Panzer Corps goes Pacific

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Panzer Corps goes Pacific

Post by uzbek2012 »

Last edited by uzbek2012 on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jonesy1760
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jonesy1760 »

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.....ITS!!!!!!...HAPPY ,HAPPY ,JOY ,JOY!!!
Steini18
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Steini18 »

I really hope that ships will have subsystems and the use of different weapons like "Strategic Mind". It was a great fun to battle ships vs ships and use your guns several times. Ships are strong as a complete division and should use it full potential. Shooting only once would miss a huge chance for gameplay. Thank you.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

In answer to "Why the criticism for PC2?"
Purely practical. I have a year-old games-friendly PC, but PC2 hardly runs on it. That's not good and even if it was the best game ever, I wouldn't play it since I don't like random crashes, lags and slow animations. Even more so when every other game I've tried works fine.

Purely personal. I struggle with 3D game images generally and prefer a top down view. Add to this that the contrast on PC2 is terrible, and that the image quality appears no better (maybe even worse) than OOB. A 2d top down option may also solve the reduce the resource-hog problem.

So PC2 might well have great features, it might well be the best thing since sliced bread, and other people may love it, but since I can't play it and can't see it properly, all that design effort is wasted on me.

Bear in mind too that PC1 still has good mileage and a great mod library but would benefit from what appear to be relatively modest tweaks to future proof it. PC1 players who could have been fans might well feel let down when they see what might be good development on a platform that can be a resource hog and that has image contrast problems that were flagged during development.

I think you'll find that at least some of the PC1 players are disappointed with PC2 rather than hating it.
jagfour
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by jagfour »

Just took a look at this interesting game. I saw the new Japanese aircraft and saw that their nick names are missing. They must be included on the aircraft id's. The Zero, Betty, Jake, Wildcat et al should be on aircraft units.
Khancotlette
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Khancotlette »

jagfour wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:18 pm Just took a look at this interesting game. I saw the new Japanese aircraft and saw that their nick names are missing. They must be included on the aircraft id's. The Zero, Betty, Jake, Wildcat et al should be on aircraft units.
I'd beg to differ. In the American tradition, probably, yes, these names are iconic, but these are just military slang nicknames used by the American armed forces, the Japanese themselves never used them. That would look the same with giving Cold War-era Soviet vehicles their NATO codenames, it's just not authentic. There are plenty of nicknames, after all. The Germans called T-34/76 'Mickey Mouse', for example. Should this be in the game as well? I understand that these nicknames are very well-known, but when you buy these units for your campaign that's like playing from the Japanese perspective, and all these Zeros and Betties would look weird, don't you think?
jagfour

Post by jagfour »

No. Virtually every pacific wargame I have ever played uses those names.
uzbek2012

Post by uzbek2012 »

The Steam version of the game Panzer Corps 2 is required to run.

This is just another DLC that will not fix anything global , just Chinese and Japanese dummy units will appear )
jeannot le lapin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by jeannot le lapin »

uzbek2012 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:44 pm Image
The Steam version of the game Panzer Corps 2 is required to run.

This is just another DLC that will not fix anything global , just Chinese and Japanese dummy units will appear )
You should reread the first post... :shock:
Looks like you don’t like this game at all :(
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

jagfour wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:37 pm No. Virtually every pacific wargame I have ever played uses those names.
That's great, but does it change anything in what I've said? The game shouldn't focus only on the American perspective, even more, buying these units would be available only for the Japanese, who of course never called their units that way. Of course, there are trophies available, but it's technically impossible to make trophy units have different names to the 'basic' units and I don't think that we should break all the Japanese-perspective immersion to make it so.
jagfour

Post by jagfour »

I live in the western world. A Zero is a Zero and a Jake is a Jake.
BaronVonKrieg
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BaronVonKrieg »

jagfour wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:35 am I live in the western world. A Zero is a Zero and a Jake is a Jake.
i also live in a western world and jake is raiden
VirgilInTheSKY
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by VirgilInTheSKY »

jagfour wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:18 pm Just took a look at this interesting game. I saw the new Japanese aircraft and saw that their nick names are missing. They must be included on the aircraft id's. The Zero, Betty, Jake, Wildcat et al should be on aircraft units.
A6M Type 0 is "Zeke", not "Zero", one mistake when you mention the nickname given by the allies to the Japanese aircrats. Wildcat is okay because they are referred that way by the side using and manufacturing them, but things can get complex for late war japanese aircraft in the same way it was for German vechicles. i.e. the Nakajima B6N is called "Jill" in allied reference, but also has its own official name "Tenzan" in Imperial Japanese Navy, so which one should be put in game? The Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf. B is called "Königstiger/King Tiger" in allied reference but there is no such official German name, yet we see that name in game. The Brümmbär is called "StuPa" by Germans as abbreviation from "Sturmpanzer", yet there is no "StuPa" in game. There should be a principal, but should not be a "must".
VirgilInTheSKY
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by VirgilInTheSKY »

adiekmann wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:20 am Since there were different size aircraft carriers, I wonder if they will vary the aircraft capacity of different classes of aircraft carriers?
Possible. Each carrier actually has a seperated entry for how many aircraft it can hold, so if they want to do something to it, they can. Check Panzer Corps2/Content/Data/Airfields.csv and you should be able to find what I mentioned.
jagfour

Post by jagfour »

Mitsubishi J2M Raiden is a Jack.
Aichi E13A floatplane is a Jake.
Zeek is a Mitsubishi A6M type 0 hence Zero. I am fully aware of the term Zeek, but I haven't seen any game use Zeek. I like Zero better. It reminds me of the cream coloured aircraft. Zeeks remind me of the green coloured ones.

What the hell has European tanks got to do with this?
BaronVonKrieg
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BaronVonKrieg »

jagfour wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 pm Mitsubishi J2M Raiden is a Jack.
Aichi E13A floatplane is a Jake.
Zeek is a Mitsubishi A6M type 0 hence Zero. I am fully aware of the term Zeek, but I haven't seen any game use Zeek. I like Zero better. It reminds me of the cream coloured aircraft. Zeeks remind me of the green coloured ones.

What the hell has European tanks got to do with this?
no they are not
Mitsubishi J2M Raiden is a Mitsubishi J2M Raiden
Aichi E13A floatplane is Aichi E13A floatplane
Mitsubishi A6M is Mitsubishi A6M

ecerything else is nickname for them
Khancotlette

Post by Khancotlette »

jagfour wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 pm Zeek is a Mitsubishi A6M type 0 hence Zero. I am fully aware of the term Zeek, but I haven't seen any game use Zeek. I like Zero better. It reminds me of the cream coloured aircraft. Zeeks remind me of the green coloured ones.
So, what should we use then — a codename (Zeke) or a nickname (Zero)? And why? What's the system? If there is nothing official in it, we could also use the own Japanese nickname "Reisen", basically meaning "Zero Fighter". You're just proposing to add unofficial nicknames into the game, where these planes would be bought by the Japanese side first and foremost, it just looks weird when you're a Japanese commander and have "Zeros" and "Jakes" under your command. As I've said before, let's name T-34/76 "Mickey Mouse", why not? Il-2 Shturmovik should be "Black Death" and U-2/Po-2 would be named "Sewing Machine", since that's a game mostly about German point of view. It just doesn't make sense. Nicknames are possible, for sure, but they should be at least national, from the nation's own perspective. If I'm not mistaken, BM-13 is "Katyusha" in the game, but not "Stalin's Organ" as the Germans used to call it.
jagfour

Post by jagfour »

Are you using your real name BaronVonKrieg? I insist you use your real name. I mean, you don't want to be labelled a hypocrite do you?

There is a nice space lower centre of the aircraft unit markers where the 'nick names ' can be placed.
BaronVonKrieg
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BaronVonKrieg »

jagfour wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:16 pm Are you using your real name BaronVonKrieg? I insist you use your real name. I mean, you don't want to be labelled a hypocrite do you?

There is a nice space lower centre of the aircraft unit markers where the 'nick names ' can be placed.
i am not a military aircraft used by a specific country, and nobody that knows me calls me like this just like Japanese wouldn't call their planes like that :shock: there is also a space in game where you can rename units so you can write jack jill and whatever there
Stilletto

Post by Stilletto »

I've really had no interest in Panzer Corps 2 and didn't think much about it. When I saw the new Pacific Theater I bought PC2 yesterday. Good thing it was 40% off!

Return to “News & Announcements”