Moderator: Pocus

Private-Pike
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Speed of turns

Post by Private-Pike »

Hi, been playing the game about a week now. Good game, im liking it. :D

Question for the devs.

Can the game, or is the game, capable of using multi CPU’s ?

I have a nice PC, and game runs fine, but… as the game progresses turns take longer. Obviously there is a lot of processing going on. I checked task manager and left it open on 2nd screen while playing the game on the other. The game appears to only use one logical processor. I have an 8 core CPU so task manager shows 16 Logical processors. Most of the time 15 of these processors appear to be doing not very much, when I end turn one of these processors seems to be doing all of the work.

So is the game making use of all this CPU power – or not ?

Thanks.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Re: Speed of turns

Post by Pocus »

No, it requires a different approach to building a program, very complex and prone to error. That's one of the big hurdle preventing most processors to be used in so many games.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
Private-Pike

Post by Private-Pike »

Hi Pocus.
Thanks for the honest answer.
I just finished my first proper game, came 5th playing Britonnae, which I didn’t think was too bad.
Anyway, any tips on how I can speed the game up? I didn’t time it, but each turn is taking, I dunno, 30-90 secs each time, maybe more. And when you are eager to crack on, it gets frustrating. I don’t see any obvious bottlenecks, RAMs good, GPU is good, Disk is good, overall CPU is good, tops out at about 20%, but when checking the cores there is one core doing all the work. Im not sure what I can do to speed up performance. Maybe nothing ☹
Still a great game, bout time Paradox had some competition.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Yes, not much but hardware upgrade with a CPU with higher frequency, sorry!
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
rannouco
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by rannouco »

Pocus wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 am No, it requires a different approach to building a program, very complex and prone to error. That's one of the big hurdle preventing most processors to be used in so many games.
Hello,
I had an idea. It is probably not a good idea, as I'm not developer, but sometimes bad idea could be a first step to a good one. So, could it be possible to use just an other core to resolve IA during the turn of human. It will not be multicore, but just use of human reflexion time to resolve IA reflexion time. One core for human, one core for all IA strategies. As the game is a WEGO, this solution might be possible, no ?

Hoping my idea (and my english) is not too bad ! ;)

Corentin

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires - Tech Support”