Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Edmon
Slitherine
Slitherine

Take part in the Panzer Corps 2021 World Championship

Post by Edmon »

Take part in the Panzer Corps 2021 World Championship

Today we open sign-ups for what we hope will be the biggest, most important tournament for Panzer Corps ever.

Many will be familiar with the competitive scene in the Panzer Corps franchise (Panzer Corps 1 had over 10 millions multiplayer games played). Slitherine ran several tournaments so far, both for Panzer Corps and its sequel Panzer Corps 2.

This time we want to take it up a notch and start the first Panzer Corps World Championship.

It will be a very long tournament which will have participants face opponents from all over the world, for a total duration of 18 rounds. It will begin on September 1st, the day in which World War II began, and it will last until the end of May 2022. Our goal is to announce the new Panzer Corps World Champion on D-Day, 6th June 2022. 

Everyone who owns Panzer Corps 2 is eligible to join, and it is absolutely free to do so. All that players need to do is to either log in with their Slitherine account, or make a new Slitherine account (once again, entirely free) and click on Join under the World Championship icon in the Tournaments page on our website.

Thanks to Slitherine’s Tournament system, players won’t have to worry about anything: their opponents will be picked by the system (which follows Swiss Tournament rules) and paired multiplayer games will be created automatically. They can be played either live or on PBEM, all the participants will need to do is to open the game and play. They will also receive notifications by mail when a new round is starting, or when it is their turn to play.

It is now possible to leave a mark in the Panzer Corps history: who will be the first World Champion?
darthlocutus11
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Take part in the Panzer Corps 2021 World Championship

Post by darthlocutus11 »

What will be the scenarios ? and will the scoring be adjusted ?

Thanks for this initiative, I love this game.
ElLobo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by ElLobo »

Sounds nice,....a long, very long tournament, but luckily with time to play,....and players that, probably enlisted twice???
looks like it will be a great fun!!!!
DarkBlueInk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by DarkBlueInk »

I am interested in participating, but the linked tournament page has no details beyond start date and duration of Round 1.

Curious if anyone has found any real details. Is matchmaking regional? I see that Round 1 is 15 days, but is that enough time if we complete only 1 turn per day? What is the scoring system? How does a 9 month tournament fit into real life and be fair to all players? If I have no outside life and I participate in every possible round, does that give me an advantage?

Edit: I found that if one views the tournament page on a moblie device the rules page link is not visible (or hard to find). But on the desktop site most of my questions are answered.

It still looks like you are at a disadvantage if you cannot participate in all rounds.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

DarkBlueInk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:23 pm I am interested in participating, but the linked tournament page has no details beyond start date and duration of Round 1.

Curious if anyone has found any real details. Is matchmaking regional? I see that Round 1 is 15 days, but is that enough time if we complete only 1 turn per day? What is the scoring system? How does a 9 month tournament fit into real life and be fair to all players? If I have no outside life and I participate in every possible round, does that give me an advantage?

Edit: I found that if one views the tournament page on a moblie device the rules page link is not visible (or hard to find). But on the desktop site most of my questions are answered.

It still looks like you are at a disadvantage if you cannot participate in all rounds.
Hi, we're in the process of restructuring round duration: we'll make an official announcement soon, but it's certain we're going to make each round last longer.

The start date won't change, the tournament will still begin on September 1st.

Ideally the rounds will be long enough so that each players can reasonably play enough rounds. We've learned a lot from previous tournaments, too, and we have tweaked the scoring accordingly. Matchmaking is not regional: your opponents will be selected according to the Swiss Tournament rules.
DarkBlueInk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by DarkBlueInk »

Thank you for replying, @AlbertoC. I did sign up and I'm looking forward to the tournament.
brianjones17
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by brianjones17 »

AlbertoC wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:03 pm
DarkBlueInk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:23 pm I am interested in participating, but the linked tournament page has no details beyond start date and duration of Round 1.

Hi, we're in the process of restructuring round duration: we'll make an official announcement soon, but it's certain we're going to make each round last longer.

Ideally the rounds will be long enough so that each players can reasonably play enough rounds. We've learned a lot from previous tournaments, too, and we have tweaked the scoring accordingly. Matchmaking is not regional: your opponents will be selected according to the Swiss Tournament rules.
Can I make a suggestion to help with the problem of slow game play between opponents is it possible to have a box for players to fill in before each round advising there opponent of preferred playing time eg My best times are between 5.00 and 11.30 UTC time. That way you can both try to coordinate Play time so its possible to have multiple turns. opponents should also be encouraged to communicate by the chat box regarding best play time.

I really enjoyed the Path to 1942 tournament except for slow play time and look forward to World Championships
BRIANJONES17
ElLobo

Post by ElLobo »

brianjones17 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:11 am

Can I make a suggestion to help with the problem of slow game play between opponents is it possible to have a box for players to fill in before each round advising there opponent of preferred playing time eg My best times are between 5.00 and 11.30 UTC time. That way you can both try to coordinate Play time so its possible to have multiple turns. opponents should also be encouraged to communicate by the chat box regarding best play time.

I really enjoyed the Path to 1942 tournament except for slow play time and look forward to World Championships
Does this not make it more complicated?

I think it would be more important a good Chat like in Panzercorps 1, that everyone can speak with his opponent, finding the time to play?
In Panzercorps 1 was open the chat before you have been able to play, so your opponent needet to read what you wrote, he was nearly forced to!!! so you had a guarantie of comunication!!!

I would welcome this for the World Championship!!!
brianjones17
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by brianjones17 »

that was before my time but sounds good Anything that improves game play
BRIANJONES17
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

brianjones17 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:11 am

Currently it is not possible.

What is feasible under the current system is to use the in-game's chat to communicate with your opponent. It'd be best to greet them and let them know about your timezone and preferred playing time.
faos333
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by faos333 »

👍 great and exciting news
Battlefield Europe get the most from Panzer Corps 8)
Download the new 2.4 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
ESPADATXI
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by ESPADATXI »

bendtheknee wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:05 am what will be the rules of the parties? have you listened to all complaints about scores of the last two tournaments ?
This is a very important point on which nothing is said. If it is a competition for points then it has to be clear "what" is what gives the points and of course be something coherent with the game.

Currently there would be three scoring items. -1.The victory squares at the end of the game. -2. Retain the victory squares for the maximum number of turns regardless of the ending. -3. Enemy units destroyed.

In the last tournament point 1. The value of squares at the end of the game was little or nothing. It does not seem to me an acceptable formula and also more things must be taken into account, if what scores the most is 2. retain the squares for the maximum possible turn scoring little or nothing else then the players are encouraged to play suicidal in order to retain the squares and in the end it is successful in points ... this would seem absurd to me and contrary to the logic and spirit of the game.

You could also put a small negative score for each destroyed own unit, in this way players would not get a free score that destroyed units.

Anyway this is a very important point and it should be established in a logical and coherent way and of course we should talk about it
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

Really looking forward to having a go at this,
But there seems to be a real lack of information regarding how it's going to work! I take it that they'll be paired games (FOG style) but no information on armies, dates, theaters, if or not traits will be used, or on how the scoring actually works!
I know a lot of the guys have already been involved in testing, and the previous tourney, but for those of us who have not, it would be nice to know. Impossible for us to prepare and practince, if we don't know what to do :)
Can anyone offer any info' ?
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

There'll be more information soon. Everyone seems to of taken holidays at the same time which is why its a little quiet.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

Ok, that's fair enough....... Thanks for the reply.

Return to “News & Announcements”