ICBM on Windows 7

The game that will "ruin friendships", ICBM allows up to 8 players to engage in total nuclear war. The winner shall be the one who lost the least.
robertjgowans
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

ICBM on Windows 7

Post by robertjgowans »

Will ICBM run OK on Widows 7?
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Re: ICBM on Windows 7

Post by Ufnv »

robertjgowans wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:53 pm Will ICBM run OK on Widows 7?
Windows 7 is officially not supported, but the game should run mostly OK.

You may expect the problems in the part related to the Multiplayer ladder, especially if you do not use Steam.
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

I have 2 gaming laptops, 1 is win 7 & 1 is win 10.
Game runs very well on both.
Be careful, however when fooling around with screen resolutions & 'Full Screen' vs 'Window Mode'...can lock up, badly...requiring a restart & then an edit of the 'ICBM.CFG' file in the saves folder.
robertjgowans

Post by robertjgowans »

I am having trouble running the game on Windows 7. When the page with PLAY on it appears and I press play the screen flickers a bit then a message comes up stating - This program requires a missing Windows component and to check for a solution on Mircosoft site. But nothing happens when I do. I have ICBM located on C:\program files(x86)\slitherine\icbm\launcher.exe

Can any one help me to run game please.
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

Does it indicate what component is missing? I believe it is something related to network, as the game tries to access PlayFab
robertjgowans

Post by robertjgowans »

Hi, No it did not indicate what was missing. I have since uninstalled and re-installed game but now when I reach the PLAY page the following comes up-

An error has occurred in the script on this page
Line 16
Char 15042
Error access denied
Code 0
URL Http://wwwslitherine.newlauncher/game/icbm
Do you want to continue running scripts on the page Y or N.
What ever I press page just crashes to desk top

Any ideas? I have tried Slitherine support but no reply todate.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

I doubt this will be of any help, but I will comment just in case.
The only issues I have had is when I fooled around with 'Full Screen' vs 'Window Mode', screen resolutions, & trying to mod the Map text file, for example.
Otherwise my 'Win 7' (very good one) has no other issues with this fine game.
robertjgowans

Post by robertjgowans »

I havn't mucked about with anything at all, having been unable to run the game since downloading. I have also successfully downloaded the 1st update but still not able to run game. I have tried contacting Slitherine support (3 or 4 times now) but no reply - If you are out there 'Support' - please give me a reply and let me know how to run this game if you can.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

Try bypassing the launcher; shortcut the 'exe' file (ICBM.exe) & run as administrator.
robertjgowans

Post by robertjgowans »

Hi Eddieballgame, Thanks for your help. I see launcher and launcher.exe where I have game downloaded- but where do I locate ICBM.exe?

Still no help or message from Slitherine Support team.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Which email address did you send your query to? You should also check your junk folder etc to ensure that replies were not sent there by your email.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
robertjgowans

Post by robertjgowans »

Hello pipatslitherine, Thanks for your reply. I have checked my inbox, trashbox and spam box but nothing showing in any of these. I sent my e-mails to Support@Slitherine.co.uk. each day since the launch of the game on the 17th Nov. In case you cant find them can you please look at my explanation details which is on the ICBM forum, thanks again for your reply, hope you can help me to run this game, Kind Regards, Robert.
solops
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by solops »

A lot of us out here still on Win 7. I have not tried to run it yet on my Win 7 machine, which is my main PC. My Win 10 laptop runs it OK. This thread has me concerned.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

robertjgowans wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:26 pm Hi Eddieballgame, Thanks for your help. I see launcher and launcher.exe where I have game downloaded- but where do I locate ICBM.exe?

Still no help or message from Slitherine Support team.
In the game's main directory you will see 2 'ICBM' icons; the first one is the 'exe' file.
To check, right-click on that icon & then click on Properties & it will reveal the type of file it is.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

While we will help as we can on Windows 7 I think it is important to be clear - we don't support the game on Windows 7 nor guarantee it will run. W7 has been out of any support for nearly a year now, and frankly you shouldn't be running it any more, especially if connected to the internet. You can upgrade to W10 for free.

The issue you are seeing on the launcher should now be fixed on the server side, are you still unable to launch the game, or is it just the missing components?

Cheers

Pip
robertjgowans

Post by robertjgowans »

Hi Eddie and Pip, Have tried Eddies suggestion - but no luck. What is happening now is that no message is appearing but the screen is flickering for a couple of seconds then the screen goes to desktop. Tried the launcher Pip as you suggested but same results as above. I did ask (see first post) if Windows 7 would run the game and was told mostly yes but not pbm.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

I need you to be more specific. Running via the launcher, do you still see an error message or not? If the game starts up but just flickers then exits, is there any error log etc that is generated?

Cheers

Pip
robertjgowans

Post by robertjgowans »

Hi Pip, I have just uninstalled everything and started afresh. After downloading and pressing play I get the message - that program is missing a windows component. I then went to the launcher as suggested by eddie and done what he said by right clicking on the icbm.exe then made a desktop shortcut. On pressing that icon no message appears but the screen gives a few seconds of flickering then goes to desktop with nothing more happening. Rgards, Robert.
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

robertjgowans wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:22 am Hi Pip, I have just uninstalled everything and started afresh. After downloading and pressing play I get the message - that program is missing a windows component. I then went to the launcher as suggested by eddie and done what he said by right clicking on the icbm.exe then made a desktop shortcut. On pressing that icon no message appears but the screen gives a few seconds of flickering then goes to desktop with nothing more happening. Rgards, Robert.
Don't you have the file called Fatal.txt in the Documents/My Games/ICBM/ directory? If there is some, what is its content?
robertjgowans

Post by robertjgowans »

Hi Pip, I have two fatal symbols - when I left click on the first one it says - what program do you want to use to open this file and lists a number of choices. The other fatal symbol when I left click on it gives a list stating INFO:: starting ver. 1.0.1, steam???

Return to “ICBM”