bhgs challenge

A forum to post news about tournaments around the world. Please post any such messages here!

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Ghaznavid, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

bhgs challenge

Post by navigator »

Anyone know the date? and location?
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: bhgs challenge

Post by dave_r »

The location is going to be in Brighton as the LVS is being decorated.

I _think_ the date is a week after easter - which again, I think, is the 5/6th April. Don't quote me on this or book holidays or anything though :)
Evaluator of Supremacy
navigator

Post by navigator »

Tim Childs very kindly sent me this... (would be good to put it on the bhgs web site?)

Challenge 2013 will be on 5-7 April 2013, at the LVS Hassocks school, just off the A23 towards Brighton. This is a change of venue for 2013 only as the Ascot school is having some major works done.

The website for the school etc is here, so you can see where it is - www.lvs-hassocks.org.uk/. There will be accommodation and food available on site as usual.
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

Oh shucks.... I cannot make that one. I was wondering if the new ipad v2 app lets you play from NZ :). Byron may still be interested in playing if transport can be arranged. (Yeap he didnt fancy 3 weeks in NZ and AU)
Proelium: Wargaming rules for 3000B.C. - 1901A.D.
Hordes of Models and Buckets of Dice
Web: www.quickplayrules.com
Social: www.facebook.com/quickplayrules
Twitter: @quickplayrules
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs »

does anyone know where the details for this can be found: rules version, periods, prices, correspondence addresses, organisers etc. Would normally look to the BHGS site but that seems unchanged in months.
TimChild
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by TimChild »

grahambriggs wrote:does anyone know where the details for this can be found: rules version, periods, prices, correspondence addresses, organisers etc. Would normally look to the BHGS site but that seems unchanged in months.
Yep - sorry about the BHGS site at the moment. Personnel changes... Thanks to Nobby for all his excellent work and help! Matt Haywood (our webster again) now has access to the site but needs time to get familiar and the site back up to date.

BHGS Challenge is indeed moving for 2013 ONLY. The date is 5-7 April 2013, and the venue is LVS Hassocks, West Sussex, which is just off the A23. This is a change in venue forced upon us by refurbishment at the Ascot school, and we expect to be back in Ascot in 2014. The need to find a new venue has also slowed down announcements, and I am grateful in the end to LVS for making their sister-school available as a 1-off substitute.

Other than the change of venue, the format will remain the same. FOG:AM will be an Open competition, 15mm 800 points, 25mm 650 points, both on 6' x 4' tables. Since even I am now the proud owner of a paper copy of v.2, arrived this week from Germany, David and I assume that by April everyone will be up for using v.2? There will be the usual 5-round format (3 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday) with the Friday funday. And the ever-popular beer fridge will be there again. :D

There will be on-site B&B accomodation as usual (although slightly fewer rooms available than last year), or for those seeking a little more mod cons there is a
Travelodge at Hickstead (one junction north on the A23, about 10 min.s drive from the school) or another at Horsham.

We will have the run of the school itself, which is an amazing place - a former nunnery converted now into a school for children with learning disabilities (no
comment about wargamers...). Very picturesque. Those into JK Rowling's ouevre may be amused to know that wheras the LVS Ascot has accomodation in blocks named after brewers, Hassocks' blocks are named Slitherine, Gryffindor etc. I haven't determined how to sort attendees into which house yet - I may draw names out of a Sorting Hat! :lol:

Entry will be £30 per entrant plus accomodation (the accomodation cost will be pretty much the same as last year, but unfortunately the base entry has had to
raise on last year to cover the additional expenses I am expecting, in particular the cost of PayPal). Once the details are up on the website and we have our PayPal buttons sorted out, we can start takng entries. Any queries in the meantime can come to me at my usual email address t_and_e.child@tiscali.co.uk, or of course via this forum.
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

I see some more details are on the BHGS site - e.g. cost per room of £26 (I imagine per night; though it doesn't say). A bit incomplete as yet as the how to pay and who to pay is not there yet.

While the venue is further South than last year, flying might be an option for some as it's 16 miles (about 30 minutes) drive from Gatwick. I think return fares on easy jet from scotland/northernireland are around £70 at present.
TimChild

Post by TimChild »

I am delighted to say that we have got the website up and active again, and details for the FOG competitions and entry arrangements are all available by Paypal. Final Flames of War details are still being sorted out, and I am hoping to run a Saga competition this year as well, details to follow once my Saga-heroes have had a chance to have a pow-wow.

http://www.bhgs.org.uk

Looking forward to it already! :D

Tim Child
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

Great result to have the website back up Tim - well done to Matt for taking up the reins again.
Pete
TimChild

Post by TimChild »

Hi all,

We are already receiving entries, which is great news! Entries prior to 21 Feb are £30, and it's £35 thereafter. For some reason, most people last year entered quite late and therefore £30 is the same as those people paid last year. Please do enter as soon as possible, as (a) it makes my life a lot easier in terms of working out table-numbers to order and room-layouts, and (b) I would rather not be taking the extra £5 off you!

When paying by Paypal please could you makej sure that you make use of the notes facility so that it is absolutely clear to us who you are and what theme you are entering. On the payment by Paypal section, you need to seperately order 1 set of entry (+ however-many nights' single or twin accommodation) for each entrant (you can't order multiple entries and accomodation for you and several mates, although of course there is nothing to stop one person paying for several different entries).

Before clicking on Pay Now in the Paypal section, you should see a “add specal instructions to the seller” button. Click on that, and type something like “[your name], FOG 15mm, twin with [your mate]. [your normal e-mail address]”.

The correct e-mail address for each player in the notes field is critical as the email addresses people use for their Paypal is very often wildly different to their actual name - as well as players paying for other individuals!

Once you've done that, click Pay Now, and the job’s a good’un. :)

Cheers,

Tim
TimChild

Post by TimChild »

petedalby wrote:Great result to have the website back up Tim - well done to Matt for taking up the reins again.
Speaking of the BHGS website, this year's competition calendar is now up. If anyone is aware of (or running!) an event that is not listed, please could you let us know and we will get it on there. Event name, date and rulesets is the most important info, but a contact email or webaddress as well is ideal.

Cheers,

Tim
TimChild

Post by TimChild »

I am delighted to be able to confirm some of the pre-action Friday fun for this year's Challenge.

We will be having a Saga competition this year (details to be published shortly, but pretty similar to the format at Warfare, but with the new factions added). For those that either haven't yet experienced Saga, or can't get enough of it (and there are a lot of those!), Ian Mackay will be hosting demonstration and participation games on Friday. Saga is a really entertaining Dark Ages skirmish wargame using 25mm figures and plenty of opportunity to play on pretty terrain. The battleboard system is innovative (for figure-gaming - keen boardgamers may have come across similar concepts) and really challenging, providing an ultimately simple and very quickly-learned game but with with huge scope for player-skill and real flavour for each different type of nation. WAR is rapidly becoming addicted and I hope to be able to bring my Welsh to the party for at least a game or two on the Friday morning.

And (drum roll please) ... scramble, scramble as Biggles will be once again be gracing the air on the Friday at Challenge. Chris Hanley has confirmed that he will be able to come, providing us with the thrills and spills of WW1 aerial dogfighting at its dramatic (and chaotic) best. I have been carrying the pilot record for Oberleutenant Karl Menckoff (currently with four confirmed kills to his record) in my wallet for nearly a year, waiting for the chance to leap into action again! For the as-yet-unitiated, Chris's "Biggles Flies Unzipped" is a thing of joy, one of the undoubted highlights of my wargaming year.
Robert241167
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Robert241167 »

Hi guys

Coming from Yorkshire would Hassocks be the best station to arrive at?

Thanks

Rob
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

Burgess Hill (same line, the step before Hassocks) seems a bit closer. http://www.traintaxi.co.uk seems to suggest both stations have taxis though Google Street View only actually shows the vehiclkes themselves at Burgess Hill.
TimChild

Re: BHGS challenge

Post by TimChild »

Great to see so many people at Burton this weekend, even if a lot of the Hellos were restricted to a smile across a crowded room!

An urgent reminder to get your entries for Challenge in quick - the £30 entry fee rises to £35 after 20th February. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Tim
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

I'm looking to see if anyone is interested in sharing travel for this. My preference is to travel down on the Friday during the daytime. I live in West Yorkshire within easy reach of the A1 and M1 so I'm not too far out of the way from the Northeast. Alternatively, I could use either the A1 or M1 to travel south and could pick someone up en route. If you're interested, please drop me a PM.

Cheers,

Kevin
TimChild

Post by TimChild »

We are beginning to be pressured about numbers for the on-site accomodation at LVS Hassocks. There are fewer berths at Hasocks that we normally have available at Ascot. Players who who need accomodation should please book quickly.

Tim
TimChild

Post by TimChild »

Hi all,

Sadly, I have only had 1 entry this year for 25mm FOG at the Challenge. I'm going to have to pull the comp (RJ-C has kindly said that he's happy to float to the other FOGs) unless I suddenly get a flood of entries. If anyone was planning on entering the 25mm, shout URGENTLY!

Cheers all,

Tim
davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by davidandlynda »

Its also just over a week before your lists are overdue(21st March)but still plenty of time to get that entry in
David
butcherboy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by butcherboy »

I would like to know how the 25mm entries are going as I have already sent my list to Andy but if cancelled I would like to enter the 15mm competition.
Steve Brown

Return to “Tournaments”