iPAD Version

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

dbaird521
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

iPAD Version

Post by dbaird521 »

I have played Panzer Corps on my iPAD for years...and bought every scenario I can find. My iPAD goes with me everywhere and it is a lot easier to wind down at the end of the day on the iPAD then drag out the PC. Is there any plans on making a version of Panzer Corps 2 for the iPAD? If not, why not, and maybe you guys could reconsider!!
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: iPAD Version

Post by Horseman »

Would Ipads even have the juice to run this?

Either way i wouldn't get your hopes up. Slitherine are not fans of Apple....
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

Horseman wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:58 pm Would Ipads even have the juice to run this?
Absolutely they would... if it ran natively on them (i.e. used Apple's Metal graphics API). iPad CPUs are excellent and outperform most PCs. However, that could all go out the window if Slitherine has to rely on Unreal and Unreal didn't do a good job porting their engine to run on ARM, for example. Speaking hypothetically, I don't actually know what the state of Unreal on iOS is. I do know it doesn't perform especially well even on PCs.
Horseman wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:58 pmEither way i wouldn't get your hopes up. Slitherine are not fans of Apple....
That's an understatement. Apple has a very clear vision where they want to go, which btw is also where customers want to go, and they expected developers to come along. Dropping 32 bit apps last year made perfect sense knowing that Macs will soon be powered by 64-bit ARM chips. Slitherine, on the other hand, wants to be able to write once run anywhere (without really taking advantage of the strengths of any particular platform) and expects backward compatibility even for software that is 20 years out of date (e.g. 32 bit code).
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

proline wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:50 am
Horseman wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:58 pm Would Ipads even have the juice to run this?
Absolutely they would... if it ran natively on them (i.e. used Apple's Metal graphics API). iPad CPUs are excellent and outperform most PCs. However, that could all go out the window if Slitherine has to rely on Unreal and Unreal didn't do a good job porting their engine to run on ARM, for example. Speaking hypothetically, I don't actually know what the state of Unreal on iOS is. I do know it doesn't perform especially well even on PCs.
Horseman wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:58 pmEither way i wouldn't get your hopes up. Slitherine are not fans of Apple....
That's an understatement. Apple has a very clear vision where they want to go, which btw is also where customers want to go, and they expected developers to come along. Dropping 32 bit apps last year made perfect sense knowing that Macs will soon be powered by 64-bit ARM chips. Slitherine, on the other hand, wants to be able to write once run anywhere (without really taking advantage of the strengths of any particular platform) and expects backward compatibility even for software that is 20 years out of date (e.g. 32 bit code).
But there's no reason backwards compatibility is not a thing.

32bit games can still be played on modern PC's......

I'm a customer and I'd want my new product to still be able to play older apps. To suddenly cease compatibility is ridiculous and designed purely to force customers to buy the new shiny apps. A typical money making scheme from Apple.

Apples "clear vision" is to make money......
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

This has been debated over and over, specially with Proline.
Thread closed.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2: Tech Support”