Getting Started

Moderator: Pocus

AndrewGardner
Slitherine
Slitherine

Getting Started

Post by AndrewGardner »

We have prepared some instructions for getting started with modding Empires. The document is a work in progress, but if you are interested in modding it will hopefully be of interest. We are excited to see what you come up with.

http://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index. ... es_Modding
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Getting Started

Post by eddieballgame »

Excellent, thank you.
Tiberius337
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Tiberius337 »

Awesome stuff. Much appreciated! Thanks!
AndrewGardner
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AndrewGardner »

A reminder that if you are modifying scripts, CSVs, or maps, it is recommended that you create your own scenario to work in as described at the link above rather than editing gameplay files directly in your game installation. Otherwise, you may be not be able to play in multiplayer games.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

I was wondering where & how one would be able to adjust the 'difficulty settings'.
sage3
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by sage3 »

What is the relationship between the *.xlsx files in Data\Database\Empires_DB.zip and the CSV files? The xslx files are easy to read and change, but appear to have no game effect. Are they intended to be "saved as" to the .CSV files in order to be used?

There's some additional weirdness here. The CSV files don't open correctly in US versions of Excel, unless you text edit "sep=;" at the beginning of the file. This has to be then removed before the game runs, as it isn't read correctly. There might be a better way to do this, but I couldn't find it. (More details: https://superuser.com/questions/180964/ ... n-of-excel)

Edit: better way is to change the OS setting. See the link above.
Last edited by sage3 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
AndrewGardner
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AndrewGardner »

sage3 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:43 pm What is the relationship between the *.xlsx files in Data\Database\Empires_DB.zip and the CSV files? The xslx files are easy to read and change, but appear to have no game effect. Are they intended to be "saved as" to the .CSV files in order to be used?
That is accurate, the XLSX files are a source for the CSVs the game reads and would need to be exported as semicolon separated CSVs. Also note that while we try to keep the zip file current in the updates, the CSV versions may be slightly more up to date.
AndrewGardner
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AndrewGardner »

eddieballgame wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:24 pm I was wondering where & how one would be able to adjust the 'difficulty settings'.
You would have to search for references to GetDiffMode() in the scripts, it is used an various systems.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Thank you, sir.
Altipueri

Post by Altipueri »

Have you had any luck in changing the difficulty eddie ?

I changed one getdiff setting but it seemed to make no difference - I still got hammered by epirus in 4 turns.
Wulfburk
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Wulfburk »

How do i change the name of a faction? ive managed to change the colour of many factions and also add a custom soundtrack.

However, the names i place in all the columns in FACTIONS.CSV didnt work, as in game it didnt appear any different. I also tried changing the names in SETUP_FACTIONS and AEP_FACTIONS_v4f, but neither worked as well. The Vanilla faction names still continue to appear.

I dont want to change their intern name nor their tags, just the actual name that appears in game, and the name used for armies and so on. Basically changing Rome to Romani, Bactria to Baktria, Carthage to QartHadast, Seleukos to Arche Seleukeia... (for those familiar i basically am making an Ode to Europa Barbarorum)
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Altipueri wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:54 am Have you had any luck in changing the difficulty eddie ?

I changed one getdiff setting but it seemed to make no difference - I still got hammered by epirus in 4 turns.
I have not been able to spend a lot of time to date on this...but I am looking at the files & trying to figure things out.
One thing I have been thinking about was a way to speed up the building turns. Primarily to see if it can be done & to create a mod that would allow someone to play a faster game, relative to say 200 or 300 turns as opposed to the now 500 turn game.
storeylf
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by storeylf »

Hi

Are there any plan to allow for a global mod structure like in FOG2. I'm playing around with stuff that is not scenario specific so would like to play any scenario and pick up those mods.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

You can edit the base game data, although that's not the official way to mod a game, that's your game in the end :wink:

So you can edit the data folder directly.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
Surt
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Surt »

AndrewGardner wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:15 pm We have prepared some instructions for getting started with modding Empires. The document is a work in progress, but if you are interested in modding it will hopefully be of interest. We are excited to see what you come up with.

http://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index. ... es_Modding
Sticky?

Return to “MOD”