaming platform.
I was sorely disappointed when I discovered the "one soldier unit size" setting, which I hoped was modifiable in the graphical setting, but that's not the case. I confirm that even on the Nintendo eshop the screenshots shows the alleged switch version with normal unit size, and I urge the devs to give us some explanation, and if possible to add a graphical setting in a future update. The game is surely playable nevertheless, but is currently not as advertised, and that's a pity.
Let's hope to hear from the devs soon.
VonGlue

Post by VonGlue »

Any news regarding the units size issue (one soldier per unit), currently still not as advertised here?
mutantmeteor

Post by mutantmeteor »

Despite being a huge fan of Slitherine and a customer across iOS, pc and console for multiple games I can’t believe the disdain showed by both the developer and publisher on this issue.

You have sold a product based on false information ie your own marketing materials show full unit sizes on the Nintendo switch. I thought I was buying the full game based on your marketing and I haven’t touched the game as one unit per squad is just jarring. I honestly wouldn’t have bought the game on switch if I had known.

At least address this issue and if it was a technical problem then just explain and at least acknowledge It was a mistake to show screenshots that are different to the actual game.
VonGlue

Post by VonGlue »

Yeah, I feel the same way. I am sorely disappointed in the complete lack of communication from the developers, this issue has been brought up several times over the past months, but still no response whatsoever...
FalconDR

Post by FalconDR »

I realised I have the same problem, only one guy showing for every unit on the switch.

Personally, I don't think this in on purpose but merely a bug because there are other issues like no combat and marching sounds and the whole lighting in the start region just being waaay too bright (maybe the contrast is just too high but you can't change it on Switch). Additionally, there is the annoying controller vibration after every game round and after confirming game options (why?). It's dialed up to 11 so it's so long and loud you can barely hear the game sound (the part that's working, that is) and you can't turn it off (why?). I also assume there could be one instance where an auto save just went gone (after reloading it a couple of times) and was replaced by an older an but that could've been my fault.

As the Switch is a closed system basically I can't imagine I'm the only one having this annoying glitches.
VonGlue

Post by VonGlue »

The saddest part is that, after two months,there hasn't been any kind of response or acknowledgement of those issues. It seems to me that they don't care at all about the switch port, and this is a shame, even more so considering the steep price...
FalconDR

Post by FalconDR »

I suppose Slitherine doesn't have much experience with the Switch but if they like money they should better not ignore it since afaik many PC gamers moved over to play "classic" PC games on it.

On the other side 2 months isn't that much time to make a patch and the gameplay isn't broken soo.. I'll wait a while before advising my gaming circles against buying it on Switch.
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

After all this time still no patch for the switch. :x

Return to “Fantasy General II - Invasion”