Disk space question

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Disk space question

Post by PoorOldSpike »

My hard drive is nearly full (red line below) and when I open 'Programs and Features' with Control Panel to see how much disk space each program is taking up so that I can consider uninstalling some, the 'Size' column doesn't show game sizes!
So how can i find out what games are taking up what space?

Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Disk space question

Post by Retributarr »

Do it... to find ' with "Task-Manager":
Once the 'Game' is loaded up and running... go bring up your 'Task Manager'. Once the 'Task Manager' pop-up screen is up on your desktop... you will then be able to see how much of your 'CPU'-in [%] is being used as well as how much 'Memory'-in [MB] is being used.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I use Treesize which will show the folders that are using the space, which is a good starting point.

As always, this is a 3rd party software, no connection should be implied, etc etc :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Thanks guys, one more question-
Suppose I don't want to uninstall anything from my nearly-full hard drive, what shall I do if I want to install a new game on the PC?
Will I have to cart it down the shop for them to install an extra HD inside it, or could I simply buy an external hard drive to install new games on and plug it into a USB port?
Will games and sims run okay from an external, or will they run slower and jerky?
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

PoorOldSpike wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:15 pm Thanks guys, one more question-
Suppose I don't want to uninstall anything from my nearly-full hard drive, what shall I do if I want to install a new game on the PC?
Will I have to cart it down the shop for them to install an extra HD inside it, or could I simply buy an external hard drive to install new games on and plug it into a USB port?
Will games and sims run okay from an external, or will they run slower and jerky?
That's what I did!!!. :D The external 'Hard-Drive' has 'No-Effect' on game-play quality!!! :D
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Retributarr wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:32 am That's what I did!!!. :D The external 'Hard-Drive' has 'No-Effect' on game-play quality!!! :D

Thanks, well I might as well get an external..:)
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

You cannot compare the speed of a USB device (unless it's an SSD) with any internal SATA mechanical HD. The USB device is much slower.
If you compare with an internal SSD drive than the difference will be even bigger.

Besides USB drives can assume different letters drives (it will depend on some circumstances) and that will be enough for the game, or any software, not to run.

USB drives should only be used for archiving.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2: Tech Support”