I own the boxed Master of Magic, I want Caster of Magic

Master of Magic is a classic, one of the most popular strategy games of the 90s. It is a 4X fantasy strategy game that allows you to play as an extremely powerful wizard, leading your troops and overcoming your magical opponents.
longheart
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

I own the boxed Master of Magic, I want Caster of Magic

Post by longheart »

Ages ago, I bought Master of Magic, I think from Compucenter.
I recently heard a Caster of Magic dlc is now available, but gog.com, steam, and every store I've looked at won't let me buy the dlc unless I also buy Master of Magic from them again.
The problem is, I already own the original Microprose version of Master of Magic. I have the box, manual, and game disks in the basement.
Is there a way I can buy the Caster of Magic dlc and use it with my original game disks?
longheart
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: I own the boxed Master of Magic, I want Caster of Magic

Post by longheart »

I bought the CD version of Master of Magic, so I can still install it, if I can buy the Caster of Magic dlc.
https://imgur.com/a/mXGgbDL
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Almost certainly not - the install and other data files are likely to be quite different from modern installs of the game.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Blake00
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Blake00 »

I own a lovely boxed copy too but it was pretty clear that everyone would have to re-buy the game to get all the new content so I did! As have so many others. Sucks, but thats the way it is mate.

Plus if it's the new Caster of Magic for Windows (CoM2) you're eyeing off then that does NOT use original game files anyway.
Blake's Sanctum - Master of Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!
longheart
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by longheart »

Thank you, based on what you say, my Master of Magic game is simply not compatible with the Master of Magic patches that have come out afterwards.
It seems a new Master of Magic game has come out, and must be purchased again to get the same looking game, and same behaviour, but allowing it to be compatible with patches.
Seeing as I paid about $80 for Master of Magic way back then, I just don't want to have to pay again for the same game.
I would have been happy to pay for the dlc, but not the same base game again.
Thank you for your responses. I'll go play Age of Wonders III which I also bought - It runs in Windows too.
Blake00
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Blake00 »

Yeah you'll be in bed with AoW3 but you'll be thinking about MoM. :lol:
Blake's Sanctum - Master of Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!
Hargir
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Hargir »

longheart wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:23 pm Thank you, based on what you say, my Master of Magic game is simply not compatible with the Master of Magic patches that have come out afterwards.
It seems a new Master of Magic game has come out, and must be purchased again to get the same looking game, and same behaviour, but allowing it to be compatible with patches.
Seeing as I paid about $80 for Master of Magic way back then, I just don't want to have to pay again for the same game.
I would have been happy to pay for the dlc, but not the same base game again.
Thank you for your responses. I'll go play Age of Wonders III which I also bought - It runs in Windows too.
Dude it's like 6 dollars :lol:

Return to “Master of Magic Classic”