The Grand Campaign Mega Pack is coming!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Philkian
Slitherine
Slitherine

The Grand Campaign Mega Pack is coming!

Post by Philkian »

Slitherine, Flashback Games Studio and the Lordz Games Studio (http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com) are proud to announce the upcoming release of the Panzer Corps Grand Campaigns Mega Pack ’39-’45.

This bundle gathers all the 10 linked campaigns packed in one huge package. The player will have the chance to play all 150+ scenarios covering the entire war from the invasion of Poland and Norway on to the cold Russian winter against the Red Army on the East front, defend against D-Day and then take a final stand at Berlin.
Players can import their core force between the linked campaigns, or alternatively use a preset core force and play each of the campaigns on its own or jump in at any year. Gain skills and new equipment for your troops, lead them in a huge campaign map face the enemy and try to overturn your fate.

Owners of the existing DLC expansions will be able to receive a discount when purchasing the mega pack. Details TBD.

Get more information about Panzer Corps Grand Campaigns Mega Pack ’39-’45 on its official product page

The Grand Campaign Mega Pack requires the original Panzer Corps or Panzer Corps: Afrika Korps to play.
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: The Grand Campaign Mega Pack is coming!

Post by MrsWargamer »

The real obvious question is, precisely what do I get if I have all the other DLC already?

I won't mind some redundancy, sometimes convenience is worth something to some of us after all. One install and presto done has some merits. Some will rail at the idea of paying for it all over again, and then drop an equal sum of cash on a case of beer that is gone at the end of the weekend eh :)

So that is my interest level, is the mega pack really just the same content and nothing else, and really just that?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

In reality if you have them all already you wont get much, just convenience for when you need to install them and one installer instead of 10 to store. We are planning to patch all the DLC's, and the patched versions will be in the megapack. However these will be made available to everyone anyway so you don't need to buy the mega pack to to get the patches.

We're still finalising the plan of how we deal with it but the proposal is to set up a discount system that gives you a discount proportional to the number of DLC's you have. We have started work on it already.

E.g. If you have 4 of the 10 DLC's with serials registered to your account you would be able to get a 40% discount on the mega pack. We're not sure how to handle all 10 DLC's being registered as we can't have a $0 purchase so we may have to limit the discount to 90% if you have 9 or 10 DLC's registered.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Well a convenience has to be worth something :)

I have all 10 DLCs, but I would not expect a new program offering me a convenience to be free.

If it comes to pass you are able to design something sort of like the above, I am sure cool with it.

I am not sure I'd need it to be as severe as 90% off if a person owned all 10. I suppose it also depends on how simple it will be to implement to discounting process too. If you plan to make a discount, I only think it important to make it known BEFORE the item goes on sale, that past owners are being taken into account. You don't want the day 1 faithful to get upset over slow moving announcements about it.
I personally don't think you need to go past 75% off. And you might want it to be based on groups of purchases ie 1-3 or 4-6 or 7-10 and 3 set price reductions. I'm just thinking out loud here and just throwing out numbers too. 25%, 50% and 75% off. I don't have a calculator mind though so I can't know if those numbers are poorly thought out.

It comes down to, what is the full price going to be I suppose.
robman
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by robman »

Speaking as someone who has purchased "Kind Of Blue," "Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely," and "Workingman's Dead" more times than I care to count, I recommend that you guys borrow a trick from the music-reissue world and throw in some never-ever-released bonus scenario. Like a mission to kidnap Winston Churchill or something. :wink:
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We could do that but don't really want to force people to get the mega pack just to get the bonus content as it feels like a rip off.
Zhivago
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Zhivago »

Geez...I own Panzer Corps ($50.00); Afrika Corps; ($30.00), and all 10 DLCs (CD copies and downloads--$20 a piece with shipping) $280.00 invested (actually more if you consider shipping for the Panzer Corps and Afrika Corps. I feel I have gotten my money's worth out of it though. However, it would be a cool nod by Lordz Studios to create a disc of bonus DLC content which is free to people who bought some (or in my case all) of these games at full price.
Muddy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Muddy »

Excellent. I have 4 of the DLC and was about to buy the rest, so this news comes at a very good time. It will help keep my hard-drive neat, and squeaky clean. :D
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Bonuses are always nice. I don't think anyone needs to state the obvious :)

The Mega offering though, all it needs to be is to be a comfortable price for a new comer. Anyone that has not bought PC before needs a reason to buy the base game and then decide 'ok I need the campaigns' and not be defeated by the size of the price tag.

The brutal truth is, the real gaming world aka mainstream, is going to look at PC and the mega file and then the price and think, but this game is old now, and they want WHAT for it? That's idiotic, and they will just take a pass on the entire deal.
Putting it on Steam, well most gamers think Steam is fine as long as it means games for peanuts.

I have seen some games on sale for 75% off. 75% off of the whole enchilada. Granted, the example I saw, frankly the game is crap, and I wouldn't want it for free :)
But that is my opinion (and I couldn't care less what the fans of the game have to say about it).
The point is, we need to make newcomers into hard core fans of Panzer Corps.

PC was easy to buy on day 1. It was just PC and nothing else. It was just a game at an ordinary game price.
I dare say, if you had released PC for the first time as both PC and AK and all 10 DLC and for 75% of the full price of the items sold separate, you would still get people thinking 'are you insane? you want over 200 bucks for a damned computer game?'.

I know my son would be a hard sell, if he was asked to buy all of WoW or Starcraft in one gulp. Even though he owns all of it and loves both games.

I don't think ideally, the Mega Campaign file is going to be an easy route to a replacement for the individual files even if the individual files sold separate equal a greater cost in the end. Gamers simply refuse to think logically some times.
The best example, the discs mailed out. Frankly I can't think of a single valid reason for them. I can burn a single data file to a damned disc and put it in a dvd case for a hell of a lot less than 10 bucks. The item is worth barely 50 cents. The 10 bucks is all about the hassle of processing and shipping something the buyer could have done themselves. It costs me less than the cost of a hot chocolate to make anything including a blueray copy of anything on the market.

But like I mentioned earlier, convenience. How much will I pay to be simply just plain lazy?
Because that is all it is to me, a means to be lazy. I have the dlc files, and it is not a tragedy to install 10 files with 10 serials.
I can sit doing that while watching a TV show and give it no thought.
But a single file, very lazy friendly :)

If the plan is to create a PC2 offshoot, then I think the future of the Mega DLC is to be possibly short lived and likely doomed to be the equal of so many games that gain a gold edition. Perhaps all you can do, is re sell Panzer Corps or Afrika Korps and WITH all 10 DLC included for about the same price as buying the base game.

Maybe the base game should be a gold release and you either buy the gold edition or you don't. And maybe if you have a minimum number of dlc purhcases, you get a one size fits all discount off the gold release.

Making a nice multi priced DLC file option for those of us that already have the files, while potentially a nice gesture, might be the wrong idea too.
jcgator
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by jcgator »

This announcement entices me to raise a question I should have asked long ago. With the Mega release, will we now be able to play all the 150+ individual scenarios in the various campaigns as one-offs? I've read the press release/info and am not quite sure whether one will be able to play campaign-style only, albeit with various options as described, or if each scenario will be available separately, so to speak . The original game, (and Afrika Corps), includes several scenarios to play, but the Grand Campaign disc scenarios are only playable in the campaign mode. I've always wanted the ability to play, say, the Bulge, D-Day or Citadel scenarios as individual battles with the option to take the Allied side.

Will this be an option with the new release or have I been missing an obvious opportunity all along? As an owner of all ten discs I'm not sure I really need the Mega, but if the answers to my above questions are positive, then it would be worth it.
mautschi
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mautschi »

Will the update fix a few issues, too ? :)
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

mautschi wrote:Will the update fix a few issues, too ? :)
I think it would be fair if they asked what those were though :)
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

DSWargamer wrote:Bonuses are always nice. I don't think anyone needs to state the obvious :)

Gamers simply refuse to think logically some times.
The best example, the discs mailed out. Frankly I can't think of a single valid reason for them. I can burn a single data file to a damned disc and put it in a dvd case for a hell of a lot less than 10 bucks. The item is worth barely 50 cents. The 10 bucks is all about the hassle of processing and shipping something the buyer could have done themselves. It costs me less than the cost of a hot chocolate to make anything including a blueray copy of anything on the market.

But like I mentioned earlier, convenience. How much will I pay to be simply just plain lazy?
Because that is all it is to me, a means to be lazy. I have the dlc files, and it is not a tragedy to install 10 files with 10 serials.
I can sit doing that while watching a TV show and give it no thought.
But a single file, very lazy friendly :)
Having had two of my computers go belly up in a year and a half time span, I can attest to the fact that having the original discs is nice. Call me old-fashioned, but I'll pay more to get the hard-copy. Same deal with music CDs and movie DVD/Blu-Ray.
robman

Post by robman »

Zhivago wrote:Having had two of my computers go belly up in a year and a half time span, I can attest to the fact that having the original discs is nice. Call me old-fashioned, but I'll pay more to get the hard-copy. Same deal with music CDs and movie DVD/Blu-Ray.
An alternative is to back up the exe files to an external hard drive. Storage is ridiculously cheap these days and getting cheaper. Just make sure that you also save copies of the activation codes. I "print" my order confirmations to pdf and store them in the same backup folder as the exec files. I'm not saying this is "better" than an installation CD, just that it serves the same purpose.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

robman wrote:
Zhivago wrote:Having had two of my computers go belly up in a year and a half time span, I can attest to the fact that having the original discs is nice. Call me old-fashioned, but I'll pay more to get the hard-copy. Same deal with music CDs and movie DVD/Blu-Ray.
An alternative is to back up the exe files to an external hard drive. Storage is ridiculously cheap these days and getting cheaper. Just make sure that you also save copies of the activation codes. I "print" my order confirmations to pdf and store them in the same backup folder as the exec files. I'm not saying this is "better" than an installation CD, just that it serves the same purpose.
External storage drives are nice, but they fail too. Cloud storage is nice, but can be $$$. I still want my hard-copy. Like I said, I'm old fashioned. :)
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

Not like your hard copy can't fail at as well. I have a few, admittedly quite old, data CD's that aren't readable anymore due to aging.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Tarrak wrote:Not like your hard copy can't fail at as well. I have a few, admittedly quite old, data CD's that aren't readable anymore due to aging.
Well, if that happens, then maybe I'll buy the mega-pack 20 years from now--or from some company that is repackaging/redoing Panzer Corps like Lordz Studios did with Panzer General.
robman

Post by robman »

Tarrak wrote:Not like your hard copy can't fail at as well. I have a few, admittedly quite old, data CD's that aren't readable anymore due to aging.
Too right! People sometimes forget that something is "backed up" only if you have copies of it on at least two separate drives--and if one fails, you must immediately make new copies of the files that were on it.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

My suggestion regarding the backup, is always to have two backup of the same file.Preferably in two different support media. So I'm with robman. :)
That's what my professional experience taught me in all these years.
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

VPaulus wrote:My suggestion regarding the backup, is always to have two backup of the same file.Preferably in two different support media. So I'm with robman. :)
That's what my professional experience taught me in all these years.
Well, I do have two back-ups--the download on my computer, and the CD ROM.

Return to “News & Announcements”