Moderator: Slitherine Core

Asarhadon
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Erik's Campaigns

Post by Asarhadon »

Erik wrote:
Asarhadon wrote:Hi Erik,

I have updated campaign and after the end of battle of Dijon I can not continue to Maginot Line. I can see only screen with map of pacific which doesnt allow me to continue. Any idea, please?

Many thanks
The campaign is fixed, thanks to uran21.

I have updated the campaign:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168 ... g39-41.zip
Hi, many thanks.

In fact, it still doesn´t work properly, it seems that the isue is somewhere else. My original save is from version Blitzkrieg39-40, because of mentioned bug I updated it to version B39-41, but no change. Then you fixed this last version, but my issue with it have continued. My solution - I have loaded back B39-40, changed data.cmp from B39-41, added new missions .... and it works now :lol:
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Asarhadon wrote:
Erik wrote:
Asarhadon wrote:Hi Erik,

I have updated campaign and after the end of battle of Dijon I can not continue to Maginot Line. I can see only screen with map of pacific which doesnt allow me to continue. Any idea, please?

Many thanks
The campaign is fixed, thanks to uran21.

I have updated the campaign:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168 ... g39-41.zip
Hi, many thanks.

In fact, it still doesn´t work properly, it seems that the isue is somewhere else. My original save is from version Blitzkrieg39-40, because of mentioned bug I updated it to version B39-41, but no change. Then you fixed this last version, but my issue with it have continued. My solution - I have loaded back B39-40, changed data.cmp from B39-41, added new missions .... and it works now :lol:
Yes, players may have issues if they started with an early version.
Both scenarios and the campaign file itself have been updated a few times. So it is a bit hit & miss if you can continue with an earlier save.
Glad you have it working now.
Erik2

Blitzkrieg split

Post by Erik2 »

The Blitzkrieg 1939-41 campaign has been split into Blitzkrieg 1939-40 and Sea Lion.

Blitzkrieg 1939-40:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168 ... 40_3.0.zip

Sea Lion:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168 ... on_1.0.zip
bru888

Re: Blitzkrieg split

Post by bru888 »

Erik wrote:The Blitzkrieg 1939-41 campaign has been split into Blitzkrieg 1939-40 and Sea Lion.

Blitzkrieg 1939-40:

Sea Lion:
Good idea. There was a strong chance of battle fatigue with 56 scenarios in one campaign! Like Joe DiMaggio's consecutive game hitting streak of an equal amount, this is a record which may never be broken. :wink:
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

By the way, I notice that when you restarted the scenario number after 26Maginot, you went to 0Channel instead of 1Channel. Was that by design, in consideration of future linkage of these campaigns in some manner, such as importing core units?
- Bru
Erik2

Re: Blitzkrieg split

Post by Erik2 »

bru888 wrote:
Erik wrote:The Blitzkrieg 1939-41 campaign has been split into Blitzkrieg 1939-40 and Sea Lion.

Blitzkrieg 1939-40:

Sea Lion:
Good idea. There was a strong chance of battle fatigue with 56 scenarios in one campaign! Like Joe DiMaggio's consecutive game hitting streak of an equal amount, this is a record which may never be broken. :wink:
Whenever some comes up with a really long campaign; been there, done that 8)
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

bru888 wrote:By the way, I notice that when you restarted the scenario number after 26Maginot, you went to 0Channel instead of 1Channel. Was that by design, in consideration of future linkage of these campaigns in some manner, such as importing core units?
Since the branch starts with scenario 0 I thought it would be prudent to name the scenarios accordingly. Just trying to keep my sanity when editing the campaign txt file. My life already has too many off-sets :roll:
Erik2

Blitzkrieg 39-40 updated to 3.1

Post by Erik2 »

Mostly a decorative update.
Added victory graphics from the specific battles to the scenarios.
Fixed Norway/Denmark scenario and victory briefings.
Placed markers on the strategic map correctly for each scenario.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168 ... 40_3.1.zip
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Thanks for continuing to update those version numbers. They help to keep track.
- Bru
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

My last attempt to convince you, Eric, to change your objective triggers with no enemy around 2-hexes from "Capture VP Event" to "Any Event":
Best example is Dunkerque '40: I eliminated every enemy on turn 16 and couldn't accomplish the Dunkerque objective, because I previously thought it was smart to first capture that supply-monster hex of 120 points before destroying the dozens of passive Brit units around it. Thanks to this "brilliant" strategy, I already had captured any other VP locations before Dunk and clearing the whole area there from enemies.
Most of your annoying objective trigger problems would vanish if you simply change them to "Any Event".

Oh well, at least you have already changed the obligatory Defeat to Draw if missing objectives to carry on. Too bad about the light cruiser gift in Dunkerque though, but these are useless anyway.
The maps are great otherwise and are sometimes more challenging than in PC, but the constant trigger issues are simply unnecessary.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

I agree with Horst about the 2 hex requirement. In many scenarios it was problematic.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I only recently learned that the important disctincton between the trigger 'type' like 'any event' vs VP :oops:
I need to revisit older scenarios and change it. It may take a bit of time...

I think I'll also remove the 2-hex conditions.
Erik2

Blitzkrieg 39-40 updated to 3.2

Post by Erik2 »

Removed all 2-hex-distance conditions in all scenarios.
Replaced airstrips with airfields in all scenarios. No more airstrip spawning. All AI air units start launched.
Fixed a number of objective Trigger event types.
Completely revised Norway scenario based of player experience with the multiplayer variant.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168 ... 40_3.1.zip
Horst

Post by Horst »

I was going to try the Sea Lion campaign but stopped because of too many mistakes in the 2nd mission Eagle Attack:
- scenario can’t be loaded because the folder name is different to the data.cmp entry
- Axis coast totally lacks land-based supply points. It already reads -35 when you start the scenario
- Bf 109K in the reserve list (10/1944)
- only Type IX submarines (4/1944; wrong availability date of vanilla which lists both the VII and IX with 3/6/1940)

I think I'm going to wait for the Kriegsmarine update before trying Sea Lion. Germany still lacks too many naval units.
I'm going to the East now with my old core from France.

If someone misses the other topic about importing cores from Blitzkrieg 39-40 - this is the correct line that should be added in the data.cmp file of the follow-up custom campaigns from Eric:
[CORES]
wehrmacht = germany
importable wehrmacht, Blitzkrieg39-40, wehrmacht

By the way, do you still gain the old commanders again from 39-40 in Blitzkrieg 41-42?
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I'll add the core import to my campaign data files.
Will check the Sea Lion scenarios, there are various issues I'd like to fix.
No commanders are added to the follow-up campaigns
Horst

Post by Horst »

Crete:
That Seafire Mk.XV (10/44) is a bit too mean. Enemy carriers aren’t important there anyway. After Kriegsmarine update, some Brit units should be exchanged then.
A couple of too-early Brit Battle destroyers again.
I must have missed placing these Italian ships at beginning from my reserve list. Better place them right from start before you forget them. These weren’t that critical anyway.
Combat was basically over on turn 11-12 while capturing Iraklion taking a bit longer afterwards, what didn’t give much reason left to play until turn 48. Map felt like Denmark with many turns but not enough action. I was glad to carry on asap with a train load of requisition points.
What I liked was that laying sea mines by strat-bombers was actually useful on the left. I’ve never had any use for that feature before. The plenty events with historic pictures were very welcome too. I miss such in most other scenarios.

Minsk: was a walk in the park. It was finally much easier to cut off supplies from the enemy than before. It looked and behaved strange with those passive, 100%-efficiency planes in the air that could damage my own surprising aircrafts. I would rather have seen these planes in hangars at beginning in passive mode for the few turns. This would feel more plausible to strafe the filled hangars until left-over damaged units manage to take off.

Smolensk: I like that improvised Wurfrahmen 40 (wrong spelling there: Wurhframen). We start missing more and more units that haven’t be added to the game yet.
Nice to see some point rewards again at least for primary objectives. Getting tired of reading <no special reward for this objective>.

About scenarios in general: the secondary objectives have rarely any importance since France somehow as you usually don’t get any reward like in Poland where you could earn commanders or bonus points en masse. Okay, it was a bit exaggerated in Poland but still entertaining. Now, finishing the primaries quickly has become rather more rewarding as you save more requisition points if you avoid as much combat as possible. At moment, secondaries are only useful as info how many enemy unit types are around. Draw, minor or major victory – all the same now. Boring.

Gaining at least some requisition points for secondaries would motivate more doing them.
It was also always fun and challenging to discover and hunt for the secret units on certain maps in PC. This is totally missing here. No one really bothers much about purchasing Beutepanzer spec units, but they are always neat to earn during a mission. Even if you don’t need them later, you can always sell them for a little cash afterwards. A cool prototype unit from the near future is always exciting too.

No one really needs a 1:1 copy of the PC campaigns. Changing something for the better is always welcome. What the scenarios often need are events, preferably with a picture, during the mission. This entertains well even if it is just a warning of an incoming attack here and there.
I’m curious if it is possible to also make the briefing officer portraits show up below as event notifications instead of the mandatory picture-boxes in the middle. Some communications from your superior could give scenarios a lot more flair. Such communications could also be a distress call from some allied units that require rescue.
The major advantage what OOB has over PC is that you can add AI controlled allied teams. It would we a waste not to use such great feature more often. Yes, it requires more work, but I love AI-controlled allies.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Horst wrote:Crete:
That Seafire Mk.XV (10/44) is a bit too mean. Enemy carriers aren’t important there anyway. After Kriegsmarine update, some Brit units should be exchanged then.
A couple of too-early Brit Battle destroyers again.
I must have missed placing these Italian ships at beginning from my reserve list. Better place them right from start before you forget them. These weren’t that critical anyway.
Combat was basically over on turn 11-12 while capturing Iraklion taking a bit longer afterwards, what didn’t give much reason left to play until turn 48. Map felt like Denmark with many turns but not enough action. I was glad to carry on asap with a train load of requisition points.
What I liked was that laying sea mines by strat-bombers was actually useful on the left. I’ve never had any use for that feature before. The plenty events with historic pictures were very welcome too. I miss such in most other scenarios.

Minsk: was a walk in the park. It was finally much easier to cut off supplies from the enemy than before. It looked and behaved strange with those passive, 100%-efficiency planes in the air that could damage my own surprising aircrafts. I would rather have seen these planes in hangars at beginning in passive mode for the few turns. This would feel more plausible to strafe the filled hangars until left-over damaged units manage to take off.

Smolensk: I like that improvised Wurfrahmen 40 (wrong spelling there: Wurhframen). We start missing more and more units that haven’t be added to the game yet.
Nice to see some point rewards again at least for primary objectives. Getting tired of reading <no special reward for this objective>.

About scenarios in general: the secondary objectives have rarely any importance since France somehow as you usually don’t get any reward like in Poland where you could earn commanders or bonus points en masse. Okay, it was a bit exaggerated in Poland but still entertaining. Now, finishing the primaries quickly has become rather more rewarding as you save more requisition points if you avoid as much combat as possible. At moment, secondaries are only useful as info how many enemy unit types are around. Draw, minor or major victory – all the same now. Boring.

Gaining at least some requisition points for secondaries would motivate more doing them.
It was also always fun and challenging to discover and hunt for the secret units on certain maps in PC. This is totally missing here. No one really bothers much about purchasing Beutepanzer spec units, but they are always neat to earn during a mission. Even if you don’t need them later, you can always sell them for a little cash afterwards. A cool prototype unit from the near future is always exciting too.

No one really needs a 1:1 copy of the PC campaigns. Changing something for the better is always welcome. What the scenarios often need are events, preferably with a picture, during the mission. This entertains well even if it is just a warning of an incoming attack here and there.
I’m curious if it is possible to also make the briefing officer portraits show up below as event notifications instead of the mandatory picture-boxes in the middle. Some communications from your superior could give scenarios a lot more flair. Such communications could also be a distress call from some allied units that require rescue.
The major advantage what OOB has over PC is that you can add AI controlled allied teams. It would we a waste not to use such great feature more often. Yes, it requires more work, but I love AI-controlled allies.
Crete: Any's request finally made Crete too easy :D I need to revisit this scenario sometime. The RAF substitutes will be fixed when Kriegsmarine arrives, there are a number of new units there.

Minsk: I have been unable to keep the Soviet air units in their hangars, neither Idle or Static AI order works. I don't mind this scenario being easy, it is the first one against the Soviets which were caught with their pants down.

Scenarios general: There is only so many variations in objectives you can create for land scenarios. Have you counted the number of scenarios...? War was usually more of the same anyway. The project is a conversion of the PzC campaigns, so I'd like to keep them as close as possible. Due to the different game mechanisms there are a number of differences anyway. There are about 20-30 AI controlled teams in these scenarios... :roll:
Horst

Post by Horst »

It's clear that the lack of European units is still a hindrance to convert at least 1:1 from PC to OOB. I'm afraid OOB still requires some years of development until most units of PC are covered. Maybe we can already toy around with mortar Karl and Gustav at end of year after the Kriegsmarine addon.
I had already tried to bring the railgun and other units from the Battle of Britain mod into the main game, but it seems more difficult than I thought.
If you improvise some unique super-heavy siege artillery like in Minsk then give 21 cm mortars at least 5-star experience.

About Crete again: the map itself is nicely done, but it's simply too large for the few action on few spots, same like Denmark. The southern part is basically useless for this scenario. I think the smaller island-version of PC would have worked fine enough. You've made yourself too much work there for the given action. No idea how it was in the beginning, but currently it was too easy with too many reinforcement units, aircrafts and glider units you couln't really all land at same time. You could easily win this scenario without any core units at all. I guess this is the reason why this scenario was left out in the vanilla Blitzkrieg campaign.
I've noticed that there was a game bug that you could land the Mountain troops in planes next to an airfield if it is currently occupied by planes. The mountain troops disembarked on water tiles. If you reload a savegame, the Mtn troops were even placed into transport ships then. Weird.

I'm going to check out if something can be done with those aircrafts in the hangars by triggers or AI behaviors. I wouldn't mind if these aircrafts start with few strength points that the AI is a bit faster in the air, like in 2-3 turns after it replaces unit strength in its first turn.

What I wrote about scenarios in general was my impression so far until Smolensk. Let's see how 41-42 goes on. I think not many here have played past Smolensk so far.
Horst

Post by Horst »

I think I’ve figured out how to make these planes stick to their hangars for a while:

1. each plane needs an AI Setup with Return to Base for their designated airfield. This will make them stay inside the hangar forever. If still in the air then they will land at first. Putting planes into hangars was too uncomfortable for me to test
2. a check-turn trigger is required for a specific turn with condition of Setup AI Team that selects its source as AI Setup Return to Base to an AI Setup of Seek & Destroy. You have to create different triggers then for each plane and their airfield.

This worked on my test map at least that my single plane first landed on turn 1 and took off on my desired turn 4 and strafed the selected unit classes. It’s only fussy work to do this for several airfields as you seem to have to declare home bases for each plane. So each base requires a different AI setup.
Maybe there is a better way to do this more easily for larger unit groups. At least the Return to Base behaviour works very well to keep planes grounded.
I guess a much easier way is to simply stuff all planes right from scenario start into hangars and let them take off normally. Or just give them reduced strength to delay their take-off with given resource point reserve for the AI so it can replace unit strength at first. However, I've already seen the AI taking off their planes with 1-2 strength, so that delay isn't guaranteed at all.
prattaa
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by prattaa »

Erik wrote:The project is a conversion of the PzC campaigns, so I'd like to keep them as close as possible. Due to the different game mechanisms there are a number of differences anyway. There are about 20-30 AI controlled teams in these scenarios... :roll:
Please stick with your original vision. The campaigns translate to OOB very well and are extremely playable and fun. For the most part only some minor tweaking is needed to number of turns. Thanks again for all of your hard work.

Return to “News & Announcements”