Tournament PBEM Misfunctioning?

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Crestone
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Tournament PBEM Misfunctioning?

Post by Crestone »

Hello All -

I haven't gotten a turn back in several days after making my first turn. I notice that about half the field is also at 0-0 at this point. Is that a normal showing? :?: :?:

I'm a little bummed, as the first scenario looks like fun and wanted to get into it. If it were just my game and a handful of others that seem non-starters, I wouldn't have thought too much of it, but with the high percentage of apparent non-starters, it seems a little peculiar.

Good luck to all the sloggers in the jungle! :wink:
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Tournament PBEM Misfunctioning?

Post by Shards »

Hi,

It's not uncommon for first games in tournaments to get off to a bit of a sluggish start, which is why we extended the gameweek length to 14 days for this tournament.

I'm going to try and find a way to give all our player a little nudge/reminder next week
Crestone
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Crestone »

Thank you Shards for your reply. I'll continue waiting in the hope my "enemy" wakes up. If the situation persists throughout this round, then I assume from what I've read in the forum that a default score of 150 is given to the player who made the most recent move. Is that correct?

Good luck to all those who are in action!
Toxic_Rat
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Toxic_Rat »

If we have an opponent that goes MIA, do we need to do something, or is the player booted automatically?
rth
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by rth »

Hallo
im Turnier "Order of B...." habe ich vor circa 10 Minuten meinen Zug abgeschlossen,.
Erhielt die Meldung "Zug wird hochgeladen" nach einer Weile eine neue Meldung " PBEM ERROR Verbindungsfehler" und nichts ging mehr.

Ich habe ein schließen der Registerkarte erzwungen. Versucht das Spiel neu zu laden, kam nicht rein, dann versucht ins Forum zu kommen, ging auch nicht.
Dann auf die eMail die verschickt wird wenn der Gegner einen Zug macht geantwortet.

Und jetzt hier versucht wieder ins Forum zu kommen, was jetzt funktioniert hat.

Ich habe auf der Karte ein goldenes Fähnchen verloren, ist diese Karte deswegen für mich schon beendet ?

Und die Probleme weil es so unsäglich schnell ging und ich mich zu dumm angestellt habe.

Was soll ich machen ?

Ich will nicht, das es heißt ich habe versucht zu betrügen und will einen neuen Spielstand hoch laden !!!
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi,

The sale just started on our website, it's had an impact on all our servers, meaning that all our services are a bit slow right now. It should pick up soon.

Also, both your turns seem to have arrived in good condition
Crestone
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Crestone »

Yes, I also experienced an issue uploading my turn. I got a "timed out" type message and tried again, several times. Finally, since my current turn was still shown on screen, I tried hitting the "next unit" icon. At that point, my opponent's screen popped up, much to my surprise. I wondered WTF and found I was able to actually move from unit to unit on my opponent's screen! At that point, I became a bit freaked out that I was going to inadvertently screw up our match. I never tried to see if I could move a unit because 1) that would obviously disqualify me, 2) it would be cheating. I was able to exit the game and was very relieved to find sometime later when I went back to look at my matches, that my opponent had apparently made his turn alright and now a new turn was waiting for me. I continued to have issues with PBEM timing out when I was trying to upload a turn. Needless to say, I didn't do any further experimentation. I did notice when I went to the Slitherine site that everything was loading very slowly, and guessed that maybe their servers were just overloaded for some reason. And so it seems that was indeed the case. I was a bit upset when this happened because an apparently similar situation popped up on my very first turn in the first round of the tournament. That game had to be abandoned and my opponent and I each got a default score. It seems that that issue was due to a different tech issue. At least, in this case, it seems all's well that ends well.
Chema_cagi

Post by Chema_cagi »

Not exactly a PBEM misfunction, but in Karjalan playing the soviets I got a Defeat! screen in the end, having the 4 objectives under my control...and one enemy HQ (could it be the cause of the bug?)
(the 2 objectives obscured in the image have one unit in place each)
I have seen that the score was counted correctly, though
Attachments
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (574.59 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Crestone
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Crestone »

To paraphrase Bob Dylan: Ain't no defeat like victory, and victory's no defeat at all. That said, at least your your points were properly counted.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

heh, I'd say that you definitely won that. Perhaps the game just decided that your opponent was the moral victor?

In more seriousness, I'll take a look at it! It'll be a dodgy trigger in the end of game objective ticking.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Whilst I'm there I think I'll take a look at the HQ scoring for this map. 364 points is well above the score I'm comfortable with someone earning!
Crestone
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Crestone »

Well, ironically enough, after my dumb Dylan joke above, exactly the same thing happened to me! I held all 4 objectives and got a Defeat! screen. I'm not savvy enough in the way of scoring to know if this affected my numbers or not.

Also not savvy enough to properly insert screen shots - but these links will show the images.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyb583022ui81 ... M.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xm76xvqffg13 ... M.png?dl=0
Chema_cagi

Post by Chema_cagi »

Shards wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:29 am Perhaps the game just decided that your opponent was the moral victor?
My opponent (Brossi) was, actually, the moral victor. This has been his first tournament and has played swiftly and regularly till the end. Regular, sportive and honourable players are a very welcome addition

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”