Scenario: Battle for Cholm

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

NETSCAPE
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Scenario: Battle for Cholm

Post by NETSCAPE » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:44 am

The topic discussion continues at: viewtopic.php?p=851319#p851319

Player: Germany
Posture: Defensive
Theme: Historical
Turns: 55
Unit Slots: 50
Difficulty: Hard (need feedback from you)

The inspiration for this scenario comes from Jason D. Marks book "BESIEGED: The Epic Battle for Cholm". I took the time to make notes of what units attacked on what days and from what direction. In-game this can be +/- 1 day due to weather factors affecting unit movement. If you're unfamiliar with the battle here is the back of Jason's book:

"Kampfgruppe Scherer's outstanding feat of arms was one of Germany s most famous military achievements during the Second World War. With only a few thousand men from all branches of the service, including mountain troopers, elderly reservists, police officers, navy drivers, SS partisan hunters and supply troops, Generalmajor Theodor Scherer was ordered to hold Cholm in the face of a superior enemy force. That Scherer and his men prevailed is now an historical fact but analysis of daily radio traffic and combat reports reveals that the pocket s survival was precarious; at times, even senior commanders doubted if it could be saved. On several occasions the Soviet onslaught looked poised to inflict the death blow but somehow the exhausted men of Cholm grimly clung to a few resistance nests upon which a new line was anchored. General Scherer, a popular leader and inspiration to all his soldiers, despaired many times and was forced to continually plead for more men, more supplies and more aerial support. Urgent demands by other sectors meant Kampfgruppe Scherer was drip-fed just enough supplies and reinforcements to stay alive until, eventually, a relief force forged a permanent link and freed the exhausted survivors.
After a catastrophic winter of setbacks and resounding defeats for the Wehrmacht, the General and his men were lauded as heroes and recognised with an arm shield that marked them as Cholmkämpfer, men of exceptional courage who had prevailed despite overwhelming odds."

DOWNLOAD:
NETSCAPES - Battle for Cholm.rar
(20.52 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Installation:
Put the Scenario files in \Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps 2\Scenarios --- if you already have a Scenario folder, simply put the two map files in the folder
Put the "TypesList.csv" file in \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Panzer Corps 2\PanzerCorps2\Content\Data --- replace the file when prompted
Last edited by NETSCAPE on Wed May 13, 2020 3:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

NETSCAPE

Re: Scenario: Battle for Cholm

Post by NETSCAPE » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:01 am

Here are some notes on design and historical accuracy.

You will notice the airfields have water around them. This is to guarantee the airfields don't get overran. In this scenario they would have been very far away relative to the map size. I wanted to simulate air support because it was critical to Kampfgruppe Scherer, but I didn't want the AI steamrolling your airfield which would be unrealistic in this battle. The scale of Cholm in my map is quite large by PC2 standards but I felt it was needed to be sure to squeeze the essential objectives in. I made 3 version of the map before I settled on this one.

The scenario features a couple Valentine lend/lease tanks when they should in fact be Mk II Matildas which unfortunately aren't available in-game for the Soviets.

The Ju 52s flying back and forth don't actually drop supplies. They are merely there for aesthetics.
Last edited by NETSCAPE on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:26 am

NETSCAPE wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:01 am
The scenario features a couple Valentine lend/lease tanks when they should in fact be Mk II Matildas which unfortunately aren't available in-game for the Soviets.
If it is used by the AI, place British Matilda, select it on the map, go to Configure Units, change Faction to USSR. In order to access British units in the Editor it has to be listed among AI player factions, when you used what you need you remove it from the listed factions.

NETSCAPE

Post by NETSCAPE » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:41 am

uran21 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:26 am
NETSCAPE wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:01 am
If it is used by the AI, place British Matilda, select it on the map, go to Configure Units, change Faction to USSR. In order to access British units in the Editor it has to be listed among AI player factions, when you used what you need you remove it from the listed factions.
Rodger that. Will do on the next version.

SineMora
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SineMora » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:14 am

I was about to say I could've sworn the Soviets had Matilda IIs at Kharkov '42 for me.

Hah, I knew I had something like this in my AAR. "German" T-50 vs. "Soviet" Matilda II. And they tell us globalisation is a recent thing.
Mildly pretentious Swede. Goes by Path on most platforms, including Steam.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=596&t=98034 -- Generalissimus AAR (no Trophies / Heroes)

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”