Faction modding in core or AO campaigns

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Faction modding in core or AO campaigns

Post by Tassadar »

I've been really curious to one day try out the whole AO campaign with only minor Axis powers - of course once it is finished and hopefully their unit roster grows by a good amount. Of course I could run just the German produced and captured units, but even more interesting would be to somehow tweak the campaign settings to replace the default German faction (and Legion Condor in SCW) with multiple others - Italians, Hungarians, Romanians, Finns etc. I'm curious from someone who did some more digging in campaign/scenario settings is that even remotely feasible? I guess replacing one faction with another would not be entirely out of the question, but I'm not sure if having a multi-national core is even possible to support with current settings.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Faction modding in core or AO campaigns

Post by Tassadar »

So, I've managed to beat the first hurdle to achieve my goal. Changes to the faction can be made on a scenario level and I can even set up a side by adding more factions. Edits to the campaign.json file allowed me to get multiple nations enabled as a core and they get equipment bought under their own respective faction colors.

More testing is of course required:

1. If the core will import correctly between missions?
2. If the core will import correctly between campaigns?
3. What heroes, if any, would be granted?

But this really has the potential to run the AO campaign from an entirely different perspective. The Romanians could have their revenge for Stalingrad!
Attachments
Test.jpg
Test.jpg (384.39 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
VirgilInTheSKY
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by VirgilInTheSKY »

I think I have tried something like this before with the No AI mod since it actually adds the Nationalists to player's faction, and the result is: Yes and no.

Game does remember that you have purchased those infantry as Nationalist Spain, and raise the Nationalist flag when they capture a location, but it seems to revert anything non-infantry (possibly) to Condor Legion control.
I have bought a T-26 from Nationalist panel, which displayed the Nationalist camouflage in Ebro, but then turned back to Condor Legion camouflage in the next one. Didn't remember whether it still raise the Nationalist flag or not when capture locations after that, and didn't purchase any other non-infantry unit from Nationalist panel after it in that run, so maybe my conclusion is not correct.

When you import the SCW core to AO 39, Spanish infantry units are kept as they are, so there should be no problem at keeping minor faction units. But same as I mentioned above, I'm not sure if their faction is also remembered, if the camouflage can be reverted back.
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Tassadar »

Thanks for the suggestions and insight! Camouflage, flags and faction identity work between scenarios if scenario setting are updated accordingly, just tested that as on the screens below.

Only thing so far that does not happen as expected is getting heroes. With cheat NewHero they generate properly for any of the factions in the side, but they do not appear in the next scenario - probably this is coded elsewhere. Not a big deal wince it can be rolled via the console, probably faster than editing data.

In any case, this is something that I ultimately hope to try out one day once the base AO finishes - partially because there' a lot of AARs I'm doing now anyway and partially because I hope those minor factions get an expended unit roster with future DLC, making them much more interesting to use. Alternatively I might use a unit mode by that point to address the availability periods and some details in units that can be used to make some factions more viable. For now, just knowing that it's possible makes for a very interesting prospect on revising the campaign one day on Generalissimus, facing T-34's with M14/41 and R2 tanks and Spitfires with IAR 80's. :)
Attachments
Test_2.jpg
Test_2.jpg (660.91 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
alula1234
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by alula1234 »

hi, can you explain me how i can change the campaign.json? you i've tried to change the "Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\Panzer Corps 2\PanzerCorps2\Content\Campaigns\AO0Spain" campaign.json from "factions" : ["CL"], to "factions" : ["IT"], but it wont work
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

alula1234 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:24 pm hi, can you explain me how i can change the campaign.json? you i've tried to change the "Z:\Steam\steamapps\common\Panzer Corps 2\PanzerCorps2\Content\Campaigns\AO0Spain" campaign.json from "factions" : ["CL"], to "factions" : ["IT"], but it wont work
the campaign.json only determins the factions of the player that can become core units.
In addition u need to open evry scenario with the editor and add the faction to that players shop under Edit->Scenarioaparms->players.

sers,
Thomas
alula1234

Post by alula1234 »

ok thanks a lot!!, and now? i need to rewrite the scenario with import or save? i've saved it but when i start the campaign it don't start my version
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

alula1234 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:00 pm ok thanks a lot!!, and now? i need to rewrite the scenario with import or save? i've saved it but when i start the campaign it don't start my version
u open the scenario with the editor, change the player settings, in ur case change condor legion for italy, save it and then play.

sers,
Thomas
alula1234

Post by alula1234 »

i'm doing it, changing the player faction to italian, deleting unit and adding italian unit instead, save and overwrite the file, and export and overwrite the .map file, but when i start the campaign in the game it start the normal instead of my changed variant
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

alula1234 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:39 pm ...deleting unit and adding italian unit instead...
...save and overwrite the file, and export and overwrite the .map file...
i have no idea what ur doing there, u sure u are using the PC2 editor?
when i´m back home i´ll do some screenshots, maybe that will help.

sers,
Thomas
alula1234

Post by alula1234 »

uhm yes, i'm sure 100% using the Panzercorps 2 editor, do you have discord? i can sent you some screen of what i'm doing
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Grondel »

alula1234 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:46 pm uhm yes, i'm sure 100% using the Panzercorps 2 editor, do you have discord? i can sent you some screen of what i'm doing
Grondel#1976

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”