PBEM replays inconsistent

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Catacol
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

PBEM replays inconsistent

Post by Catacol »

Since the patch that broke replays, and then the fix that got them going again, I still have problems. I have a scenario at the moment I'm playing with an opponent and the first time we played it replays were not working. I thought that was odd, so essentially renamed the scenario with no changes and we played a second time. Replays worked fine. Then I made some tweaks to balance it by changing force line ups....and we played again and replays were broken once again.

I'm trying to work out if there is a feature of a scenario that breaks replays. Playing a big pbem setup without replays is a definite handicap to both players. Anyone else have any experience of this, or able to point me towards that cause?

Thanks.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: PBEM replays inconsistent

Post by Patrick Ward »

Catacol wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 pm Since the patch that broke replays, and then the fix that got them going again, I still have problems. I have a scenario at the moment I'm playing with an opponent and the first time we played it replays were not working. I thought that was odd, so essentially renamed the scenario with no changes and we played a second time. Replays worked fine. Then I made some tweaks to balance it by changing force line ups....and we played again and replays were broken once again.

I'm trying to work out if there is a feature of a scenario that breaks replays. Playing a big pbem setup without replays is a definite handicap to both players. Anyone else have any experience of this, or able to point me towards that cause?

Thanks.
Can't say I know anything about the MP side of things but I do know that 9/10 times I have a problem, it can usually be solved be either new binaries, or deleting the cache. So its not going to be the former but with the fear of repeating myself or stating the obvious .. if you've made a change to the scenario and then tried to replay it, theres a chance a previous cache, of the previous version of the scenario, is clashing and interupting the replay. It shouldn't. It should be over written .. but we've seen stranger things happen and I now delete it after every change I make.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Catacol

Post by Catacol »

Patrick Ward wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:10 pm
Catacol wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 pm Since the patch that broke replays, and then the fix that got them going again, I still have problems. I have a scenario at the moment I'm playing with an opponent and the first time we played it replays were not working. I thought that was odd, so essentially renamed the scenario with no changes and we played a second time. Replays worked fine. Then I made some tweaks to balance it by changing force line ups....and we played again and replays were broken once again.

Thanks.
Can't say I know anything about the MP side of things but I do know that 9/10 times I have a problem, it can usually be solved be either new binaries, or deleting the cache. So its not going to be the former but with the fear of repeating myself or stating the obvious .. if you've made a change to the scenario and then tried to replay it, theres a chance a previous cache, of the previous version of the scenario, is clashing and interupting the replay. It shouldn't. It should be over written .. but we've seen stranger things happen and I now delete it after every change I make.

Pat
Hi Pat - I'm still having problems. Games just won't pbem replay. How do I delete/reset the cache?

If any developers bump into this particular thread - is it possible that game size can get too big for pbem? I really only play large multiplayer games. As an example the current map my opponent and I are playing is around 100 x 70 in size, and force sizes are up over 400 per player. When the game is this big might the software be struggling to produce a pbem replay? I'm no programmer and I'm only really fishing here....but it is a significant issue for us because turns are taking about 30mins to take on these big, roaming maps and without pbem replay our progress is stunted by playing only live TCP. I really like TCP play - I would never remove it and it is great fun.....but there is also a big role for pbem turns inbetween TCP live sessions and I miss being able to do them! The game played fine until a patch many months ago now and I'm sure the battle sizes I was playing prior to that point were also just as big, but maybe something in the patch tweaked something? The patch came mid tournament, and even on the small tournament game replays for my german game were lost. Curiously....exactly the same for my regular opponent who was also taking part in that tournament. His german replays also stopped happening......

Any help from anyone with replay knowledge would be very much appreciated.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Catacol wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:15 pm
Hi Pat - I'm still having problems. Games just won't pbem replay. How do I delete/reset the cache?
You'll find your cache here ..

C:\Users\[yourName]\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps 2\cache

You can just delete everything in that folder.

I've passed the PBEM question on. I doubt you'll hear anything from the devs for a while due to the pandemic. Its obviously affected the release of the 1942 patch and tournament as well.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Catacol

Post by Catacol »

99% certain now after playtesting that pbem replays fail if the file size gets too big - in other words too many actions. Fight a 400slot v 400slot battle on a 70x70 map and move and fire with everything and the replay doesn't come through. Fight the same battle moving only a handful of units and the replay works fine.

File size cap introduced? Or buffer/cache size limits? I'd love this to be fixed. Small battles bore me, but large battles without replays are a bit of a killer.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2: Tech Support”