The perfect Easter Egg for a wargamer! Up to 50% off…. ever

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Philkian
Slitherine
Slitherine

The perfect Easter Egg for a wargamer! Up to 50% off…. ever

Post by Philkian »

Easter is finally here and we want to celebrate it with our special Egg Hunt! We are offering our loyal wargamers a great 10% discount off everything in our store.

All you have to do to enter the coupon code shown on our Easter Promo page . Enter this coupon code on the checkout page to get 10% off your order. Easy, isn’t it?

But there’s more…scattered around the website in news items and game pages you will find hidden Easter Eggs like this Image.

When you find an Easter Egg, move the mouse pointer over it and you’ll see the special coupon code. Enter this coupon code on the checkout page as above and you’ll get anything from 30%-50% off!. Each code can only be used 5 times so make sure you find it first!

All coupon codes are valid until the 3rd April. Only one coupon code can be redeemed at a time. Coupons cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or with gift cards. 10% coupons can be used multiple times, but 30% and 50% coupons are limited to 5 uses each.

What are you waiting for? It’s the perfect time for a wargamers scavenger hunt!
jonnieb57
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: The perfect Easter Egg for a wargamer! Up to 50% off….

Post by jonnieb57 »

Hi Slitherine team,

HELP! :!:

Hmm, I feel a bit depressed.

I just ordered two titles like about just a very short time ago today after finishing my beta test for Husky and now re-open my email to download my new games and see this!

Could we possibly find a way to apply these wonderful discounts to my order of minutes ago? I have two different 30% codes here. :lol:

Thanks.

Jonathan
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

I found four of the 30% eggs (I cant imagine where the 40% or 50% eggs might be, probably only one of each, if they even exist at all) but ALL of them were used up when I went to checkout! A fifth egg I found on site said it was used up when I hovered the mouse, but the other four didnt, until I got to checkout -which I didn't complete!

I get tantalized by a "up to 50%" email, spend time going through every game, news item, gift certificate etc. and all for naught, so forget it! No sale! I'm fairly frustrated by those "limits" so I didnt purchase two games.
teboj17
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by teboj17 »

Yes I was tempted to pick up a game or two with at least 30% off. 10% I don't think so. I guess I will wait till a couple of the titles I have been eying go on sale.
FJeff
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by FJeff »

Tempest wrote:I found four of the 30% eggs (I cant imagine where the 40% or 50% eggs might be, probably only one of each, if they even exist at all) but ALL of them were used up when I went to checkout! A fifth egg I found on site said it was used up when I hovered the mouse, but the other four didnt, until I got to checkout -which I didn't complete!

I get tantalized by a "up to 50%" email, spend time going through every game, news item, gift certificate etc. and all for naught, so forget it! No sale! I'm fairly frustrated by those "limits" so I didnt purchase two games.
Same here - very frustrating. I guess I won't buy Decisive campaigns.
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

Easter Egg Hunt, or how a seemingly great idea can get so much undeserved negative results.

I predict next Easter, Slitherine will have learned that this was not a good idea, sadly for the wrong reasons.

I suspect it will likely dampen any desire to hide presents on the site for other festive dates too (I mean come on guys, aren't you supposed to be grown men, you whine louder than teenagers (I have one I know).

I want to proudly state just to counter the comments, I was offered a free copy of Husky (from being on the beta team earlier, I had to drop out though and thus was not expecting anything of a sort), so I open my email program this morning and there it was a free serial. But you see, the day before, I had already bought it in the normal way (and full price too and with no regrets).
I'm sure many would have decided to get a refund and employ the free serial.

But I told Ian, nope, it was a good purchase, I had no complaints paying. And I offered him the serial back.

What the heck is with so many grown men in this hobby whining all the time about the cost of wargames, whining about never getting deals, and now when they get a nice opportunity they act like spoiled brats at an Easter egg hunt. You guys are embarrassing. It's no wonder I have discontinued using my genuine age on the internet any longer. I'd rather be considered 19.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

DSWargamer wrote:Easter Egg Hunt, or how a seemingly great idea can get so much undeserved negative results.

(I mean come on guys, aren't you supposed to be grown men, you whine louder than teenagers (I have one I know).

What the heck is with so many grown men in this hobby whining all the time about the cost of wargames, whining about never getting deals, and now when they get a nice opportunity they act like spoiled brats at an Easter egg hunt. You guys are embarrassing. It's no wonder I have discontinued using my genuine age on the internet any longer. I'd rather be considered 19.
And you're hypocritically whining about alleged "whiners" from your high horse! You have no right to upbraid others for voicing legitimate feedback on this "sale" because we didnt appreciate having our time wasted for nil. You obviously have plenty of money and love paying full price for everything ( :roll: ), but other people are just broke, many are even unemployed, plus it's tax time, so $100+ for wargame like PzC (and it IS an inflated price for a game), is not justifiable, especially for those trying to make ends meet. Some people will just go find a torrent, I'd rather pay the developers.

And this is just business, Slitherine is a business, not an elementary school, and it didn't hand anything out for "free" here either. If it's going to advertise a sale ("up to 50% off") then it should just do so, without any silly limits and tricks -period! I know they would have closed more sales this way -better for them, better for us.
MesaDon
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MesaDon »

I don't see why a problem. Cute idea. I have no problem paying full price for a quality game and have not regretted any Slitherine purchase that may have been discounted after I bought. The extra time spent enjoying the game more than made up for the added cost. Heck many complained about the $20 price of BA for iPad. That is the cost of going to two movies, six hours of entertainment compared to 100s of hours playing BA. Sounds like a deal to me. I am far from rich being a poor school teacher and I will whine on occasions and I am beyond 60. Anyway it was a cute and fun idea besides a great way to get people to check out the website and other games. Geez that was long winded, must come with age.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys this was just some fun. There were savings up to 50% and we made it very clear how it worked. I don't understand the backlash but we'll probably never do it again because of the moaning. It took a fair bit of effort to set up so thanks for the appreciation.
johntindall
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by johntindall »

I think it's fair enough to feel disappointed when offered a discount, put in some effort and then be told it's already gone. I'd probably feel the same.

On the other hand I thought it was a clever idea and indeed, a bit of fun. Perhaps it wasn't perfect the first time but I'm sure (like all ideas) it could be made better.

For those who are unhappy, what would you suggest?
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

I don't really understand the backlash either, the first post was pretty clear about how it worked I think, and there is still a basic discount for everybody? 10% may not seem much to some, but Slitherine is a company, not a charity. But I can understand being sour about finding an egg and then finding out the code will no longer work, that would be frustrating.

I think it is a fun idea, I got lucky because I checked the forum and saw the initial post and less than an hour had passed. And yes, I can personally confirm there was at least one Easter Egg with 50% discount, and no I did not share this information (location/discount code or whatever) with anybody else, I don't like to spoil such actions. But maybe some people did, and than the eggs would have been gone rather quickly I guess.

But overall, the intention of the gesture was clear to me, a very limited time offer, 'while stocks last'. Dear people, please don't demand not to be dissapointed, keep the expectations realistic. There is still a discount for everyone, and there have been multiple discount events in the past, so it's not as if you'll never get a discount or anything. I know, it's easy for me to say, I did not miss out. Well, in case anyone like to hold that against me, let me be clear: I do think it is sad that some people missed out, having found a code but it being already gone when ordering is frustrating, and I don't mind people expressing their opinions. But. I don't understand the complaints directed towards a company that tries to give you a discount?

I am used to internet auctions, not the 'buy it know'-kind where the items can be browsed for from the comfort of a chair. No, this is where inventories of bankrupt companies are auctioned off, and I spent my time walking through half-empty shops and factories with inventory lists, making notes & snap-second judgements, and then afterwards spending half a day to follow the auction, and then pick it up within a very limited time-frame.
I'm like a vulture, picking the best bits left out of someone else's misery, but there are a lot of other vultures, and they may want exactly the same thing that I'm looking for. Which in my case is all used, second-hand stuff, no guarantees, and if you get a bad deal or missed something there is nothing you can do, it's just life I guess. That or I've been stupid, which has also happened. And I'm not exactly rich, one of the reasons I follow auctions is because that's the only way I can afford some things.

So this might explain why I'm not easily offended when 'missing out' on a good deal. The only trouble I had is that my bank foolishly tried to stop me (iDeal payment system was broken again), but I have backup plans for these cases. Which worked. And if it hadn't worked, there might be a another chance sometime later. Hopefully.
vstabler
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by vstabler »

DSWargamer wrote:Easter Egg Hunt, or how a seemingly great idea can get so much undeserved negative results.

fully signed
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Tempest wrote:

(I mean come on guys, aren't you supposed to be grown men, you whine louder than teenagers (I have one I know).

And you're hypocritically whining about alleged "whiners" from your high horse! You have no right to upbraid others for voicing legitimate feedback on this "sale" because we didnt appreciate having our time wasted for nil. You obviously have plenty of money and love paying full price for everything ( :roll: ), but other people are just broke, many are even unemployed, plus it's tax time, so $100+ for wargame like PzC (and it IS an inflated price for a game), is not justifiable, especially for those trying to make ends meet. Some people will just go find a torrent, I'd rather pay the developers.

And this is just business, Slitherine is a business, not an elementary school, and it didn't hand anything out for "free" here either. If it's going to advertise a sale ("up to 50% off") then it should just do so, without any silly limits and tricks -period! I know they would have closed more sales this way -better for them, better for us.

High horse, get real. You whine, and you only make yourself look like a spoiled brat too. Act your damned age.

I'm not only poor, I am REAL poor, I live the life of a disabled person. I measure every penny.

Just broke and unemployed? then stop crying and stop playing damned games and act responsible with your money while you are at it.

My family and the food bill comes before buying games. If I have money left, I can then buy a game. What? you think life is any easier for the people that work for Slitherine Group? You want them to just give away their money?

Hypocrit? do you even know what the word #@$&^ means buddy?

There's more self important self centered entitled attitude to your behaviour than I have ever seen from a teenager that's for sure, but society sure likes to rag on them, and for what, emulating the adults of this world.

You never deserved the damned sale to begin with.

I hope Slitherine learns real good from this, and stops offering the sales entirely.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Let's try and keep things pleasant guys. We recognise that some people felt their time got wasted, but as Iain says - it was supposed to be a bit of fun. We definitely don't want people getting worked up about it with one another :).

We always listen to all feedback, good or bad, but let's keep things in proportion.

Cheers

Pip
alex0809

Post by alex0809 »

I really don't think you should let this get spoilt by very few people. How can someone complain about something like this? I honestly don't know but it's just how the internet works.
...I am pretty sure 99 % that saw this just appreaciated this little event and if they found no valid code anymore just went on with their lifes and/or bought something for 10 % off :mrgreen:
Anfield

Post by Anfield »

I think it was a good idea and can see it for the fun you put into it. I think maybe whats put some people off, is that you didnt give enough warning that you were having a Easter Sale, and they didnt plan to shop around that sale. I dont know if you normally have a sale over a major holiday or not, maybe something to look into so that people can then expect it to happen and can wait to buy things during an up coming holiday sale??

Honestly, never look a discount in the mouth I say!!

:D
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

Thanks for the easter egg hunt, i appreciate the gesture. It was fun and i visited a lot of interesting pages which i never visited before, but unfortunately i was too late. Hopefully you'll consider to do it again next year :)
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

MesaDon wrote:I don't see why a problem. Cute idea.
Those who don't want or need a discount, and didn't waste hours trying to get one, don't have a problem and think it's "cute". I understand that.
ThvN wrote:I don't really understand the backlash either, the first post was pretty clear about how it worked I think, and there is still a basic discount for everybody? 10% may not seem much to some, but Slitherine is a company, not a charity. But I can understand being sour about finding an egg and then finding out the code will no longer work, that would be frustrating.

I think it is a fun idea, I got lucky because I checked the forum and saw the initial post and less than an hour had passed. And yes, I can personally confirm there was at least one Easter Egg with 50% discount,
Similarly, those who found a working a egg -and the top discount one at that- are also happy (understandably so! congrats!) and don't have a problem either, naturally.

But it's evident that there are some rather zealous Slitherine loyalists here who view them as if they are a charity or religious institution, a non-profit organization churning out wargames for the "benefit" of humankind, whose sales and promotions are doing us personal "favors" from the goodness of their hearts, that they aren't in it for profit at all, that we make "donations" to their cause not purchases, so how dare anyone voice unhappiness about any part of it! :lol: :roll: Yes, Slitherine is indeed a company -a business, and they gave nothing away for free here like a charity -it was a sale, a discount on products to increase business, but they limited the effect of that for some reason :? ...maybe they just didn't "need" to have a sale right now, it just happens to be Easter? The method for generating profit this time was fun ( I get that) and yet it pads their wallet at the same time -that's acknowledging the underlying reality that this is a business. And this is not just some random wargame forum like JP's Panzers; its hosted by Slitherine as abusiness tool so they can announce and advertise products while collecting feedback for future releases and correcting bugs.
But overall, the intention of the gesture was clear to me, a very limited time offer, 'while stocks last'.
Except that much of that is virtual, digital content, not limited physical stock.
I don't understand the complaints directed towards a company that tries to give you a discount?
There are no insults or anything else directed at Slitherine in the first few expressions of dissatisfaction made in this thread which started this discussion. Some people got frustrated that the eggs didnt work after spending time looking for them, period -nothing more than that simple truth was said. Hardly a "backlash" at all, really. The altercation between myself and another member is another matter altogether really, which makes it all look worse than it actually is.
johntindall wrote:I think it's fair enough to feel disappointed when offered a discount, put in some effort and then be told it's already gone. I'd probably feel the same.
Thanks.
On the other hand I thought it was a clever idea and indeed, a bit of fun. Perhaps it wasn't perfect the first time but I'm sure (like all ideas) it could be made better.

For those who are unhappy, what would you suggest?
You're a true businessman, and this is the kind of professional response I would have expected from Slitherine personnel, since they're the ones trying to sell their products here.

I would have preferred no limits on the eggs. If that was more than Slitherine was willing to offer, then find some way to let people entering the site know that all of the eggs were found and used up -some kind of "egg tracker greeting page". If I would have seen that to begin with, then I wouldn't have gotten frustrated from wasting time and effort.
DSWargamer wrote: High horse, get real. You whine, and you only make yourself look like a spoiled brat too. Act your damned age. I'm not only poor, I am REAL poor, I live the life of a disabled person. I measure every penny. Just broke and unemployed? then stop crying and stop playing damned games and act responsible with your money while you are at it. My family and the food bill comes before buying games. If I have money left, I can then buy a game. What? you think life is any easier for the people that work for Slitherine Group? You want them to just give away their money? Hypocrit? do you even know what the word #@$&^ means buddy? There's more self important self centered entitled attitude to your behaviour than I have ever seen from a teenager that's for sure, but society sure likes to rag on them, and for what, emulating the adults of this world.You never deserved the damned sale to begin with. I hope Slitherine learns real good from this, and stops offering the sales entirely.
Nastiness! My aren't you a hostile character! :lol:

What are you even doing here in this thread since it doesn't apply to you (one who proudly refuses discounts), except to pick a fight with people who are already annoyed? Would you go to your favorite store, hang around the customer service desk and verbally harrass the people waiting in line there, denigrating them as "immature" for bringing their complaints forward? I would hope not! And by your bizarre rules and definitions, anyone who voices any kind of dissatisfaction must be an adolescent "whiner". Yet you have voiced your displeasure about people voicing displeasure -that's the hypocrisy. Another blatant one is demeaning us as immature, yet you're going around swearing at people and name-calling those whom you don't know -strangers- nor do you know or understand our situations in life, and assume (rather arrogantly I might add) that everyone should think as you do, manage finances like you, etc. No thanks! This is not only immature, but uncivilized. The anonymity and distances involved amongst the Internet community has bred a class of extremely brazen "internet warriors" who would never dare say the things that they write here to another person's face in public, without risking a punch in the nose or worse for breaching basic etiquette! Don't parents and primary schools teach us that, and why is it tossed out on message boards?

Yes Slitherine will learn from this, but once again they are a business, whose basic aim is profit and I'm certain a few of them are rational and objective about that and the results of their promotions and sales, and there will be more sales in the future to drive up business. I think you're the one here who needs to grow up and be realistic! :roll:
Last edited by Tempest on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Let's try and keep things pleasant guys. We recognise that some people felt their time got wasted, but as Iain says - it was supposed to be a bit of fun. We definitely don't want people getting worked up about it with one another :).
Well, it was supposed to make your company some money, that's really the bottom line irregardless of how that was accomplished. I don't think the general idea for the promotion was bad at all, thus "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" by cancelling such promotions altogether is unnecessary, but certain details of that prevented some of us from enjoying rewards for effort, and maybe such can be rectified in the future if your company tries it again.
We always listen to all feedback, good or bad, but let's keep things in proportion.
That's all I was trying to do, feedback on it. I'm sorry that it was negative, but that was truthfully the result. I'm over it now, no big deal. And looking at my initial post, I don't see any hostility within it toward Slitherine itself or anyone else for that matter to warrrant being accosted with such vitriol from another member -that's a different issue entirely. Anyway, I've said my piece and I'm done with this, hopefully.

Pax!
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Either someone is very new to this branch of gaming that being wargaming, or they are blind, maybe even both.

I hear it all the time, teen this and teen that, as if the internet's troubles were all teen based.

Nope, the worst people I have encountered in the entire time I have been on the internet since 1990, have been males, adult age, generally 40+ and wargamers.

They cry the loudest I have ever heard when it comes to game prices. They cry and they cry and they cry.

A few years back I stopped wearing the label wargamer. It simply was no longer all that much use to me. I play wargames, I don't mind wargames, but wargamers, now there's a breed of humanity that never stops complaining.

And the moment you point out their incessant complaining, they suddenly get it in their heads the person pointing out the complaining is no better :)

Sorry to disappoint you, I have nothing in common with you.

99% of the wargaming community tends to disgust me. If not for Ian being so considerably past the mark of excellence, I'd have dropped off the radar entirely.
There's a few names I have retained as worth mention, but of the scores and scores of names I have met over the years, nope, couldn't care less.

I'm not your friend, keep that in mind.

I am here because Slitherine Group sells the best in wargaming, sells it better than anyone else in wargaming, is always worth the price. I couldn't care less if every other publisher in wargaming vapour locked and went out of business. Wouldn't miss them.

Return to “News & Announcements”