FoG 'bootcamp' - Manchester - November 9th

A forum to post news about tournaments around the world. Please post any such messages here!

Moderators: hammy, Ghaznavid, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

FoG 'bootcamp' - Manchester - November 9th

Post by hammy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:33 pm

A Field of Glory 'bootcamp' will be held at the MAWS club on Nov 9th 2008. The club meets at the Emlyn Hall, Emlyn Street, Walkden, Manchester, M28 3JZ.

The event will start at 10am and is open to players of all levels of experience. The idea is to provide an easy way to get into the rules with the help of players who have already played plenty of games.

There will be a series of mini tutorials to explain the game as well as opportunity to play with help on hand to cover any questions no matter how trivial or complex.

Armies will be available to borrow if required.

Entrance is £3.00 per player (juniors free) to cover room hire.

Booking and enquiries to: Paul Reid e-mail: paulreid28@hotmail.com phone: 01204 481609

Quintus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Quintus » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:12 pm

What a great idea!

(Unfortunately I can't make it that day.)

Redpossum
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Redpossum » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:52 pm

That's a Fantastic idea :)

I desperately wish I could be there, but 6000 miles is a bit of a long trip...

How about doing this in San Diego or Los Angeles sometime early next year? :) :) :)

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Outline of Days Events

1. Intro to FoG by Hammy

2. Demo of game set up. Pre-battle initiative, terrain selection, terrain positioning, troop deployment, ambushes and flank marches

3. Demo of movement phase. (before armies in charge reach) CMT's, difficult moves, double moves, Battle lines, etc

4. Demo of Combat. Impact phase. Abridged (sneaky) movement phase to show movement to add to combats. Shooting, including effect of terrain, disruption, disorder. Melee phase showing simple combat moving up to complex multi-battle group combats with max use of POA's, troop types, disruption, etc (this also in the impact). Effect of combat with CT's and following JAP for obviously routing Romans

5. Lunch

6. Break up into pairs for individual games

There will be plenty of time for questions at the end of each phase.

We are expecting people who have only ever played snakes and ladders to those who are hard core gamers. So please turn up, but let us know at Pauls e-mail/contact details above.

It would also be nice to know what you want out of the day, how much experience you have and if you are bringing an army so we can get a good match up. We also have armies to borrow, so what might you want to try.

BrianC
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by BrianC » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:19 pm

Great idea. Can you guys set up a web cam for others distance challenged who would then be able to watch?? :D

hammy
Field of Glory Team
Field of Glory Team

Post by hammy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:47 am

BrianC wrote:Great idea. Can you guys set up a web cam for others distance challenged who would then be able to watch?? :D
That's not a silly idea but at the moment it could be difficult due to technology limitations (the club hall is not really in the 21st century technology wise). It might be possible to do something we based in future though. I shall have to think about it.

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Eleven people confirmed so far. :)

Please let Paul know if you are coming so Colin can buy more bacon. :D

He ran out at the Doubles last month. :(

Sober, hungry wargamers :cry:

philqw78

Post by philqw78 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:43 am

Just a reminder for you all

(move this back to the top of the Forum, and I've really got nothing more to add).

Get yourselves along to MAWS this Sunday.

david53
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by david53 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:54 pm

Just like to thank all the people who organised the event and also to those who came along a nice day was had. The dice fell well for me 2 sixs and 3 fives out of six dice needing fives was well lucky archers against lance Cav. Hope we can build on this event and keep the enthusium for FOG going. I would recomend a day like this to anyone.
Dave :)

Return to “Tournaments”