Panzer Corps 2 - World Championship - Round 2 Update

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Edmon
Slitherine
Slitherine

Panzer Corps 2 - World Championship - Round 2 Update

Post by Edmon »

The Panzer Corps 2 - World Championship moves into the second round today and the opening battle for the top of the leader board has been won by Kleko11, whose score of 2891 comfortably places them in the top spot.

Leader Board - Round 1
1) kleko11 2891
2) nutoha 2771
3) tkrysiak 2676
4) Folklore 2606
5) Bobkg 2584

However, everything is still to play for as we move forward on to our next map: El Alamein. As high scoring players are placed against each other, can we expect the end of the second round to change everything at top?

Only time will tell.

Tournament Scoring Update

We're aware that there has been some confusion and discussion on how the scoring works in the tournament scenarios. We would like to apologize for the lack of communication from our part, but we've listened to your feedback and we're working towards improving the system.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able get a patch out in time to make significant changes to how scoring works for the upcoming Round 2, but we'll have an update out before Round 3 starts to allow us to address some of the well vocalized issues.

In the meantime, shedding some light on how scoring works on the scenario in Round 2 might be helpful for all players. The score in this round is calculated as follows:

Each player gets 25 points at the beginning of each of their turns for every Victory Hex under their control.

They will also get additional points for destroying enemy units (the exact number of points is equal to unit slot cost of the unit destroyed).

You can view your score and your opponent's score at any time, by moving mouse cursor over one of player icons in the top-right corner of the in-battle screen. Note that the scores are only updated when the turn is ended.

You can also view the scores, at any time, from the Tournaments page on our website.
Trepko
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - World Championship - Round 2 Update

Post by Trepko »

Hello,
Thank you for the update ! Can't wait to play the scenario which seems promising !

Quick question: besides the score rules (25 pts/hex etc..), the briefing talks about "Victory conditions" (full victory hexes control for the allied / at least 1 vic hex control at the end for the axis) ==> is there a specific reason to "win" the scenario ? or only the score matters ? (depending on how the fight goes, it is easy to have a player who wins the scenario with less points than a player who didn't win the scenario but who controlled more victory hexes faster)
urbanov4
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urbanov4 »

So, this is the end of my participate. Seeing that, no corretct method can be used and even the bug (winning before last turn=less points) weren't changed I feel it no more interesting. I was at somewhere at 112 th place after the 1st round with 2 wins, as in the last tournament I was somewhere 30-40 by winning all games. I know, I could play by the "special rules" and would try not win even when I could, and ask my opponent not giving up, for we can get both more points in that case....but it is another kind of "game", not a wargame, and not thatt I like.
arttu777
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by arttu777 »

Hi. I do not understand how I lost the game ROUND #2
I kill all enemy units and conquer all city's in turn seven. Turn 7/15 :D . How is it possible to have fewer points when an opponent? Would I have to wait for the last turn and then take the last city?
arttu777
Sirgr3x
PaganCyC
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by PaganCyC »

arttu777 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:32 pm Hi. I do not understand how I lost the game ROUND #2
I kill all enemy units and conquer all city's in turn seven. Turn 7/15 :D . How is it possible to have fewer points when an opponent? Would I have to wait for the last turn and then take the last city?
arttu777
Sirgr3x
You only get the points for holding victory hexes if you play the turns, so finishing early costs you points.
PaganCyC

Post by PaganCyC »

I suggest adding the ability to concede a match AND a way to withdraw from the tournament.
ElLobo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by ElLobo »

PaganCyC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:39 pm
arttu777 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:32 pm Hi. I do not understand how I lost the game ROUND #2
arttu777
Sirgr3x
You only get the points for holding victory hexes if you play the turns, so finishing early costs you points.
Sorry this I do not understand, to be faster means you loose? Also when you conquer all victory hexes?
This system is not logic.....

This should be changed or it will be boring, player that are loosing need to be kept playing, but when they have only one last victory hex surrounded by enemies till the last round is no fun
PaganCyC

Post by PaganCyC »

ElLobo wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:37 pm
Sorry this I do not understand, to be faster means you loose? Also when you conquer all victory hexes?
This system is not logic.....

This should be changed or it will be boring, player that are loosing need to be kept playing, but when they have only one last victory hex surrounded by enemies till the last round is no fun
Yes, that is how it works. Slitherine says it will be fixed in the next patch, before the next tournament round.
arttu777

Post by arttu777 »

ElLobo wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:37 pm
PaganCyC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:39 pm
arttu777
Sirgr3x
I lost lots of point :(

This system is not logic...... Yes no logic.

Yes must changed.
arttu777

Post by arttu777 »

Justify the winners.
A good programmer would be able to correct this error already easily. This correction would also succeed in retrospectively if desired.
Why Slitherine does not work like this?
Why do you keep humiliating a loser?
Now the disappeared player wins, is this right?
rth

Post by rth »

mir geht es auch so , ich habe alle Einheiten des Gegner besiegt bis auf 2 Flieger mit Reststärke eins, und noch eine Landeinheit, alle Siegfelder in Runde 8-10 eingenommen und ich habe weniger Punkte als der Gegner, früher war doch immer so das man um so schneller alles hat man mehr Punkte bekommt
als Deutscher/Italiener läuft die Runde noch ,
das Programm hat den ersten Kampf abgebrochen nach Eroberung des letzten Versorgungsfeldes, ich hätte gerne weiter gespielt und noch den letzten Flugplatz erobert und die Flieger runter geholt
Cowboy00: 50 * : 500 : 550
rth: 721 * : 258 : 979
albamar
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by albamar »

Hello,
Just to comment that I would like to be removed from the Panzer Corps 2 Championship

I am a usual campaigns player and Round 1 was my first multiplayer scenario for PC (1 or 2), in fact.
But I do not like these rounds, where you are going to be the defender and the attacker at the same time, playing both sides in the each round.

When I signed for the Championship, I thought this was going to be a series of scenarios, where you are playing the attacker or the defender, but only one side per round (even if the side is different depending on each round).

I think that this championship is best for people used to multi player games :)

Please, grant the proper points to my partner in this 2 round (remsen), due to my resignation,

In any case, good luck with the rest of the rounds, because I can see that there is plenty of work behind, preparing the different scenarios.
And good luck, as well, to the rest of participants in the Championship!
Lifever
Panzer Corps World Champion

Post by Lifever »

Play and wait .. enjoy the moment, IGNORE THE PAIN and see what happens.

My advice is to take SCREENSHOTS in the final moments or final rounds so you still got MEMORY & PROOF of a strange scoring result.

Like I said several times over the last week - IF THE SCORING SYSTEM FAILS US, WE CAN STILL PUT IT RIGHT BY OWN INITIATIVE

It is not that hard to do and every tool to do it is available.

But until then - we need to trust, wait and see
Dzidek
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Dzidek »

Sorry Lifever, but this tournament cannot be saved anymore. A shadow of injustice had covered him and would remain with him to the end. After the first round, there was still a chance to save him, but nothing was done about it.

I stupid thought that the week off between rounds was to be used to analyze unresolved battles and add points due to the opponent's resignation during or for an earlier win. As you can see, I was wrong. Even if it was done now, it won't help, the shadow will not disappear because the opponents have already been selected for the next round. I wonder if the organizer has at least records of previous battles and can analyze them or have they evaporated after the round?

People quit. The rules are not precise. Are there any detailed rules for this tournament at all? Probably not, but I hope I'm wrong.

I understand that it is supposed to be fun and pleasure, but it is a pity that only some of the participants are having fun and the rest are more or less harmed. The organization of this tournament looks as if a few boys from the neighborhood came up with the idea of ​​organizing the tournament without having much idea about it. Sorry for the harsh words, but how could you organize such a big tournament without taking into account the problems with the players' resignation during the match (after they started losing) or a quick win?
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

Dzidek wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:33 am Sorry Lifever, but this tournament cannot be saved anymore. [...]
I hope you take it well if I firmly disagree.

The solution is pretty easy and it is my specialty to turn crap around, so I still think it is.
Blind optimism is not one of my traits though

Good things need time and this tournament is for a year - so it does not run away. Those that care keep their screenshots and will get a happy ending.
The game mechanics are in order for the most part. It would be more severe, if there would be a bug that makes playing impossible or unfair.
It appears to me the game is good enough in its current form - although it could still need some tweaking here and there for MP.

Your observation, that potential has been compromised and was wasted, disappointed me as well.
The participants vastly outdid the last great PzC1 tournament - which is the only reason I cared about it.
Without activity and community this format is pointless and the PzC2 Championship worthless.

Anyway...

We could also see it as a test of mental toughness. In a war we need to grind and suffer before the story unfolds.
Hopefully this will also be achieved here, bc the ones willing to put in the effort will stand out.
The weak will quit - we don't want them in the corps anyway.
The rest is taken care off as we speak - an azubi was already put to work this morning.
bendtheknee
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by bendtheknee »

We're aware that there has been some confusion and discussion on how the scoring works in the tournament scenarios. We would like to apologize for the lack of communication from our part, but we've listened to your feedback and we're working towards improving the system.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able get a patch out in time to make significant changes to how scoring works for the upcoming Round 2, but we'll have an update out before Round 3 starts to allow us to address some of the well vocalized issues.

I
A more elaborate briefing on different configuration point (unit experience, prestige per turn, expe growing; etc ...) of the game would be a good improvement.

Currently in combat with Pink1a (bubu13 vs Pink1a) he remove all his units during the deployment turn to create units without experiences. Devastating mistake ...
A little clarification in the briefing can prevent this sort of thing in my opinion.
bubu13
PaganCyC

Post by PaganCyC »

bendtheknee wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:58 pm ...
Currently in combat with Pink1a (bubu13 vs Pink1a) he remove all his units during the deployment turn to create units without experiences. Devastating mistake ...
A little clarification in the briefing can prevent this sort of thing in my opinion.
I did the same thing and was so disgusted that I quit moving/attacking after turn 1. Eh, I should get matched up with an easier opponent next round at least.
urbanov4
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by urbanov4 »

Lifever wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:55 pm
Dzidek wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:33 am Sorry Lifever, but this tournament cannot be saved anymore. [...]
I hope you take it well if I firmly disagree.

The solution is pretty easy and it is my specialty to turn crap around, so I still think it is.
Blind optimism is not one of my traits though

Good things need time and this tournament is for a year - so it does not run away. Those that care keep their screenshots and will get a happy ending.
The game mechanics are in order for the most part. It would be more severe, if there would be a bug that makes playing impossible or unfair.
It appears to me the game is good enough in its current form - although it could still need some tweaking here and there for MP.

Your observation, that potential has been compromised and was wasted, disappointed me as well.
The participants vastly outdid the last great PzC1 tournament - which is the only reason I cared about it.
Without activity and community this format is pointless and the PzC2 Championship worthless.

Anyway...

We could also see it as a test of mental toughness. In a war we need to grind and suffer before the story unfolds.
Hopefully this will also be achieved here, bc the ones willing to put in the effort will stand out.
The weak will quit - we don't want them in the corps anyway.
The rest is taken care off as we speak - an azubi was already put to work this morning.
I think, there is no solution, After 1st round it should have been paired the winners. But now the pairing was by points (what we know, can be higher by losing slow, than for a fast winning). Only solution is restart the whole tournament with a correct method.
Folklore
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Folklore »

bendtheknee wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:58 pm Currently in combat with Pink1a (bubu13 vs Pink1a) he remove all his units during the deployment turn to create units without experiences. Devastating mistake ...
If a player blindly disbands all units without checking them first, no briefing can help him.
Also, I might be wrong, but in this round 2 map, the defender is vastly overwhelmed by attacking units. There is no way to win as defenders if the players have similar skills. That is why the current point system is better than a simple binary win/lose system. Otherwise, the majority of players will have 1-1, which kinda makes such a round of no avail.
StuG_Tutor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by StuG_Tutor »

I'm glad to hear they are working on a patch for the scoring system. I think the folks at Slitherine are probably stretched pretty thin juggling many priorities like just about everyone else irl--they've definitely got a lot on their plate!

These first two rounds have brought to light major issues with the scoring system and "opponent participation." How can we make the best of it? Many competitions have "qualifying rounds," and you have to exceed some minimum standard before the real competition begins. If the patch comes through for round three I think the best solution would be to reset scores to zero and treat round three as the first of a ten round championship which had two qualifying rounds. Any player who did not play all the turns they had the opportunity to in the first two rounds should be notified they did not qualify for the tournament and they have # days to appeal the decision.

Let's keep our eyes on how we can help the PC2 community develop a great tournament system. "Continuous iterative improvement"
"All models are wrong, but some are useful" --George E.P. Box

Return to “News & Announcements”