AO Wunderwaffe Run - powerful, yet flawed

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

AO Wunderwaffe Run - powerful, yet flawed

Post by Tassadar »

Time for some new run action this time with Wunderwaffe - bizzare, often impractical or never finished projects. This will mean less units, but powerful ones (at least in theory!) tons of prototypes and hopefully yet again fun gameplay.

Difficulty - General

Traits - Auxiliary Force, Industry Connections, Force Concentration, Panzer General, Poor Maintenance, Ruthless

Auxiliary Force - for those cases where I need extra bridge engineers or other infantry, more fighters, artillery and so on. I won't be using this on a regular basis (it's not intended to be similar to Auxiliary Adventures), but as I will likely be very starved for core slots, I might need to resort to this in several scenarios to just somehow put enough units on the field to form a proper front and compensate for negative traits.

Industry Connections - the aim is to not only use pure Wunderwaffe, but prototypes as well, adding to the flavor and unit power.

Poor Maintenance - Wunderwaffe were known for mostly being impractical and plagued with issues. They were powerful in many cases, sure, but also not reliable and rushed. Considering that I plan to base my core on both these and prototypes, it's only fitting I choose this trait. The effect on the rest of my force is justified easily by the fact I cannot spare the mechanics, who are busy fixing other units.

Ruthless - I want to use my own units. There will be some cases where I can use CP awards, but overall not captured ones that can be taken form usual battlefield encirclement and capture. Not only would it make things too similar to my previous runs in some cases, but I also want a tighter prestige situation this time as I do not want to adjust difficulty over General and be able to try out some units not used before. Lore wise it makes sense that my Wunderwaffe and prototypes are meant to be checked in combat conditions and I do not have means to take care of spoils of war.

Force Concentration - with less units overall and special rules about assigning unique heroes, I could use those extra hero slots to find space for all of them.

Panzer General - I'll have to deploy more overstrengthened units, so extra slots will help me deal with the issues caused by this and tanks should be the most common ones. I was thinking about Killer Team, but with less units overall as time goes by, I might not have the slots to assign all of the heroes if I get extra ones. I also want the units to earn their hero normally and not define the units usage form the start. If it becomes more powerful with the course of the game - great, but a horde like this from the start would not feel good for me.

Extra rules:

1. Units that qualify as Wunderwaffe are:

- German units or non-German that were only prototypes or concepts (both gift ones or normally available in game) - for example Verdeja 2
- German units produced experimentally and used in limited scale on the battlefield, or scrapped serial products - for example Neubaufahrzeug or Panzer I Breda
- German units with produced unit count under around 50 (same sheet will be used I had for the Retrograde run) - for example the Sturmpanzer I
- German units produced normally, but then not used by Germany itself aside from some test runs and otherwise sold to other countries - for example He 112
- Gift units with unlimited supply awarded ahead of their production schedule - for example Pazner IIA
- Special gift infantry - for example Azul Infanterie
- Gift units and CP awards of non-German origin, but only if they are rare/prototype sort or appear way before their actual production - for example Char 2C or Il-2, but not Somua S35
- Machines classified as Wunderwaffe in common understanding of the term - for example Tiger and Königstiger, or all jet planes
2. Wunderwaffe can only be upgraded to other Wunderwaffe, so no upgrading the Sturmpanzer I or He 112 until something better of the same sort comes up. Exception - gift units with unlimited supply awarded ahead of their production schedule like the Panzer IIA, but these like in the Panzermon run can only be upgraded outside this rule under the same production line/chassis.
3. Starting the SCW campaign with default core.
4. Unit upgrade purchase checklist is as follows:
- If free core slots are available, Wunderwaffe is overstrengthened to fill in the gaps, if all Wunderwaffe are overstrengthened and core slots remain, next step can be considered.
- Non-Wunderwaffe core units can be upgraded to available prototypes. If no new prototypes remain, next step can be considered.
- New units can be bought after steps 1 and 2 are exhausted. In scenarios where some specific units are required or have a lesser impact this will impact steps 1 and 2 accordingly. This can also be used if both Wunderwaffe and prototypes do not add up to the exact core slot limit and leave 1-2 points left.
5. Non-Wunderwaffe units cannot be overstrengthened.
6. Only one Wunderwaffe or prototype unit of each type can be part of the core.
7. If a prototype becomes available normally and the unit still uses the parts, in will remain using it, but will be upgraded at the first available instance to a new prototype.
8. Aside from special units such as bridge engineers or paratroopers, Auxillary Force can only be used to purchase the most "common" unit of each type. Very Slow Retrograde run spreadsheet to be used as reference. For example in 1939 if I want auxiliary artillery, I can only use the 10.5 cm leFH 18 and if I need an anti-tank in 1940, I can only use the 3.7 cm Pak 36.
9. Unique heroes can only be assigned to Wunderwaffe units.
10. Not a rule, but a general trend - top tier heroes will remain in Wunderwaffe units (Galland and Bar will be overjoyed to still fly the He112 over England...), the remaining ones will be assigned to regular core.
11. One prototypes use up available parts they need to wait for more of them assigned randomly, or for the equipment to loose prototype status. Other units will be deployed in the meantime.
12. Auxiliary force will be composed of non-German forces only whenever at all available (Italian, Romanian, Hungarian, Finnish etc.).
13. In training scenarios I will deploy other units to help them gather experience as expected, since my Wunderwaffe will otherwise be deployed in every other mission anyway.

AO Spanish Civil War - Seville

Wunderwaffe classification for SCW:

Tank:

Verdeja 2
Pazner IIA

Anti-Tank:

Panzer I Breda

Fighter:

He 112

That's not a lot to start with, but I'm curious how things will look like later. These will have to do for now alongside any nice prototypes I might get my hands on.

Starting Prestige: 1400

Starting Army Composition:

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 221

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 2 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 1 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51
II./JG 1 - He 51
III./JG 1 - He 51

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a
II./SG 1 - Hs123a
III./SG 1 - Hs123a
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo

Using default army for this one. Cammo pattern will be - blue for regular core, red for prototypes (excluding non-German ones), no color for auxiliaries and special cammo for Wunderwaffe and special captured prototypes. Also, it's turn one and already 3 of my units lost their attack actions. This will be interesing.

Not being able to force surrenders does not mean that encircling the enemy is not beneficial. However, without Deadly Grasp they take much more time to produce significant results.

Summary

Final Prestige: 1969 (up 569)

Overall

This was quite difficult, for sure more than I anticipated. Firstly, Poor Maintenance does not affect movement in the way I expected - units do not loose all movement, but just some, which can lead to planes not reaching targets that are in theory in range. Small things like this need to be taken into account. Also, I tend to loose attack actions in the worse possible moments on units that really need them. Will have to adjust to this. Final prestige gain is poor with no captures possible, prestige available is limited even on General, but I hope to still be able to afford auxiliary units as expected.

AO Spanish Civil War - Antequera

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 2677

Hero:

Such an early Legendary hero can help offset my Ruthless trait and allow for prestige needed to field auxiliary forces. Normally I would not be thrilled by such a hero, but in these circumstances this might be one of the better ones I could have gotten.

Prototypes Awarded:

M11/39 - 20

A large stock of Italian tanks, great for this early stage of the war. I'll deploy them in this mission for sure!

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221
AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 221

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51
II./JG 1 - He 51
III./JG 1 - He 51

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a
II./SG 1 - Hs123a
III./SG 1 - Hs123a
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo - Legendary

Strategic Bomber Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 bomber - to join during the mission
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 bomber - to join during the mission
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 bomber - to join during the mission

Auxiliary Force:

1º Reggimento carri - M11/39

Friendly prototype in action as part of 1º Reggimento carri...

...and it ends up being very useful indeed, taking multiple hits for the team and being able to resist incoming fire much better than my own tanks!

Summary:

Final Prestige: 3866 (up 1189)

Overall:

Out of all the prestige gained, almost half of it was due to the Legendary hero. That's a good sign for the future, as I will probably end up buying more than just one tank. Mission itself was not too bad. Knowing that attempting to capture units does not work allowed me to play much more slowly and defensively, so I just want for a steady, safe attack with proper support on all sides and not making risky moves. While I limited losses this way, my overall gains are not as large as they were in the past and so far not super units in sight.

AO Spanish Civil War - Merida

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 3814

Hero:

My favorite recon car type hero is assigned to AufkAbt 1 immediately. Not game breaking, but still very useful if a recon pushes too far ahead.

Prototypes Awarded:

75/32 M37 - 20

75mm guns are not amazing if they cannot also use AT mode, but this one can. It can be interesting to offer my ground forces extra support against Republican tanks, so deadly this early in the war.

New Units Commissioned:

AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 221

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221 - * - Tenacious Defender
AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 221 - *
AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 221

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51
II./JG 1 - He 51
III./JG 1 - He 51

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a
II./SG 1 - Hs123a
III./SG 1 - Hs123a
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo - Legendary

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Auxiliary Force:

1º Reggimento fanteria - CTV Infantry (Truck)
2º Reggimento carri - L3/35
1º Reggimento artiglieria terrestre - 75/32 M37 (Horse Transport)
1 Gruppo 1 Sq - CR.32

Another turn, anther bunch of units partially broken down. I'm starting to get used to it...

After a long hunt Vega gets trapped between two 3.7 cm PaK 36 guns and taken down.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 5597 (up 1783)

Overall:

Slowly but steadily, my prestige situation is improving even despite purchases and lack of captures. That said, looking at how Legendary was fixed now, the hero generated 1000 prestige in the mission, only 783 of my gains were from objective captures. I wonder how this will develop with units getting more expensive to replace and with some maps offering prestige bleeding with little target gains. So far I'm a cautious optimist. Mission this time went really great, best so far form all my attempts. Extra Italian forces made the day and allowed for maneuvers not possible earlier. I will for sure ask Italians to help in Toledo, as it is going to be a tough mission with the secondary objectives there and a tight turn limit. Poor Vega - got KO'd already as I have no use for his later OT-133. Poor Maintenance is really flavorful for this run as I expected, but the fact it also affects auxiliary forces can have huge consequences sometimes. In enemy encirclement it can be deadly to my own units, especially that the AI seem to got better at single unit encirclement whenever it feels it can pull it off safely.
Last edited by Tassadar on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stormchaser
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: AO Wunderwaffe Run - powerful, yet flawed

Post by Stormchaser »

Well, time to go get some popcorn it looks like. :D

It's a bit of a shame how you can get Prototypes of Italian units in SCW. I mean, it's a neat addition normally, but it makes getting a proper Wunderwaffe Core difficult.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Using up a week off work to add a bit more SCW content on my list and try to make this run up to date before AO 1941. :)

AO Spanish Civil War - Toledo

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 6195

Hero:

New hero joins III./SG 1 - a useful one to get, but not as impactful to put him on any units that can potentially upgrade to Wunderwaffe soon.

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IB - 20

First non-Italian prototype gets assigned to PzAbt 1. With how terrible Panzer I is, any upgrade is more than welcome. The extra attack and initiative is a welcome addition.

New Units Commissioned:

Artillerie Abt 4 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB (prototype)
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA

Recon

AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 221

Artillery

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51
II./JG 1 - He 51
III./JG 1 - He 51

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a
II./SG 1 - Hs123a
III./SG 1 - Hs123a - Entrenchment Killer 4x
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo - * - Legendary

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Reserve

Auxiliary Force:

1 Gruppo 1 Sq - CR.32
1 Gruppo 2 Sq - CR.32

I decide to just go with two fighter squadrons and a single infantry unit. My ground units should be enough to pull this off, but the republican allies will need a lot of air support and some manually controllable infantry unit to guide their movement.

Following Edmon's video SCW campaign I aim to support my allies down south with a lot of planes, hoping that the AI will do better for me and not run into terrible positions.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 6983 (up 788)

Overall:

Things go well, but the turn limit is really tight as usual. Nothing much to say, aside form the fact that a single recon can capture tons of "free" hexes way east, thus improving my prestige situation with little to loose. For now I am still using usual units, but my first core prototype performed well and has parts to spare for the next mission as well, making things just a little bit easier. A small step towards the final aim of using only units that fall within the run rules.

AO Spanish Civil War - Early Madrid

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 6432

Hero:

Assigned to Artillerie Abt 2 for full support - vs. tank, infantry and artillery. Probably won't be assigned to a Wunderwaffe unit as artillery has limited availability in that regard and also units that do qualify later have very limited range, so it makes not sense to use this trait there.

Prototypes Awarded:

M11/39 - 20

Nice, I could use some good task for this mission to help push through large Republican forces.

New Units Commissioned:

FlaK Abt 2 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)

New Equipement Provided:

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda

First Wunderwaffe acquired! Gets an unique name, unique cammo and 15 overstrength immediately. What is great, that only costs 4 core slots! I'm however not able to upgrade these machines further for a very, very long time.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB (prototype) - * - Exterminator
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA - *
PzAbt 4 - Verdeja 2 - to join during the mission

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda (WW, OS15)

Recon

AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 221 - *

Antil-Aircraft

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - Counter Battery Fire
Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51
II./JG 1 - He 51
III./JG 1 - He 51

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a - *
II./SG 1 - Hs123a
III./SG 1 - Hs123a - Entrenchment Killer 4x

Reserve

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Auxiliary Force:

2º Reggimento fanteria - CTV Infantry (Truck)
3º Reggimento fanteria - CTV Infantry (Truck)
4º Reggimento fanteria - CTV Infantry (Truck)
2º Reggimento carri - L3/35
1 Gruppo 1 Sq - CR.32
1 Gruppo 2 Sq - CR.32

Since the mission can be difficult at times I invest heavily in auxiliary forces this time. This is an investment that will benefit me in the long term by a lot.

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ ready for battle!

My forces push through between the hill positions - too bad not all are able to attack as expected. This does not prevent the Nationalist allies from taking the hills themselves nor dealing with any other units, but it does slow the process down.

In the end, my forces are able to set up a roadblock by the river and prevent reinforcements from crossing it in force. Once this is set up I can focus on smaller crossings up north as well.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 7094 (662)

Overall:

Mission ends on a positive note with prestige gains, bonus objectives secured and first two special units acquired. This will for sure be helpful moving forward, but I now have 8 total core slots "locked" in all missions aside from training ones - four by Panzer I Breda and six by Verdeja 2. It just shows that as the campaign progresses increasing amount of these units will need to be especially efficient to perform their role well and justify the supply strain - especially if they are not able to be upgraded. This means I will need to rely on tank overruns a lot and on finishing every wounded unit in sight since if I fall into an endless cycle of enemy replacing their losses, my smaller army will not be able to keep up with this.

AO Spanish Civil War - Corunna Road

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 7211

Hero:

Hero almost worth a slot for the Wunderwaffe units due to overrun impact, but not quite as 15 overstrength makes to job done. Assigned to prototype PzAbt 3 instead.

Prototypes Awarded:

M11/39 - 20

Further tank supply to my auxiliary forces, can't say no to this great machine (for this time).

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB (prototype) - * - Steamroller
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IA - *
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IA - * - Exterminator
PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ - Verdeja 2 (WW, OS15)

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 221 - ** - Tenacious Defender
AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 221 - **

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *
Artillerie Abt 2 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - * - Counter Battery Fire

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 - He 51
II./JG 1 - He 51
III./JG 1 - He 51

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Hs123a - *
II./SG 1 - Hs123a - *
III./SG 1 - Hs123a - * - Entrenchment Killer 4x

Reserve

I./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
II./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber
III./KG 1 - Ju 52 Bomber

Auxiliary Force:

1 Gruppo 1 Sq - CR.32
1 Gruppo 2 Sq - CR.32

1 Gruppo 1 Sq in deep, deep trouble. Even relatively good stats don't help if all the enemy fighters in the world decide to attack at one. I'm just glad it's not a unit from my core.

Final turns end with defense of the southern positions from enemy waves. Once my artillery and planes get into position it becomes easier, especially that my Italian infantry did not yet manage to reach the location from the prison part of the map.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 8421 (up 1210)

Overall:

Everything continues nicely with decent gains and extensive help of CTV troops. PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ proves not only deadly, but also relatively safe from attack on the enemy turn, as very few units dare to engage it. It is a prime target for bombers however, so I need to remember this for the future. Large overstrengthened units seem to especially tempt artillery and planes that want to inflict damage from a safe position... As such, key fighters, anti-tank guns and artillery will need to cooperate closely and try to work in support formations even more than usual units.
Last edited by Tassadar on Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser »

The priority targeting of your Overstrengthed units does make some sense; I remember a post by Kerensky stating that one of the things the AI uses when calculating moves is a preference for targeting higher cost units (Slots, Prestige cost, or both, can't remember exactly) which is why bombers in early years especially love to go after your 15-20cm artillery, because they are the only equipment you really have at that point in time that gets that expensive. Since Overstrength increases the Slot size and the overall Prestige cost of the unit that's probably why the bombers are zeroing in on Fafnir.

Also, the dialogue under Schmitz is the same as Weber's, think you missed a bit of editing after some copy-pasting. :P
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Thanks! I indeed copy the template since otherwise tracking the units would be crazy (and despite that I sometimes still miss something) and possibly missed that it was another piece of content already. :)
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO Spanish Civil War - Bilbao

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 8639

Hero:

Really useful hero, but I will not assign him to Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“. The reason for this - Panzer I Breda (and late war powerful At guns as well) just has 4 ammo, so this significantly impacts AA support possibilities. Assigned to FlaK Abt 2 instead.

Prototypes Awarded:

75/32 M37 - 20

A bit more artillery again. Too bad it's 2 range. Despite the goo AT option on it I would still prefer to shoot far in this scenario rather than have tank destroying options.

New Equipment Provided:

PzAbt 2 - Panzer IB
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IB
FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm FlaK 18 (SdKfz 7)
I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ - He 112
I./SG 1 - Ju 87A
II./SG 1 - Ju 87A
I./KG 1 - Ju 86
II./KG 1 - Ju 86
III./KG 1 - Ju 86

Aside from very significant tank, bomber and AA unit upgrades I get my first Wunderwaffe fighter. As with the Panzer I Breda, this is not something I can upgrade in 1939 and 1940 and seeing how jet planes are not going to appear anytime soon, it will be interesting to see it all the way into 1941 and 1942 for sure. It's powerful now, but will slowly become obsolete unless it is modified with heroes. Three Wunderwaffe units take up 16 core slots now.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB - * - Steamroller
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IB - * - Steamroller
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IB - * - Exterminator
PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ - Verdeja 2 (WW, OS15)

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 2 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport) - Double Support

Fighter

I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ - He 112 (WW, OS15) - *

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo - ** - Legendary

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 86
II./KG 1 - Ju 86
III./KG 1 - Ju 86

Reserve

II./JG 1 - He 51 - *
III./JG 1 - He 51 - *

Auxiliary Force:

4º Reggimento fanteria - CTV Infantry (Truck)
1 Gruppo 1 Sq - CR.32
1 Gruppo 2 Sq - CR.32
1 Gruppo 3 Sq - CR.32
1 Gruppo 4 Sq - CR.32

Once again I assign a large Italian force. This is because the objective requires to capture specific hexes before other ones and my Spanish friends cannot be trusted to do so...

I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ leads my new upgraded air force.

Despite earlier doubts, my Spanish friends prove quite capable at capturing fortified hill positions.

Huge siege of Bilbao is complete, time to take out forces that are entirely cut off from any supply.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 8889 (up 250)

Overall:

That was quite an intense scenario with my allies reinforcing and replacing losses multiple times, costing me a lot of my valuable resources in several initial turns. On the other hand, once the encirclement of Bilbao got completed, taking the city was not a problem at all and the added bonus is that while I do not accept surrenders, by allies do it perfectly fine, so I can set up suppression before their turn. New equipment received this time was quite useful - 15 strength He 112 is absolutely deadly to Republican planes. Similarly Italian help allowed me to fill in the gaps and help guide Spanish forces to attacks I wanted to. The push from the eastern side towards the city went fine, but the southern forces were in some trouble since I deployed less units than I should have. Ironically this helped with the side objective, as there was not risk of the town getting taken before northern bonus objectives.

AO Spanish Civil War - Brunete

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 10544

Hero:

Another hero not really for my key units, but III./JG 1 could use some support in the long term.

Prototypes Awarded:

G.50 - 20

I already have a He 112, so an Italian fighter is not as exciting, but the slightly sad thing is that it has 6 more ground defense than my "Wunderwaffe"...

Tank

PzAbt 3 - Panzer IB - * - Exterminator
PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ - Verdeja 2 (WW, OS15) - *

Recon

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda (WW, OS15) - *

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 4 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - *

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 86

Reserve

II./JG 1 - He 51 - *
III./JG 1 - He 51 - * - Thorough Preparation
II./KG 1 - Ju 86
III./KG 1 - Ju 86

Auxiliary Force:

1 Gruppo 1 Sq - G.50
1 Gruppo 2 Sq - CR.32
1 Gruppo 3 Sq - CR.32

PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ and Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ working together are a really tough nut to crack for any tanks the enemy might try to throw at me. As usual, the Panzer I Breda is a tempting target for enemy infantry as well, but this rarely results in any losses taken.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 12213 (up 1669)

Overall:

Since this mission provides prestige per turn, I managed to restock in addition to what victory hexes and my Legendary hero provide. My overstrengthened units really start to shine here, being able to take a lot of enemy fire and still operate well, since any damage up to 10 strength can be for the most part ignored. This really helped the intense fighting around Brunete where the enemy waves just keep coming and coming and where taking out any units that appear entirely before they can replace losses is key to quick victory and not getting bogged down in a war of attrition.

AO Spanish Civil War - Gijon

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 5458

Hero:

New hero is assigned to the fresh tank unit that I get for this mission. I want to create a tank that can help take the hits instead of my more vulnerable units and this is the first step towards it.

Prototypes Awarded:

Bf 109B - 20

Nice, I get German prototypes in a mission where planes are mostly useless... I deploy I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ in this scenario since I essentially have to due to rules of the run, but II./JG 1 will have to wait with their new machines until the next mission where... they become normally available and loose prototype status....

New Units Commissioned:

PzAbt 5 - Panzer IB
Artillerie Abt 5 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)
Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport)

Tank

PzAbt 3 - Panzer IB - * - Exterminator, Steamroller
PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ - Verdeja 2 (WW, OS15) - * - Steamroller
PzAbt 5 - Panzer IB - Unyielding

Recon

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda (WW, OS15) - *

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

Reserve

II./JG 1 - Bf 109B (prototype) - *
III./JG 1 - He 51 - * - Thorough Preparation
I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
I./KG 1 - Ju 86
II./KG 1 - Ju 86
III./KG 1 - Ju 86

Auxiliary Force:

1º Reggimento artiglieria - 105mm 105/28 (Horse Transport)

With a lot of new artillery deployed my Spanish allies can be properly supported in taking out fortified positions while recons and tanks deal with other ground troops.

Similar to Bilbao my best units focus on a rush towards the bonus objectives to ensure they are captured before the main one falls. It is more tricky this time as the Spanish infantry manages to do some good work and is moving ahead at a really quick pace, leaving me with not many turns to complete my goal, unless I'd just use the "Hold Position" command.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 6804 (up 1346)

Overall:

It was well worth investing in two new artillery units. Having six in this scenario (well seven if counting Italian support), really helped pushing through the mountainous terrain, especially in the first several turns. Those few deeply entrenched positions are the most difficulty ones, aside from the area near side objectives where a few tanks appear, but my own elite forces were enough to deal with that issue. After another go at this scenario path I am starting to be less concerned about "siege" missions and while I would play open terrain ones each time as my first choice, I now feel that despite what it may seem, such missions may sometimes be easier than large scale panzer battles. That is of course if Trench Slog is not take as a trait - that would probably be masochistic...
Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser »

I started a run where I picked Trench Slog as a flaw once.
Once.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO Spanish Civil War - Teruel

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 8605

Hero:

Finally a hero that I can consider for the main part of my army as he provides an unique ability. Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ will now be able to provide support fire on unaware armored targets and this should both speed up experience gained and increase combat efficiency.

Prototypes Awarded:

90/63 M41C - 20

8.8 cm FlaK equivalent in the Italian army with one more ammo - will be useful in Ebro for sure!

New Units Commissioned:

PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIA - to join during the mission

New Equipment Provided:

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 231 6Rad
FlaK Abt 2 - SdKfz 10/4
II./JG 1 - Bf 109B
III./JG 1 - Bf 109B

Tank

PzAbt 3 - Panzer IB - * - Exterminator, Steamroller
PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ - Verdeja 2 (WW, OS15) - * - Steamroller
PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIA - to join during the mission

Recon

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 231 6Rad - ** - Tenacious Defender

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda (WW, OS15) - * - Camouflage

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 2 - SdKfz 10/4 - Double Support

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

Reserve

II./JG 1 - Bf 109B - *
III./JG 1 - Bf 109B - * - Thorough Preparation
I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
I./KG 1 - Ju 86
II./KG 1 - Ju 86
III./KG 1 - Ju 86

Auxiliary Force:

None

I'll never get bored of that cavalry charge. It's costly, but really effective and all my troops have to do is to provide support and deal with lower priority targets.

Some Republican forces try to cross the river southwest taking advantage of poor weather. Luckily I am prepared for such a turn of events. Also, it's the firs time I've ever seen more than a single tank trying to attack this way.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 8020 (down 585)

Overall:

Even considering the fact I was unable to prevent heavy losses taken by Nationalist cavalry units, I still think the scenario went well under the conditions that occurred. The weather was simply terrible most of them time, severely restricting movement and scouting range, so the charge could not proceed as swiftly as I would like it to. Luckily the units managed to pick up speed on turns when the snowstorm cleared and finish what they started. With my army having more and more experience I'm starting to see a real difference in how 1-2 star and overstrengthened units affect the battlefield and it's a scary sight to behold!

AO Spanish Civil War - Aragon Offensive

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 9300

Hero:

AufkAbt 2 becomes more combat oriented, but my main force hero luck is just not at its best these days.

Prototypes Awarded:

Breda 20/65 M35 - 15

Even more AA guns? Good, Ebro will not be a fortunate scenario for the Republican air force.

Tank

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IB - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IB - ** - Exterminator, Steamroller
PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ - Verdeja 2 (WW, OS15) - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIA (WW, OS15)

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

II./JG 1 - Bf 109B - *

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *

Reserve

AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 221 - ** - Superior Maneuver
AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 221 - **
FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm FlaK 18 (SdKfz 7) - *
I./KG 1 - Ju 86
II./KG 1 - Ju 86
III./KG 1 - Ju 86

Auxiliary Force:

1 Gruppo 1 Sq - G.50
1º Reggimento artiglieria - 105mm 105/28 (Horse Transport)

Enemy bombers just can't stop targeting my overstrengthened units as they did before. It makes them easier to shoot down on subsequent turns if I plan ahead accordingly, but it does lead to building up steady losses over the course of the scenario.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 9916 (up 616)

Overall:

No captures, just straightforward combat utilizing equipment and experience advantage, that was the main style of Aragon Offensive mission. Especially PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ with two stars now is mowing down every enemy tank with ease and the limiting factor is just the amount of ammo, since with air raids and other support fire I can enable huge overruns. That said, with the introduction of final Wunderwaffe in SCW, the PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“, my core slot cost for all these units rose to 18. That's a lot considering that for this mission for example I only had 52 slots to start with and these numbers will only go up. Good that these units are for now a great value and that Panzer General trait, even at this early stage of the war already provides a 4 core slot discount.

AO Spanish Civil War - Battle of the Ebro

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 10604

Hero:

Now that's really a downward luck spiral when it comes to heroes! Leaving this one unassigned until I get to the 1939 DLC and can add him to a bridge engineer unit.

Prototypes Awarded:

90/53 M41C - 15

Shoot down everything that moves on the sky and has the wrong markings. Someone in Italy is really not a fan of I-16 and I-15 planes...

Tank

PzAbt 2 - Panzer IB - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIA (WW, OS15)

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ - He 112 (WW, OS15) - * - Adolf Galland
II./JG 1 - Bf 109B - *

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *

Reserve

AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 221 - ** - Superior Maneuver
AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 221 - **
I./KG 1 - Ju 86
II./KG 1 - Ju 86
III./KG 1 - Ju 86

Auxiliary Force:

1º Reggimento artiglieria contraerei - 90/53 M41C
2º Reggimento artiglieria contraerei - Breda 20/65 M35 (Truck)
1 Gruppo 1 Sq - G.50
1 Gruppo 2 Sq - G.50
1 Gruppo 3 Sq - G.50
1 Gruppo 4 Sq - G.50

Back to big spending on Italian troops. Two AA guns units and four fighters should make sure that my ground troops are safe, while three infantry units will help hold or retake river crossings. A single tank will help Benifallet defenders and prevent any unexpected nasty surprises there.

Even without any organic transport (bug?) 1º Reggimento artiglieria contraerei is dangerous due to the huge range.

Despite the command to defend, several of my allied troops feel the need to cross Ebro and get destroyed by the enemy on his turn. That was not the smartest decision - Nationalist infantry was so obsessed taking out artillery, that it neglected basic self preservation instincts.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 15374 (up 4770)

Overall:

I honestly did not expect to gain so much prestige, but two Legendary heroes over the course of 30 turns really add up in addition to the generous 175 prestige per turn. Italians did a lot of work once more, securing the air for the most part, so I was able to focus on the ground part of the fight. It was a much more chilling experience compared to when I first played Ebro - at this point it is still a tough scenario, but also one where there is a particular viable strategy and unless something goes spectacularly wrong in the terms of where Republican reinforcements spawn (and it sure can!), it can be managed in a foreseeable fashion.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO Spanish Civil War - Catalonia

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 15761

Hero:

Assigned to III./SG 1 that will eventually become I./ZG 1 and be rearmed with Bf 110 planes.

Prototypes Awarded:

CR.42 Falco - 15

Nothing spectacular, but I will deploy this in Madrid for some biplane action.

New Units Commissioned:

Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)
Panzerjäger Abt 4 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (Horse Transport)
FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)
FlaK Abt 4 - 2 cm FlaK 30 (Horse Transport)

New Equipment Provided:

AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 222
AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 222

Tank

PzAbt 5 - Panzer IB - Unyielding - *
PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIA (WW, OS15) - * - Steamroller, Survivor

Recon

AufkAbt 2 - SdKfz 222 - ** - Superior Maneuver
AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 222 - **

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 1 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - **
Artillerie Abt 3 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - **

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 2 - SdKfz 10/4 - * - Double Support

Fighter

I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ - He 112 (WW, OS15) - ** - Adolf Galland

Reserve

II./JG 1 - Bf 109B - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *
III./SG 1 - Hs123a - * - Entrenchment Killer 4x, Aggressive Counterattack
I./KG 1 - Ju 86
II./KG 1 - Ju 86
III./KG 1 - Ju 86

Auxiliary Force:

None, the extra slots and almost no air units give me more room to add core units of my own.

Both PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ and PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ can basically one-shot any transport unit provided there is a recon next to it or support fire provided before, so the mission goes really quickly. These tanks stack multiple overruns and finish the job faster than ever before.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 16152 (up 391)

Overall:

Weather was simply abysmal with constant snow affecting visibility and forcing most of my units to stay close to each other to avoid accidental issues with getting encircled or ambushed. Still, my main tanks force was enough to wipe out most of the transports, since their concentrated firepower meant a whole convoy could be taken care of in a single turn. The transports stood not chance despite their escorts.

AO Spanish Civil War - Madrid 1939

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 19069

Hero:

A hero that will join I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“. Maybe not forever, but until the unit continues to use He 112 fighters, this solves the huge issue of their poor initiative, which should be huge over French and British sky. It does make Galland's initiative bonus obsolete however, so at one point I will probably pot to optimize the hero setup on this unit, but likely not sooner than when jet fighters come into play.

Prototypes Awarded:

Sahariana - 15

Quite an unusual prototype to get, but quite interesting. I will deploy it in this mission to have a look at what it can do.

Tank

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ - He 112 (WW, OS15) - ** - First Strike, Adolf Galland
II./JG 1 - Bf 109B - *

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 86
II./KG 1 - Ju 86
III./KG 1 - Ju 86

Reserve

Auxiliary Force:

1º Reggimento lancieri - Sahariana
2 Gruppo 1 Sq - CR.42 Falco

Despite not being able to capture anything, I do not plan to give up on creating encirclements whenever there is a chance. This still makes combat a lot easier, so the same tactics apply. The only downside is that I need a lot of auxiliary units for this, since by core is numerically smaller, and as such unable to perform such operations on its own.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 20277 (up 1208)

Overall:

With such hordes of infantry put under my direct command this time the scenario feels so much different than all the previous ones and significantly more manageable. Spanish forces continue to do what my tanks are unable to, that is clear close terrain, while my armored forces strike hard on the communist tanks on the other side of the river. A large scale encirclement cuts off the enemy from supplies, and despite my forces not accepting any surrenders, the situation is quickly dealt with. I can now more to 1939 conquests and look forward to new unique units.

AO Spanish Civil War - Summary

Starting Prestige: 1400
Final Prestige: 20277 (up 18877)

Wow, that's a lot more than I expected. Looks like double Legendary hero paid of, especially with the first one being granted in the second scenario and being deployed almost every time.

Final Army Composition:

Tank

Recon

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Artillerie Abt 2 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Horse Transport) - ** - Counter Battery Fire

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

II./JG 1 - Bf 109B - *

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87A - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87A - *

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 86 - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 86
III./KG 1 - Ju 86

Thoughts:

Moving towards 1939 means a few new Wunderwaffe units and what is most important, a lot of new prototypes. This mechanic in SCW was impacted significantly by Italian units, so I did not have a chance to see how it will affect my unit deployment, but I can imagine my options will become more and more restricted with the core being mostly repeatable between missions. So far there were only two heroes viable for assignment to Wunderwaffe units (plus Galland), so my luck has not been ideal, but both Camouflage and First Strike are huge in terms of what they allow these units to do. My concern is that while my elite units were superior in SCW, in 1939 their technical advantage will begin to slowly fade and in 1940 it will be even more noticeable. This run will probably start to spice up really nicely around 1943, but so far I am not complaining, the amount of unique units in SCW was decent and 1939 brings three more, plus a singe upgrade.

AO 1939 - Czechoslovakia

Wunderwaffe classification for 1939:

Infantry:

Azul Infanterie - New

Tank:

Verdeja 2 - Old
Pazner IIC - Upgrade for Pazner IIA

Anti-Tank:

Panzer I Breda - Old

Artillery:

Sturmpanzer I - New

Fighter:

He 112 - Old

Tactical Bomber:

Il-2 Shturmovik - New

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 22531

Hero:

A really good hit at the start of 1939 - ideal for Azul Infanterie as was already proven in one of the previous runs. Since I'll be able to overstrengthen the unit up to 20, it will further improve my damage output.

Prototypes Awarded:

8.8 cm FlaK 36 - 20

A slight letdown as this is identical to the 8.8 cm FlaK 18 variant already in use and will become normally available in the next scenario anyway.

New Units Commissioned:

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - Brückenpioniere (Opel Blitz)
Pionier Bataillon 1 - Pioniere (Opel Blitz)
Grenadier Reg 1 - Grenadier (Opel Blitz)
Infanterie Reg 1 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz)
Infanterie Reg 2 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz)
Infanterie Reg 3 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz)
Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - to join during the mission

New Equipment Provided:

PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIC
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (SdKfz 10) - transport upgraded
Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (SdKfz 10) - transport upgraded
Panzerjäger Abt 4 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (SdKfz 10) - transport upgraded
Former Artillerie Abt 1, now Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“ - Sturmpanzer I
Artillerie Abt 2 - 15 cm sFH 18 (SdKfz 7)
Artillerie Abt 3 - 15 cm sFH 18 (SdKfz 7)
Artillerie Abt 4 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11) - transport upgraded
Artillerie Abt 5 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11) - transport upgraded
Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11) - transport upgraded
FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm FlaK 36 (prototype)
FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm FlaK 38 (SdKfz 10)
FlaK Abt 4 - 2 cm FlaK 38 (SdKfz 10)
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E
III./JG 1 - Bf 109E
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B
I./KG 1 - He 111H2
II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Almost my entire force undergoes a huge upgrade, with the most important thing being the appearance of Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“ with fresh Sturmpanzer I self propelled guns and Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ with Spanish support armed with what I assume is experimental submachine guns (hence the model and Rapid Fire trait).

Infantry

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - Brückenpioniere (Opel Blitz) - Learns From Mistakes
Grenadier Reg 1 - Grenadier (Opel Blitz)
Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (Opel Blitz)

Tank

PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIC (WW, OS15) - * - Steamroller, Survivor

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (SdKfz 10)

Artillery

Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“ - Sturmpanzer I (WW, OS15) - **
Artillerie Abt 4 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11) - *

Reserve

Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (SdKfz 10)
Panzerjäger Abt 4 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (SdKfz 10)
Artillerie Abt 2 - 15 cm sFH 18 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Counter Battery Fire
Artillerie Abt 3 - 15 cm sFH 18 (SdKfz 7) - **
Artillerie Abt 5 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11)
Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11)
FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm FlaK 36 (prototype) (SdKfz 7) - *
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
III./JG 1 - Bf 109E - * - Thorough Preparation
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
I./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Auxiliary Force:

None

Czechoslovakian tanks cross the Bilina river and really intend to make my life difficult...

Summary:

Final Prestige: 23150 (up 619)

Overall:

Actually not destroying any Czechoslovakian units in this mission with my overstrengthened machines was quite difficult! Many times I saw combat predictions that gave me chills and made me stop and change targets after a thought since trying to take the shout would result in accidental annihilation. In the end I just went strait for the alternative win condition, as trying to capture all hexes was too risky - some of the units around them could get killed in one shot by an unluckly roll, more so with 50% random combat results.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Sarreguemines

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 23137

Hero:

A hero that would probably fit Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“, but I've set my sights one even more powerful heroes there. In the end I assign him to Grenadier Reg 1 as Grenadiers are expensive to replace and more prone to damage than Pioniere due to lack of proper Close Defense.

Prototypes Awarded:

SdKfz 7/1 - 15

A solid prototype. This hits a lot harder than SdKfz 10/4, so I will find a use for it.

New Equipment Provided:

PzAbt 1 - Panzer 38(t)A
PzAbt 2 - Panzer 38(t)A
PzAbt 3 - Panzer 38(t)A
PzAbt 5 - Panzer 38(t)A
Artillerie Abt 4 - 21 cm Mrs 18 (SdKfz 7)
FlaK Abt 2 - SdKfz 7/1 (prototype)
Former III./SG1, now I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (Opel Blitz) - No Retaliation

Tank

PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ - Verdeja 2 (WW, OS15) - ** - Steamroller, Albert Kerscher
PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIC (WW, OS15) - * - Steamroller, Survivor

Anti-Tank

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda (WW, OS15) - ** - Camouflage

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

FlaK Abt 2 - SdKfz 7/1 (prototype) - * - Double Support

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C - * - Entrenchment Killer 4x, Aggressive Counterattack

Reserve

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - Brückenpioniere (Opel Blitz) - Learns From Mistakes
Grenadier Reg 1 - Grenadier (Opel Blitz) - First Aid
PzAbt 1 - Panzer 38(t)A - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 2 - Panzer 38(t)A - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 3 - Panzer 38(t)A - ** - Exterminator, Steamroller
PzAbt 5 - Panzer 38(t)A - Unyielding - *
Artillerie Abt 4 - 21 cm Mrs 18 (SdKfz 7) - *
FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm FlaK 36 (SdKfz 7) - *
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
I./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Auxiliary Force:

PzAbt 101 - Panzer IA
AufkAbt 101 - SdKfz 222
Artillerie Abt 101 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Opel Blitz)
I./JG 101 - Bf 109E

My army composition clearly has gaps, so I fill them in with extra auxiliary troops.

Auxiliary forces doing a good job. Panzer IA tanks might not stand up to any French armor, but they provide a distraction while other units finish the job via air and artillery bombardment.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 25679 (up 2542)

Overall:

First encounter with the French does not end well - for them. I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ with First Strike is absolutely brutal, I did not expect it to be such efficient at what it does. Since Sarreguemines scenario only puts the player against a limited enemy force it was not yet a true test of my army, but it showed that with both Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“ and Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ taking 8 core slots EACH, I will need to employ quite a few extra units in the auxiliary slots - so far my Wunderwafffe now use up 34 core slots and this mission provided 56... That's a huge part already occupied, so only selected few scenarios seem to be possible to do without extra support to just add bodies on the ground and block possible encirclement my own units can get into.

AO 1939 - Warndt Forest

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 26308

Hero:

Trying a Provocator and Tenacious Defender combination on AufkAbt 1 - not in this mission however, as my core slot amount is not too large considering the needs.

Prototypes Awarded:

Ju 88A - 20

Good upgrade for my bombers, significantly increasing soft attack. Not something groundbreaking, but these normally appear in all the way in Denmark, so getting them now well ahead of time!

New Equipment Provided:

I./KG 1 - Ju 88A (prototype)

Infantry

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (Opel Blitz) - No Retaliation

Tank

PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIC (WW, OS15) - ** - Steamroller, Survivor

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

Strategic Bomber

I./KG 1 - Ju 88A (prototype) - *

Reserve

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 231 6Rad - ** - Provocator, Tenacious Defender
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Auxiliary Force:

Artillerie Abt 102 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Opel Blitz)
Artillerie Abt 103 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Opel Blitz)
Artillerie Abt 104 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (Opel Blitz)
I./JG 101 - Bf 109E

I have enough infantry of my own, but could sure use a few more artillery units.

With two experience stars now, PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ is able to wipe out unentrenched artillery in the open with ease.

Double Support on my Rapid Fire AA gun pays off - French forces try to target Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“, but do not attack intimidated by the risk casualties they would suffer if they tried.

Auxiliary artillery units help take St.Avold, but Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ is the real star of the siege, dealing massive damage to units around the town.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 27712 (up 1404)

Overall:

I am really glad I took that extra artillery with me. The prestige cost was high, but I've got funds to spare and without the extra support my units would not be able to push through the forest terrain. Even best 15 strength units are very vulnerable in this type of combat and also very prone to getting encircled. What went really good this time was dealing with the western forces near the village an airfield where the counterattack starts. With all my elite units aside from PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ advancing down that side, the French attempt to take the village and split my forces in two was quickly dealt with and I was then even able to assist the raid towards St.Avold.

AO 1939 - Orenthal

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 28193

Hero:

And so Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 gains a second hero. Might even get to see some action in this scenario.

Prototypes Awarded:

Ju 88A - 20

Even more Ju 88A bombers - this gives me enough spare parts that I should not be concerned now about getting enough for the 1939 campaign.

Infantry

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - Brückenpioniere (Opel Blitz) - Learns From Mistakes, River Assault
Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (Opel Blitz) - * - No Retaliation

Tank

Anti-Tank

Artillery

Anti-Aircraft

Fighter

Tactical Bomber

Strategic Bomber

Reserve

II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Auxiliary Force:

Infanterie Reg 101 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz)
Infanterie Reg 102 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz)
PzAbt 101 - Pazner IA

Starved for slots, I order support from various types of extra units that can help secure a proper encirclement around Orenthal.

Irony strikes! Camouflage French tanks get ambushed by my Camouflage AT vehicles...

Summary:

Final Prestige: 28626 (up 433)

Overall:

Larger losses this time, since the units besieging Orenthal needed constant replacements. Still I finish with positive prestige, all objectives cleared and some lesson learned on how to use combined arms for breakthroughs if I have only a few units, but powerful ones. Of course these plans sometimes spectacularly fall apart when Poor Maintenance kicks in, so there has to be some flexibility. In SCW when this trait combined with unpredictable AI behavior it was quite annoying at times, but now I welcome it to the game as a refreshing way to spice things up and learn to adapt on the fly. Fortunately this seems to be calculated for each unit individually, not proportional to the since of the army, so even with a small army the odds are the same as with a larger one.
Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser »

As amusing as the Camo on Camo violence is, I dread the day Kerensky let's loose an entire Squad of Camouflage units in a Scenario, especially if they are more competitive than the 35 tank here.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Stormchaser wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:50 pm As amusing as the Camo on Camo violence is, I dread the day Kerensky let's loose an entire Squad of Camouflage units in a Scenario, especially if they are more competitive than the 35 tank here.
That would be the real Ghost Division. :D
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Forbach

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 28776

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IIIG - 15

Wow, that's a really good prototype to get. Won't be deploying it for this mission since it already starts with a specific core, but will be great to use moving forward.

Volunteers only, no core army is deployed.

Reserve

Pionier Brücken Bataillon 1 - Brückenpioniere (Opel Blitz) - Learns From Mistakes, River Assault
Pionier Bataillon 1 - Pioniere (Opel Blitz) - Survivor
Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (Opel Blitz) - * - No Retaliation
PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ - Verdeja 2 (WW, OS15) - *** - Steamroller, Albert Kerscher
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (SdKfz 10) - *
I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ - He 112 (WW, OS15) - *** - First Strike, Adolf Galland
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Lone infantry unit just refuses to join French friends and remains near Forbach. It is unable however to stop my incoming armored forces.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 29426 (up 650)

Overall:

Not much to say, but this scenario yet again goes a bit differently in terms of which units join the fighting and when. Quite a lot of unpredictability!

AO 1939 - Saarbrucken

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 30997

Hero:

While I am thrilled about this new hero, I'll keep him in reserve until the Il-2 shows up. This ability is worth waiting for an elite unit!

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IIIG - 15

I really do not mind extra parts for these new tanks. That will greatly upgrade my armored forces with thanks having more armor and better hard attack values.

New Equipment Provided:

PzAbt 3 - Panzer IIIG (prototype)

New Units Commissioned:

PzAbt 7 - Somua S35 - to join during the mission, but will not be used actively after it, until a certain scenario in 1940 where I will upgrade to certain slightly larger French tanks...

Infantry:

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (Opel Blitz) - * - No Retaliation, Oleh Dir

Tank:

PzAbt 3 - Panzer IIIG (prototype) - ** - Exterminator, Steamroller
PzAbt 7 - Somua S35 - to join during the mission

Anti-Tank:

Artillery:

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *

Tactical Bomber:

Strategic Bomber:

Reserve

Pionier Bataillon 1 - Pioniere (Opel Blitz) - Survivor
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Auxiliary Force:

PzAbt 101 - Pazner IA
PzAbt 102 - Pazner IA
I./JG 101 - Bf 109E
II./JG 101 - Bf 109E

First Strike on a He 112 in action. Despite not being too impressive in 1939 anymore, this special hero combined with Galland's extra air attack and the bonus from awards makes it an extremely dangerous units against French fighters.

Camouflage on Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ is starting to pay off against large French forces. I just need to make sure to snipe recons and planes in advance since the AI will otherwise not fall into the support fire trap.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 33971 (up 2974)

Overall:

With 70 prestige per turn on top of legendary heroes and solid defensive positions it was easier to accumulate some prestige supply. Other than that, an increased core meant that finally some of my other units had the chance to appear again. Both PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ and I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ already reached their experience cap, but will continue to be deployed, so other troops might end up experience starved in the long run and I'll need to rotate these out. Here the prototype system will hopefully help, as new appearing prototypes should enable some other units to take priority over other ones.

AO 1939 - Battle of the Bzura

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 36737

Hero:

River Assault yet again. Not too thrilling, but I can add the hero to Pioner Batallion 1.

Prototypes Awarded:

Ju 88A - 20

OK, at this point I have my fair share of these strategic bombers and I would not complain if something else appeared...

Infantry:

Pionier Bataillon 1 - Pioniere (Opel Blitz) - Survivor, River Assault
Grenadier Reg 1 - Grenadier (Opel Blitz) - * - First Aid
Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (Opel Blitz) - * - No Retaliation, Oleh Dir

Tank:

Recon:

Anti-Tank:

Artillery:

Artillerie Abt 5 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11) - *

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

Tactical Bomber:

Strategic Bomber:

Reserve

PzAbt 7 - Somua S35
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Auxiliary Force:

AufkAbt 101 - SdKfz 222
AufkAbt 102 - SdKfz 222

Intense fighting around Lowicz - since I have less units overall deployed the army there takes much slower to progress against massive Polish forces.

Despite dependable support, my infantry in the open is still quite vunerable.

A Polish tankette unit sneaks by my force and tries to take back Piatek - luckily I had my auxiliary recons available there to prevent a nasty surprise.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 39816 (up 3079)

Overall:

Since Polish forces have overall weaker equipment than French ones, the misson went well. My powerful units were able to punch through opposing forces easily. This mission however brought up an interesting point to consider - while I am perfectly able to combat any enemy on the front line, I will almost surely require auxiliary forces to shore up holes in my front line on larger maps. Not being able to maintain a line of sight over the front can result in dangerous situations like the one with the tankettes here. It is not a concern normally, the deployment figures for each map are carefully set to ensure that a usual size army will manage just fine, but they are not designed for with spamming massively overstrengthened units. Thus a few cheap recons or even Panzer IA tanks can ensure nothing unexpected happens beyond the area of my control.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Modlin

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 40111

Hero:

While I'd always prefer No Retaliation, another First Strike hero is a great addition as proven on I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ already. This new soldier joins Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ to offset the usual AT gun initiative penalty when attacking after moving.

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IVD - 15

Very solid tank upgrade for dealing with infantry, sadly rolled low in terms of parts.

New Equipment Provided:

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IVD (prototype)

New Units Commissioned:

Panzerzug „Lyngbakr“ - Armored Train

While not a Wunderwaffe, I will treat the armored train on the same level as prototypes, so second priority in the deployment queue.

Infantry:

Infanterie Reg 1 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - *
Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (Opel Blitz) - ** - No Retaliation, Oleh Dir

Tank:

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IVD (prototype) - ** - Steamroller

Anti-Tank:

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda (WW, OS15) - ** - Camouflage, First Strike

Artillery:

Artillerie Abt 2 - 15 cm sFH 18 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Counter Battery Fire, Skilled Support

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

Tactical Bomber:

I./AG 1 - He 70 Rayo - *** - Legendary

Strategic Bomber:

Armored Train:

Reserve

Pionier Bataillon 1 - Pioniere (Opel Blitz) - * - Survivor, River Assault
Infanterie Reg 2 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - *
PzAbt 7 - Somua S35
AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 231 6Rad - ** - Provocator, Tenacious Defender, Survivor
Artillerie Abt 4 - 21 cm Mrs 18 (SdKfz 7) - **
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Auxiliary Force:

AufkAbt 101 - SdKfz 222
AufkAbt 102 - SdKfz 222

With experienced recon plane support PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ can now one-shot artillery also in close terrain. This greatly speeds up potential breakthroughs!

Modlin fortress encircled fully and I embark on an ambitious task of taking out the fort with no pioneer or tactical bomber support to see if that's even remotely possible.

Well then, with all the targets but the fort itself cleared, 19 points of its strength suppressed, ammo depleted none of my units can deal a single point of damage! Modlin has a ground defense of 44 and air defense of 12 and I think I can safely assume without proper units for the job a regular army cannot even dream about taking it on.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 42056 (up 1945)

Overall:

That was nice try, but ultimately failed pioneers and Stukas are a must! With the current setup I did not have anything that could penetrate the fort's defenses. The map is small, so even my limited force was able to close an encirclement with just minimal auxiliary force support, which is a rare thing indeed, but lacked the firepower to finish the job properly. At least I tested it for science.

AO 1939 - Brest-Litovsk

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 10883

Hero:

Leadership is not that amazing in circumstances where I do not have much room for recon units, but I will give AufkAbt 3 a hero as well.

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IIIG - 15

More parts for prototype tanks are always welcome, as these units are facing the foes turn after turn and require more supplies than most other ones.

Infantry:

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (Opel Blitz) - ** - No Retaliation, Oleh Dir

Tank:

PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIC (WW, OS15) - *** - Steamroller, Survivor

Recon:

AufkAbt 3 - SdKfz 222 - ** - Leadership

Anti-Tank:

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda (WW, OS15) - ** - Camouflage, First Strike

Artillery:

Artillerie Abt 6 - 10.5 cm leFH 18 (SdKfz 11) - *

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

Tactical Bomber:

Strategic Bomber:

Armored Train:

Reserve

PzAbt 7 - Somua S35
Artillerie Abt 2 - 15 cm sFH 18 (SdKfz 7) - ** - Counter Battery Fire, Skilled Support
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Auxiliary Force:

None, just regular core army deployed

Flying the recon plane above Bialystok to take a look at the situation, as previously I just left the armies there to fight on their own without checking. Since I./AG 1 reached its experience limit anyway, it can continue serving in just intelligence role. I could spend some prestige on auxiliary planes, but frankly the map is to small for it to be worth the trouble.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 13620 (up 2737)

Overall:

Relatively easy scenario even without extra auxiliary units. With just some leftover Polish forces roaming about and only a limited Soviet presence there was no real resistance and victory came quickly. Also, my prestige per turn gain is starting to become quite good thanks to more and more unique heroes, so keeping I./AG 1 in the core might not be required anymore as my main way to earn points.

AO 1939 - Warsaw

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 15028

Hero:

New hero gets assigned to I./SG 1 out of lack of ideas where to utilize him better.

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IVD - 15

I welcome more Panzer IVD prototypes, as my supply was low actually and I risked not being able to deploy them anymore.

New Units Commissioned:

III./SG 1 „Feuervogel“ - Il-2 Shuturmovik

Last Wunderwaffe appearing in this DLC - it counts not only because it appears outside the time it was produced and likely I won't be able to acquire more ever, but also since the mission clearly states the event involving it is about trying to capture a prototype and produce some by the German industry.

Infantry:

Infanterie Reg 3 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - *

Tank:

Anti-Tank:

Artillery:

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

Tactical Bomber:

III./SG 1 „Feuervogel“ - Il-2 Shuturmovik - to join during the mission

Strategic Bomber:

II./KG 1 - He 111H2
III./KG 1 - He 111H2

Armored Train:

Reserve

PzAbt 7 - Somua S35
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
I./SG 1 - Ju 87B - ** - Entrenchment Killer 4x
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *

Auxiliary Force:

Infanterie Reg 103 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz)
Infanterie Reg 104 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz)
PzAbt 101 - Panzer IA
PzAbt 102 - Panzer IA
AufkAbt 101 - SdKfz 222
AufkAbt 102 - SdKfz 222
I./JG 101 - Bf 109E
II./JG 101 - Bf 109E
III./JG 101 - Bf 109E

Large investment in extra forces, but it is very important due to the size of the map and amount of objectives that should be secured.

Auxiliary fighters are nowhere near I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ level despite technical superiority of the Bf 109E. It just shows the value of experience and heroes compared to raw stats.

Some losses to the prototype tank units on the eastern side, but I still have vehicles to spare.

Last encirclement is coming to a close and my forces can soon move to Finland for some action versus the Soviets and possibly some newer prototypes.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 15415 (up 387)

Overall:

Long battle of attrition district by district, but with lessons learned form my Panzermon run where I had juts one infantry unit at my disposal things were easier this time as I could not only deploy extra infantry (despite being auxiliary), but also know which sections would be best to start with. Interestingly Polish air force survived for quite a long time - not only due to not too amazing combat results as seen from the predictions on screen above, but also due to the fact that I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ was not able to be everywhere at once. I could really use a Fast Rebase hero on it!
Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser »

Yeah, that's about what I expected to happen at Modlin. But again, science!
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Raate Road

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 16632

Hero:

AufkAbt 1 hero adding to the already existing bonuses for fighting multiple enemies at once.

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IIIG - 20

While I was hoping for something else, more Panzer IIIG tanks are not a terrible thing to get, as they extend battle viability.

Infantry:

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (Opel Blitz) - *** - No Retaliation, Oleh Dir

Tank:

Recon:

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 231 6Rad - ** - Fierce Fighter, Provocator, Tenacious Defender, Survivor

Anti-Tank:

Artillery:

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

Tactical Bomber:

I./ZG 1 - Bf 110C - ** - Entrenchment Killer 4x, Aggressive Counterattack
III./SG 1 „Feuervogel“ - Il-2 Shuturmovik (WW, OS15) - Double Move

Strategic Bomber:

I./KG 1 - Ju 88A (prototype) - **

Reserve

Infanterie Reg 3 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz) - *
PzAbt 7 - Somua S35
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

Auxiliary Force:

Infanterie Reg 103 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz)
Infanterie Reg 104 - Wehr Infanterie (Opel Blitz)
AufkAbt 101 - SdKfz 222
AufkAbt 102 - SdKfz 222
AufkAbt 103 - SdKfz 222
AufkAbt 104 - SdKfz 222
I./JG 101 - Bf 109E
II./JG 101 - Bf 109E

Infantry to block close terrain, fighters to help protect ground units and a lot of recons to place on key hill points for extra spotting.

For some bizarre reason OT-133 tanks with No Retaliation decide to attack PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ and deal no damage. The next turn the unit gets absolutely destroyed being in a vulnerable position far from other Soviet combat patrol units.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 17046 (up 414)

Overall:

Now that was some intense 15 strength elite unit vs. elite unit combat! Since I cannot capture anything I went for good old fair battle and was able to have my army came out victorious despite the Soviets packing several nasty heroes of their own... and their machines not breaking down all the time in key moments like when I wanted to finish off a damage unit before it could replace losses...

AO 1939 - Taipale

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 18488

Hero:

Good, a hero I will actually assign to a Wunderwaffe unit - PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“. Since Panzer IIC will become increasingly more obsolete until some type of upgrade is available, the extra firepower versus infantry will allow it to serve another role in my core, leaving the tank vs. tank fighting to other units.

Prototypes Awarded:

Ju 88A - 15

A miss this time - these bombers become available in Denmark normally and besides, I still have a solid supply from earlier prototype assignments.

New Equipment Provided:

Former Infanterie Reg 3, now Gebirgsjäger Reg 1 - Gebirgsjäger

Infantry:

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (Opel Blitz) - *** - No Retaliation, Oleh Dir

Tank:

PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIC (WW, OS15) - *** - Butcher, Steamroller, Survivor

Anti-Tank:

Artillery:

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *

Tactical Bomber:

Strategic Bomber:

I./KG 1 - Ju 88A (prototype) - **

Armored Train:

Reserve

Gebirgsjäger Reg 1 - Gebirgsjäger - *
PzAbt 7 - Somua S35
AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 231 6Rad - ** - Fierce Fighter, Provocator, Tenacious Defender, Survivor
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *
III./KG 1 - He 111H2 - *

I accidentally forgot to deploy PzAbt 1 thinking I have run out of Panzer IVD tanks, but actually still had some parts to spare, whoops!

Auxiliary Force:

AufkAbt 101 - SdKfz 222
AufkAbt 102 - SdKfz 222
I./JG 101 - Bf 109E

New hero on PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ really paid off!

That's a third 25 strength conscript unit in a row being wiped out on the defense Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“, all in one turn.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 21105 (up 2617)

Overall:

Now this is a type of scenario in which 15 strength units wit tons of experience and superior firepower really shine. I may struggle covering a lot of terrain, capturing especially tricky fortified positions or making sure I have a proper balance of combined arms, but when it comes down to taking out as many units as possible over a small part of the map my army can get things done like no other. Especially attackers trying to get to Taipale from the southeastern part were in for one nasty surprise!

AO 1939 - Denmark

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 21096

Hero:

Why not try give my super anti-tank unit Overrun as well to help where I'm on the offense rather than defending? Trying it out now.

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IIIH - 15

Ah, I can feel AO 1940 incoming with this new prototype, offering better armor over the G variant and giving a chance to deploy some of my tank units that I've kept in reserve for a lot of time now.

New Equipment Provided:

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (SdKfz 251/1) - transport upgraded
PzAbt 2 - Panzer IIIH
FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm Flakvierling 38 (SdKfz 10)
FlaK Abt 4 - 2 cm Flakvierling 38 (SdKfz 10)
II./KG 1 - Ju 88A
III./KG 1 - Ju 88A

New Units Commissioned:

Fallschirmjäger Reg 1 - Fallschirmjäger
Fallschirmjäger Reg 2 - Fallschirmjäger
Fallschirmjäger Reg 3 - Fallschirmjäger

Infantry:

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (SdKfz 251/1) - *** - No Retaliation, Oleh Dir

Tank:

PzAbt 2 - Panzer IIIH (prototype) - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 3 - Panzer IIIG (prototype) - *** - Exterminator, Steamroller
PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIC (WW, OS15) - *** - Butcher, Steamroller, Survivor

Anti-Tank:

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda (WW, OS15) - ** - Camouflage, First Strike, Overrun

Artillery:

Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“ - Sturmpanzer I (WW, OS15) - ***

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

Tactical Bomber:

Reserve

PzAbt 7 - Somua S35
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
I./KG 1 - Ju 88A - **
II./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *
III./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *
Panzerzug „Lyngbakr“ - Armored Train - *

Auxiliary Force:

None, just core units deployed.

All objectives around the capital are cleared early, but the western part of my force still continues fighting for a several turns. That's because Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ took out multiple units so quickly the other parts of my army barely were able to keep up.

Summary:

Final Prestige: 23748 (up 2652)

Overall:

Not much to say about Denmark as there was not real threat any time. I even managed to work my way through the scenario without any auxiliary forces apart from the ones already deployed by default. But that is to be expected, the Danish army was not too numerous and could not offer serious resistance.

AO 1939 - Summary

Starting Prestige: 22531
Final Prestige: 23748 (up 1217)

Final Army Composition:

Infantry:

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (SdKfz 251/1) - *** - No Retaliation, Oleh Dir
Fallschirmjäger Reg 1
Fallschirmjäger Reg 2
Fallschirmjäger Reg 3

Tank:

PzAbt 7 - Somua S35

Recon:

Anti-Tank:

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda (WW, OS15) - ** - Camouflage, First Strike, Overrun

Artillery:

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *

Tactical Bomber:

II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *

Strategic Bomber:

I./KG 1 - Ju 88A - **
II./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *
III./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *

Armored Train:

Thoughts:

AO 1940 introduced more Wunderwaffe units and really brought up my core requirement for all of them up by a lot. Currently they lock out 46 core slots! That really does not leave much room and while it was still fine in Poland or Denmark, there is limit to how much can be done by a small army. Encirclements (the AI seems to have gotten a lot better at these), limited ammo are a factor, but such are also increasingly powerful opponents. Charles de Gaulle and his division won't be easily intimidated by PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ like all the tanks so far, so I will need to consider some other options. AO 1940 will not only add this challenge, but also introduce just a single new Wunderwaffe unit, the Neubaufahrzeug. That said, I am setting my sights towards some rocket artillery that can be acquired as prototypes and some Char 1C's and 20/70 quadruplo - both appearing in the captured equipment pool, but meet the prototype/low production criteria and are not possible to obtain otherwise via normal captures.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1940 - Fornebu

Wunderwaffe classification for 1940:

Infantry:

Azul Infanterie - Old

Tank:

Verdeja 2 - Old
Pazner IIC - Old
Neubaufahrzeug - New

Anti-Tank:

Panzer I Breda - Old

Artillery:

Sturmpanzer I - Old

Fighter:

He 112 - Old

Tactical Bomber:

Il-2 Shturmovik - Old

Other Special Units (non-WW):

Char 1C - New
20/70 quadruplo - New
Armored Train - Old

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 25104

Hero:

Ah, a hero I had not the chance to use in my earlier AARs, but quite effective. Since PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ is already focusing on anti-infantry role, I'll give the hero a try there.

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IVD - 15

Almost interesting - I was running out of these, but at the same time they will shortly be available normally.

New Units Commissioned:

Fallschirmjäger Reg 4 - Fallschirmjäger

Infantry:

Tank:

PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIC (WW, OS15) - *** - Butcher, Vigilant, Steamroller, Survivor

Anti-Tank:

Artillery:

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

Tactical Bomber:

Strategic Bomber:

I./KG 1 - Ju 88A - **

Reserve:

PzAbt 7 - Somua S35
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *
III./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *

Auxiliary Force:

None, just regular core used.

Summary:

I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ provides interesting access to an accuracy bonus if it not longer has anything to shoot at, making overruns possible where otherwise they would not be.

I was chasing this Norwegian mountain gun for several turns until it finally got destroyed. Not being able to accept surrenders can be quite annoying at times!

Final Prestige: 26805 (up 1701)

Overall:

III./SG 1 „Feuervogel“ gets Oscarborg fort destroyed efficiently before it can sink the German ship, that the first hidden objective cleared. Then a single paratrooper unit secures the fort location and thus I am able to acquire some rocket artillery as a reward and this time I will be sure to use it. I managed to complete the scenario without auxiliary units since the terrain does not favor a large army anyway. In the Paznermon run I created a real traffic jam with my units trying to go north via land and now having access to paratroopers, I did not really have to travel by sea.

AO 1940 - Undisclosed Location CZ

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 26912

Hero:

I already have a recon unit with Tenacious Defender and I am now tempted to test it on Fallschirmjäger Reg 1.

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IIIH - 20

Great, a solid supply of a newer Pazner III variant is good news as it allows me to use it in France reliably.

New Equipment Provided:

Former Artillerie Abt 6, now Werfer Abt 1 - Wurfrahmen 40 (prototype)

New Units Commissioned:

Fallschirmjäger Reg 5 - Fallschirmjäger

Infantry:

Fallschirmjäger Reg 1 - Fallschirmjäger - Tenacious Defender
Fallschirmjäger Reg 5 - Fallschirmjäger

Fighter:

II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - *

Reserve:

PzAbt 6 „Nidhöggr“ - Panzer IIC (WW, OS15) - *** - Butcher, Vigilant, Steamroller, Survivor
PzAbt 7 - Somua S35
Werfer Abt 1 - Wurfrahmen 40 (prototype) - *
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
I./KG 1 - Ju 88A - **
II./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *
III./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *

Auxiliary Force:

None, just regular core used.

Summary:

Finally a proper deployment for this mission without any land force shenanigans.

Final Prestige: 27012 (up 100)

Overall:

Important scenario to not only train my Fallschirmjäger, but also help fighters catch up to I./JG 1 „Hræsvelgr“ ever so slightly. Thing to note - Poor Maintenance trait really gets in the way of training missions!

AO 1940 - Eben-Emael

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 27842

Hero:

New hero assigned to PzAbt 7 - it's not in use for quite some time still, but it will be flavorful to have this hero on a Char 1C.

Prototypes Awarded:

Do 217E - 15

That's actually an unexpected prototype. Trading some naval attack for better stats elsewhere, I am curious how it will work out.

New Equipement Provided:

PzAbt 5 - Panzer IIIF
AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - Panzerjäger IB
I./ZG 1 - Bf 110D
I./KG 1 - Do 217E (prototype)

Infantry:

Fallschirmjäger Reg 1 - Fallschirmjäger - ** - Tenacious Defender
Fallschirmjäger Reg 2 - Fallschirmjäger - **
Fallschirmjäger Reg 3 - Fallschirmjäger - **
Fallschirmjäger Reg 4 - Fallschirmjäger - *

Tank:

Anti-Tank:

Artillery:

Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“ - Sturmpanzer I (WW, OS15) - *** - Elsa Kloss

Fighter:

Tactical Bomber:

Strategic Bomber:

I./KG 1 - Do 217E (prototype) - **

Armored Train:

Reserve:

Fallschirmjäger Reg 5 - Fallschirmjäger - *
PzAbt 1 - Panzer IVD - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 5 - Panzer IIIF - Unyielding - *
PzAbt 7 - Somua S35 - Fersome Reputation
AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 232 8Rad - ** - Fierce Fighter, Provocator, Tenacious Defender, Survivor
Panzerjäger Abt 2 - Panzerjäger IB - *
FlaK Abt 2 - SdKfz 7/1 - * - Double Support
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - **
I./ZG 1 - Bf 110D - ** - Entrenchment Killer 4x, Aggressive Counterattack
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
II./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *
III./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *

Auxiliary Force:

Fallschirmjäger Reg 101 - Fallschirmjäger
Kradschützen Bataillon 101 - Kradschützen
I./JG 101 - Bf 109E
II./JG 101 - Bf 109E
I./SG 101 - Ju 87B
II./SG 101 - Ju 87B

Summary:

One extra range on Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“ makes a huge difference. While it was fun to out this hero on 21 cm towed artillery, giving this ability to a normally 2 range unit is much more noticeable.

Fallschirmjägers attacked by Belgian units appearing from the back, but fortunately PzAbt 4 „Fáfnir“ already comes to the rescue and my air force is ready to provide support - I'm glad that I decided to invest in some auxiliary planes.

Final Prestige: 29598 (up 1756)

Overall:

This mission is so much easier with Fallschirmjäger... I struggled so hard in the Retrograde run having to bomb the Eben-Emael forts into oblivion, while cutting them off means the problem does not appear in the first place. However, once they land, paratroopers desperately need the air force to provide cover, as the Belgian forces counterattack after just a few turns and encircling paratroopers will get encircled instead (what's worse - in open terrain).
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

AO 1939 - Hannut

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 30600

Hero:

Time to dance! Assigned to Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“, this new artillery officer saves me 8 whole core slots which is absolutely huge. I was hoping to get at least one of these heroes during the run and finally got to see one.

Prototypes Awarded:

Panzer IIIG - 20

Quite a few extra parts for the Panzer IIIG should make it available for use in all French scenarios.

New Units Commissioned:

PzAbt 8 - Neubaufahrzeug - to join during the mission

Infantry:

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (SdKfz 251/1) - *** - No Retaliation, Survivor, Oleh Dir

Tank:

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IVD - ** - Steamroller
PzAbt 5 - Panzer IIIF - Unyielding - *
PzAbt 8 - Neubaufahrzeug - to join during the mission

Recon:

AufkAbt 1 - SdKfz 232 8Rad - ** - Fierce Fighter, Provocator, Tenacious Defender, Survivor

Anti-Tank:

Artillery:

Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“ - Sturmpanzer I (WW, OS15) - *** - Zero Slots, Elsa Kloss

Anti-Aircraft:

Fighter:

II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - **

Tactical Bomber:

II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - *
III./SG 1 „Feuervogel“ - Il-2 Shuturmovik (WW, OS15) - * - Double Move

Strategic Bomber:

Armored Train:

Reserve:

PzAbt 7 - Somua S35 - Fearsome Reputation
II./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *
III./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *

Auxiliary Force:

Summary:

I seriously need to remember to deploy some extra recons for more visibility. I keep talking abut it, but then forget... Here a Belgian infantry unit is trying to sneak up behind my forces towards one of the main objectives. The AI is really quite stubborn like this at times.

Final Prestige: 32617 (up 2017)

Overall:

Hannut battle is one of those missions where again my 15 strength units shine. They might not be as technologically impressive as they were earlier, but still pack a punch and can deal with most vehicles reliably (and dive bombers will soften up anything that would try and offer more resistance). The 8 core slots I saved thanks to the new hero were of great importance as it essentially allowed me to add 2 tank battalions, two anti-aircraft and one anti-tank that I would otherwise not have enough room to deploy at all.

AO 1940 - Sedan

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 33989

Hero:

With default 50% random results Combat Luck is not a bad hero to get, but I think I can do better on my main units, so I assign Steffen to Panzerjäger Abt 3.

Prototypes Awarded:

Do 217E - 20

I will happily accept more planes for I./KG 1 to allow to replace potential losses, but hopefully this will not pop up too often as the prototype of choice.

Infantry:

Infanterie Reg 4 „El Cid“ - Azul Infanterie (WW, OS20) (SdKfz 251/1) - *** - No Retaliation, Survivor, Oleh Dir

Tank:

PzAbt 8 „Jörmungandr“ - Neubaufahrzeug (WW, OS15)

Anti-Tank:

Artillery:

Panzer Artillerie Abt 1 „Thor“ - Sturmpanzer I (WW, OS15) - *** - Zero Slots, Elsa Kloss

Fighter:

Tactical Bomber:

Strategic Bomber:

Armored Train:

Reserve:

PzAbt 1 - Panzer IVD - *** - Steamroller
PzAbt 5 - Panzer IIIF - Unyielding, Steamroller - *
Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (SdKfz 10) - Combat Luck
FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm FlaK 36 (SdKfz 7) - * - Skilled Support
FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm Flakvierling 38 (SdKfz 10) - *
II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - **
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *
III./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *

Auxiliary Force:

Kradschützen Bataillon 101 - Kradschützen
I./JG 101 - Bf 109E
II./JG 101 - Bf 109E

Summary:

Powerful armored group reaches Bouillon and is about to engage the enemy while Panzerzug „Lyngbakr“ provides long range artillery fire, not too effective against a Char B1 unfortunately.

Final Prestige: 35537 (up 1548)

Overall:

Sedan meant my very first encounter with de Gaulle, so far not too important, but gave a chance to test firepower. As expected, even with 15 strength the Verdeja 2 can barely scratch the beast, so the usual ways to deal with it will be required. No issues dealing with other French vehicles, but in upcoming mission there will be more heroes on their end and more overstrengthened units. Same for the British side. The Wunderwaffe run serious tests start to begin now hoping that both of my negative traits will not impact the results too much.

AO 1940 - Battle of Arras

Starting Prestige (after purchases and replacements): 19102

Hero:

Very useful hero, but I do not really have a unit that I would especially like to assign him to. I decide on Fallschirmjäger Reg 2 as paratroopers may yet be useful.

Prototypes Awarded:

Do 217E - 15

OK, these shipments can now stop, I've got a large enough supply...

Infantry:

Tank:

PzAbt 5 - Panzer IIIF - Unyielding, Steamroller - *
PzAbt 8 „Jörmungandr“ - Neubaufahrzeug (WW, OS15)

Recon:

Anti-Tank:

Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ - Panzer I Breda (WW, OS15) - ** - Camouflage, First Strike, Overrun, Skilled Support

Artillery:

Anti-Aircraft:

FlaK Abt 3 - 2 cm Flakvierling 38 (SdKfz 10) - *

Fighter:

II./JG 1 - Bf 109E - **

Tactical Bomber:

Strategic Bomber:

Armored Train:

Reserve:

Grenadier Reg 1 - Grenadier (Opel Blitz) - ** - First Aid
Fallschirmjäger Reg 2 - Fallschirmjäger - ** - Combat Luck
PzAbt 1 - Panzer IVD - *** - Steamroller
Panzerjäger Abt 3 - 3.7 cm PaK 36 (SdKfz 10) - Combat Luck
FlaK Abt 1 - 8.8 cm FlaK 36 (SdKfz 7) - * - Skilled Support
II./SG 1 - Ju 87B - **
II./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *
III./KG 1 - Ju 88A - *

Auxiliary Force:

None, only core army deployed.

Summary:

Two AT gun units actually survive, that a rare sight!

I might not be using 8.8 cm guns in this mission, but 7th Panzer Division does and uses them in a historically accurate way.

I would like to file a complaint with High Command. Sturmpanzer I self-propelled artillery should be unique to my own force unless it has been produced behind my back.

Final Prestige: 22159 (up 3057)

Overall:

British forces faced my army valiantly, but could not coordinate well enough to pose a threat. A shout out to my prototype tanks, who might not be as beefed up as the Wunderwaffe units, but the impressive stats on them that make them ahead of the current allied equipment make things much easier. Surprisingly, Panzerjäger Abt 1 „Ferniswolf“ remains relevant. It only gets 2-3 strength of attacking units destroyed on defense, but thanks to Camouflage it really helps in setting up silly ambushes that the AI would otherwise not have fallen for.
Stormchaser

Post by Stormchaser »

Ah yes, Zero Slots (and Reduced Slots to a lesser extant), Overstrengths best friend.
Now you just need a Consolidator Hero and Thor can really bring the thunder. (One of these days I need to try Zero Slots+Consolidator+Double Attack/Rapid Fire X/Crippling Blow/etc on something :).)

Also, as much as I love playing with Prototypes sometimes, it would be nice if you got slightly more control over what types you had (maybe some sort of equipment type priority/preference?).
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Stormchaser wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:12 am Ah yes, Zero Slots (and Reduced Slots to a lesser extant), Overstrengths best friend.
Now you just need a Consolidator Hero and Thor can really bring the thunder. (One of these days I need to try Zero Slots+Consolidator+Double Attack/Rapid Fire X/Crippling Blow/etc on something :).)
These combinations really add up and while it sometimes makes this run easier when it comes to pure combat, I enjoy the refreshing feeling of dealing massive damage. Perfect for a change of pace after more restrictive runs and perhaps a motivation to do an ultra restricted Generalissimus attempt. :D
Stormchaser wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:12 am Also, as much as I love playing with Prototypes sometimes, it would be nice if you got slightly more control over what types you had (maybe some sort of equipment type priority/preference?).
Perhaps is the stock of spare parts reaches 30 the game could stop giving the same prototypes again? Exact number for the cutoff can be a matter of discussion, but even in AO conditions some prototypes do not suffer to many casualties (strategic bombers and AA/artillery especially), so the need for more in their case is lower. At the same more tanks, recons or fighters are more likely to run out early. Another option would be to be given a choice of two exclusive ones, or a prototype acquisition checkbox, but these would be harder both to code and to balance - if the player could choose plane types or artillery it would impact the "Denied X" traits.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 AARs”