Points in tournament game

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

MichaelOlsen
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Points in tournament game

Post by MichaelOlsen »

We are at the 3rd game of the current tournament, my first one, and I really do not understand how the points work.

In the current round this has happened in my game:

Game 1: We have both done deployment and I have taken my first turn.
Game 2: We have both done deployment, nothing else.

So, to be clear, outside deployment there has been only 1 turn, and that was mine.

However, according to the table (https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/scores/706) I have 2 points, my opponent has 4. Huh? He has not even moved.

Can someone explain to me how this works, because I really do not get it. Thanks!
Last edited by MichaelOlsen on Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Points in tournament game

Post by Shards »

You get points for VP held at the start of your turn.

In that game, you have both taken one turn, but by ending your turn you have essentially started your opponent's turn, so their 2VP from the start of turn 2 show up on the leaderboard.

If you have the summary screen open when you end your turn and/or when you start the replay of your opponent's turn, you can see the points being added
MichaelOlsen

Post by MichaelOlsen »

Thanks, that makes sense. I think I got confused mainly because one also get points for the deployment turns.
MichaelOlsen

Post by MichaelOlsen »

Actually you are not correct it seems. I checked scores before and after each game and it appears that I get points at the end of my opponent's turn (not at the start of my turn).
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Hi,

For all intents and purposes, the end of the your opponent's turn is the same as the start as your turn :)

When you upload a turn, the game is actually in the pre-turn section of the other player's turn (so that things like supply and fuel can be calculated as part of the turn replay), which is why you see the points increase on the leaderboard.
ZhugeLiangOne
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by ZhugeLiangOne »

Hello -- Has anyone else noticed something odd about the Overall Score tally in the current Allies Tournament?

My score seems to have slowly decreased over the last 3 or 4 turns, despite my steadily capturing objectives and destroying enemy units.
MichaelOlsen

Post by MichaelOlsen »

Shards wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:30 pm Hi,

For all intents and purposes, the end of the your opponent's turn is the same as the start as your turn :)

When you upload a turn, the game is actually in the pre-turn section of the other player's turn (so that things like supply and fuel can be calculated as part of the turn replay), which is why you see the points increase on the leaderboard.
Not it is not the same for all intents and purposes when I am trying to figure out how scoring works. If I only get the points at the start of my turn I would not be able to see them on the scoreboard before starting the turn (except that, as you say, my turn starts earlier, but that was impossible to guess).
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

ZhugeLiangOne wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:03 am Hello -- Has anyone else noticed something odd about the Overall Score tally in the current Allies Tournament?

My score seems to have slowly decreased over the last 3 or 4 turns, despite my steadily capturing objectives and destroying enemy units.
That is certainly unexpected....
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

ZhugeLiangOne wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:03 am Hello -- Has anyone else noticed something odd about the Overall Score tally in the current Allies Tournament?

I think that you are correct... Taking a look at the file, I can see where there might an issue where your capturing of the enemy HQ on the last turn has reduced rather than increased your points!

Thanks for reporting this!!! I'll get the designer to fix the file up for the next patch...
ZhugeLiangOne

Post by ZhugeLiangOne »

Thanks for looking into the scoring!

The scoring strangeness isn't limited to the last turn, but started around turn 14 or 15.
Each turn since then, despite my destroying enemy units and holding/capturing objectives, my score seemed to slowly decrease...
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Okay, thanks. I was only able to download and look at your last turn, I'll get the team to check from that turn as well.
Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Celeborn »

Argh this is just what happened to me on the final turn of Round 3 after I captured an HQ. So much for my prize $, endorsement deals, entourage etc. :-)
Shards wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:24 pm

I think that you are correct... Taking a look at the file, I can see where there might an issue where your capturing of the enemy HQ on the last turn has reduced rather than increased your points!

Thanks for reporting this!!! I'll get the designer to fix the file up for the next patch...
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Celeborn wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:36 pm Argh this is just what happened to me on the final turn of Round 3 after I captured an HQ. So much for my prize $, endorsement deals, entourage etc. :-)
Shards wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:24 pm

FWIW, from looking at the results of the table-toppers, it looks like everyone has had a bit of this bug bite them on the backside...

Once we're finished, I think I can see a situation where I'm going to award a share of the podium positions to those who are very close in score (I can't think of a way to nicely go in and figure out exactly who should have got what scores!)
SagsGames77
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SagsGames77 »

Yes, looked strange to me, ended up with only 130 points on the last round despite dominating both battles, destroying all enemy units and capturing all 4 bases.

On the other hand I "top scored" in Round 2 with 150 points without a shot being fired because my opponent failed to turn up. The highest score of any player who actually played that round was only 145, which seems a little mean!

Five players scored more than 200 in Round One so some scenarios clearly offer a lot more points than others. Might be an idea to have the lower scoring scenarios towards the beginning of the tournament as so many players aren't able to play the first round due to "ghosts".
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

SagsGames77 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:24 pm Yes, looked strange to me, ended up with only 130 points on the last round despite dominating both battles, destroying all enemy units and capturing all 4 bases.

On the other hand I "top scored" in Round 2 with 150 points without a shot being fired because my opponent failed to turn up. The highest score of any player who actually played that round was only 145, which seems a little mean!

Five players scored more than 200 in Round One so some scenarios clearly offer a lot more points than others. Might be an idea to have the lower scoring scenarios towards the beginning of the tournament as so many players aren't able to play the first round due to "ghosts".
This was the first time that GIs vs Bers and Muddy have been played in anger (Round 2 and Round 3) , so there's definitely some learnings there as to which maps should and shouldn't be played together and at which point!

I've tried to set up the new tournament with your last point in mind. Crescent Bay is the hardest for a mismatch to result in an utter obliteration and Peninsula Invasion is last as I think it'll give the best games between two high scoring players (and is the most likely to result in a blow-out, which is best as the last map)

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”