Spartan & Gates of Troy Problem on Windows 10

PC/MAC : Turn based Empire building in the ancient Greek World.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

yogafb
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Spartan & Gates of Troy Problem on Windows 10

Post by yogafb »

I have a problem with the game which I can't seem to fix.
The game runs fine at first until about 15 or so mintues in when it starts to slow down, the mouse starts to stutter and clicks don't register until they're pressed multiple times. This usually happens in towns, but the longer I play the more it starts to happen in the campaign map too. Battles never seem to slow down as far as I can tell. I have the vista hotfix which doesn't change anything. I've tried all sorts of compatibility options, I've tried windowed mode and full screen, disabled scaling, detached second monitor, disabling nvidia options, and limiting the framerate, nothing seems to work.
This has only happened to me on Windows 10 as on Windows 7 computers I've tested on it works fine, it seems to work fine using Virtual Machine of windows 7 as well but that has different worse problems.
I really want to be able to sink in many more hours into this game but restarting it constantly puts me off.
I know it's an old game so if anyone is on this part of the forum I hope they can help, or that the game gets a working steam release like Legion since that game and Chariots of war work well.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spartan & Gates of Troy Problem on Windows 10

Post by pipfromslitherine »

That is certainly odd - we've not heard of anything like that up to now. The game should work pretty much fine in W10, as it doesn't use any legacy interfaces. I guess it could be a driver issue - one thing you could try is disabling sound (I think you would add NOSOUND 1 to the user.txt file).

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
MavelDraconia

Post by MavelDraconia »

The same occurs on my end. Considering that I have a rather smooth running Mid-End PC.

After a time, the game starts slowing down, mostly when moving around inside the cities, clicking several times until the game registers it.
BlacKHeaDSg1

Post by BlacKHeaDSg1 »

Same for me. It starts to lag quite a lot on Windows 10 (modern machine), especially in city management and there is some lag in world map. Main menu or diplomacy tabs work fine. NOSOUND 1 "fix" didn't helped much with lag.

Edit: I also tried to run the game with dgvoodoo but i have a problem with text not showing up.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I will make a note to see if I can find some time to try and repeat this strange issue.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Fubar_the_Magnificent

Post by Fubar_the_Magnificent »

Is there a chance the Chariots of War and Spartan will be updated and added on GOG or Steam?

They were great and fun strategy games. The recent issues with the lag is really annoying.

Return to “Spartan & Gates of Troy”