Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

AnalogGamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by AnalogGamer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Just came up with an idea that may have already been beaten to death. Thought I would throw it on the floor and see if the cat licks it up.

Multi-turn purchases/replacements for "big-ticket" auxiliary items.

Example 1 - Big battle, big map. I want an airbase where there is none. I place a pioneer/engineer unit on my preferred hex. Purchase airbase. Pioneer can take no action for set number of turns(say 3). Taa-daa. Your "engineers" have actually done their job and carved an airstrip. Or better yet, a specialized engineer unit BECOMES an airbase with an additional construction cost. They build it and take care of it and the planes that stop there.

Example 2 - Your Battleship is hurting. Into port with holes showing and smoke flowing. 1-2 points per turn replacements at high cost.

Example 3 - Engineers constructing railway stations anywhere along a rail line over 2-3 turns.

These would all be a trade-off of one's prestige pool for auxiliary units that will not be brought forward. But that could provide a positive cost-to-benefit ratio for a battle, that leads to a decisive, that leads to other good things down the road. An investment if you will.

What say ye?

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Posts: 2632
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:22 am
Location: Winterset, Iowa
Contact:

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by goose_2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:48 am

Rudankort wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:22 am
13obo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:38 pm
He means (I think) swapping friendly unit places that are next to each other or potentially even further away but with direct access to the other unit's hex. This is probably hard to code unless game was designed with that in mind so hence never being implemented in PzC 1?
Well it was not too hard to implement in Panzer Corps, although PzC showed one movement animation at a time, so showing two for such an exchange move would require some refactoring.

We have already implemented exchange of two adjacent units in Panzer Corps 2, although I think we did not do it for more remote units. Might be a good idea.

Yay! This is what I was talking about...switching out units aka exchanging places, would be a nice touch
MHochhaeuser wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:33 am
Unfortunately you will never reach this class !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c5hANrS6Gw
We will never reach the class of russian folk song "Apple" converted to PG2 campaign music? :) Or what is your point exactly?
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

crisse88
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by crisse88 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 pm

Is the target still 2018 or is there a chance for the release to get postponed until 1st or 2nd quarter of 2019?

When do we get a new dev diary?

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine
Posts: 1493
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:22 pm

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by AlbertoC » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:43 pm

We'll get a new dev diary this week, stay tuned!

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games
Posts: 2927
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by Rudankort » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:21 am

Dorky8 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:02 pm
1) Have historical scenarios more balanced in PBEM. I appreciate the attempt for historical accuracy but more balanced scenarios makes for better gaming. The "balanced" scenarios in general weren't the best. Maybe just take historical scenarios and make them balanced.
We will surely try to provide more historical content tailored specifically for MP. But balanced scenarios are needed as well. Could you please elaborate what you did not like about them?
Dorky8 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:02 pm
2) More attention to supply, totally un-supplied troops running around behind lines and creating havoc was lame at best.
Well in most cases those units are paratroopers, and their whole point in life is to wreak havoc behind the lines. If what ways would you suggest to limit them?
Dorky8 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:02 pm
3) Have some limits on paratrooper range. Paratroopers flying around forever was also lame.
Yes, their range will be more limited, although their transports could usually reach quite far in real life, so it was not a huge stretch.

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games
Posts: 2927
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by Rudankort » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 am

AnalogGamer wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:13 pm
Example 1 - Big battle, big map. I want an airbase where there is none. I place a pioneer/engineer unit on my preferred hex. Purchase airbase. Pioneer can take no action for set number of turns(say 3). Taa-daa. Your "engineers" have actually done their job and carved an airstrip. Or better yet, a specialized engineer unit BECOMES an airbase with an additional construction cost. They build it and take care of it and the planes that stop there.

Example 2 - Your Battleship is hurting. Into port with holes showing and smoke flowing. 1-2 points per turn replacements at high cost.

Example 3 - Engineers constructing railway stations anywhere along a rail line over 2-3 turns.
Yes, multiple-turn construction tasks are on our "wish list". As far as I remember, slow repair of ships was already a feature in PzC.
crisse88 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 pm
Is the target still 2018 or is there a chance for the release to get postponed until 1st or 2nd quarter of 2019?
We want to deliver the game to you guys as much as you want to get it, and the whole team is working hard to make it happen. But we will not rush unfinished game out, so I cannot exclude the possibility of a schedule slip. :oops: It's a huge and incredibly complex project.

13obo
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
Posts: 823
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:01 am

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by 13obo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:49 am

Don't rush! Please! I'd rather cry myself to sleep a few more months than seeing a rushed game I've been waiting so long that gets bad reviews that people don't buy, and hence stops receiving regular updates post-launch.

crisse88
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by crisse88 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Yes, please dont rush the product. PC2 is literally the only gaming product I'm personally looking forward to.

Are there any plans to have a european scale map with factories and natural resources?

Dorky8
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by Dorky8 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Rudankort wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:21 am
Dorky8 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:02 pm
1) Have historical scenarios more balanced in PBEM. I appreciate the attempt for historical accuracy but more balanced scenarios makes for better gaming. The "balanced" scenarios in general weren't the best. Maybe just take historical scenarios and make them balanced.
We will surely try to provide more historical content tailored specifically for MP. But balanced scenarios are needed as well. Could you please elaborate what you did not like about them?
Dorky8 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:02 pm
2) More attention to supply, totally un-supplied troops running around behind lines and creating havoc was lame at best.
Well in most cases those units are paratroopers, and their whole point in life is to wreak havoc behind the lines. If what ways would you suggest to limit them?
Dorky8 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:02 pm
3) Have some limits on paratrooper range. Paratroopers flying around forever was also lame.
Yes, their range will be more limited, although their transports could usually reach quite far in real life, so it was not a huge stretch.


Thank you for the response.

1) I found the balanced scenarios in Panzer Corp to be decent and the Soviet Corp ones were quite poor (square map with troops on each side). Soviet Corp historic scenarios were great but not balanced in PBEM. My point is many of the historic maps were great but from a PBEM perspective most were very slanted, my thought is to take the historic scenarios and adjust them for parity and call them balanced.

2) I thought of another idea when thinking about the Steamroller scenario. I hope there are limits on how many of any one unit type can be bought. I played many Steamrollers where the Axis had scores of Elephants, not very realistic. Did the same thing myself actually.

3) If a unit is behind enemy lines (any type) and out of supply it should get attrition, be gone in 3-4 turns. In PC is was possible to hide (retreat) behind enemy lines for many turns and then start taking cities.

4) Range limitations on paratroopers will be a welcome addition.


thanks again

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer
Posts: 5389
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 am

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by Kerensky » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Dorky8 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:07 pm
1) I found the balanced scenarios in Panzer Corp to be decent and the Soviet Corp ones were quite poor (square map with troops on each side). Soviet Corp historic scenarios were great but not balanced in PBEM. My point is many of the historic maps were great but from a PBEM perspective most were very slanted, my thought is to take the historic scenarios and adjust them for parity and call them balanced.

thanks again
Interesting.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Gwaylare
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:17 am

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by Gwaylare » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 am

Dorky8 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:07 pm
1) I found the balanced scenarios in Panzer Corp to be decent and the Soviet Corp ones were quite poor (square map with troops on each side). Soviet Corp historic scenarios were great but not balanced in PBEM. My point is many of the historic maps were great but from a PBEM perspective most were very slanted, my thought is to take the historic scenarios and adjust them for parity and call them balanced.
So if you balance a historic scenario, it is not a historic scenario anymore. It is just a balanced scenario on a historic map. On the other hand a paired PBEM game of a map is balanced by default. Balanced maps do favor more tactical abilities, while historic maps (as paired PBEM game) do favor more the strategical abilties, because it is not question which side wins but how fast they do.

I am a great fan of balanced scenarios by the way and I am looking forward to autogenerated maps with a balanced setup. This will be a lot of fun, I think.

Best regards
Gwaylare

Dorky8
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by Dorky8 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Gwaylare wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:10 am
Dorky8 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:07 pm
1) I found the balanced scenarios in Panzer Corp to be decent and the Soviet Corp ones were quite poor (square map with troops on each side). Soviet Corp historic scenarios were great but not balanced in PBEM. My point is many of the historic maps were great but from a PBEM perspective most were very slanted, my thought is to take the historic scenarios and adjust them for parity and call them balanced.
So if you balance a historic scenario, it is not a historic scenario anymore. It is just a balanced scenario on a historic map. On the other hand a paired PBEM game of a map is balanced by default. Balanced maps do favor more tactical abilities, while historic maps (as paired PBEM game) do favor more the strategical abilties, because it is not question which side wins but how fast they do.

I am a great fan of balanced scenarios by the way and I am looking forward to autogenerated maps with a balanced setup. This will be a lot of fun, I think.

Best regards
Gwaylare


Honestly I'm very confused by your comments. My original point was to have historic scenarios & historic scenarios that are balanced. Paired PBEM games are balanced by default? Most of the historic scenarios were very slanted towards one side. You feel "Bagration" is balanced?. Balanced & historic scenarios both have tactical & strategic components. Why is balanced more tactical & historic more strategic, because you get select more units in balanced?

I do agree it will be fun

:?:

CroCop96
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by CroCop96 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:12 pm

I'd like to suggest a small addition to units which I already mentioned in a thread about Panzer Corps 2 long ago - crewmen!

Crewmen figures in open-topped vehicles like Marders; and near anti-tank guns, field artillery, and AA guns. They wouldn't even have to be animated.

Such a little thing, but it would be splendid.

klimbo12
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:06 am

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by klimbo12 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:34 am

, will there be an option to add some sort of base to the units if the player wants that? What I mean, is in the screenie, it took me some time to spot the AT gun in the forest, so for us with less than stellar eyesight, I would love to be able to add say a red/white (or something) circular base under the units to make them easier to spot.




__________________________________________________________

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games
Posts: 2927
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #2

Post by Rudankort » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:22 am

klimbo12 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:34 am
, will there be an option to add some sort of base to the units if the player wants that? What I mean, is in the screenie, it took me some time to spot the AT gun in the forest, so for us with less than stellar eyesight, I would love to be able to add say a red/white (or something) circular base under the units to make them easier to spot.
We can consider this, but every unit has a strength plate below it, and these are quite big and prominent (maybe too big right now). Do you think this is not enough?

Post Reply

Return to “News & Announcements”