Winter 2021/2022 Tournament!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Winter 2021/2022 Tournament!

Post by Shards »

Hi!

We've opened sign ups for the next Order of Battle tournament!

https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments

It starts on the 9th December at 1200 UTC

3 Rounds, 15 days per game round.

Scenarios:

Crescent Bay
Japanese and American forces clash with Land, Naval and Air forces around a fictitious natural harbour area

Wake Island Assault
The famous invasion of Wake Island by Japanese Marine forces. Can the outnumbered American forces throw them back into the Pacific?

Peninsula Invasion
British forces defend a vital rail link from Japanese forces in a fictional precursor to the Burma Invasion

Look forward to seeing you in battle!
Pekkavilamoura
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Join the Winter 2021/2022 Tournament!

Post by Pekkavilamoura »

Great job guys. No big announcements needed, keep less high profile until the tournament starts so you only get players who really have interest in playing!
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

I think the number of days in a tournament should in general match the number of turns in a scenario.
For instance, 14 days to play 18 turns (in 'muddy') is too short imo.
A turn a day keeps the blues away :wink:
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

This tournament is 15 days and all the scens are 15 rounds :)
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I knew you would listen to me 8)
blondus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by blondus »

I'm happy, imo crescent Bay is the best scenario by far
Cenobyte
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Cenobyte »

Count me in :D
Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Celeborn »

I really love the Wake Island scenario as I think it favors historical accuracy over play balance. Normally this would be a problem barring a bid system, but since in tournaments you play both sides balance isn't a concern. I would love to see more tournament scenarios that emphasize historical accuracy over balance. They might even come with a caveat in the introduction for those who just want to give them a try outside a tournament a la "This scenario was designed to emphasize historical accuracy over play balance. Players are urged to play both sides and use their combined score to determine victory."
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Winter 2021/2022 Tournament!

Post by Shards »

And we're off! Good luck all!
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

There's something odd about signing in. In all previous tournaments I had to sign in twice, the first time would never take.
This time my name is not on the list...? I was probably among the 2-3 first to (try to) sign in.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Argh!

Is that about signing in to the site, or signing up to the tournament on the site?
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Signing up to the tournament. No problems with the site itself.
And I had a perfect tournie attendance record :(
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Erik2 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:49 am Signing up to the tournament. No problems with the site itself.
And I had a perfect tournie attendance record :(
I can only think there's some weirdness when the tournament first publishes where the website is super slow and doesn't record the application properly?!
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

That's what you get for being an early adopter.
But it looks like my user is the only one affected, you guys would probably had complaints about this if other players had issues.
I remember I had to change my user name from Erik to Erik2 when the Matrix/Slitherine boards were 'joined'. The process wouldn't allow me to keep my user.
Anyway, I'll try again next time. Good luck with the tournament!
martD
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Winter 2021/2022 Tournament! time outs, text notifct

Post by martD »

Are there criteria for the moderators to “time out” a player? This is my 1st tourny in this system so I’m unclear on the process is as my opponent has yet to start the game after 4 days … The constant re-checking is a PITA and I don’t want to get penalized for game delay.
For those of us who don’t link email to our phones (security issues): is there a way to send a text to a cell (& your email) when it is your turn? Thanks!
Celeborn

Re: Winter 2021/2022 Tournament! time outs, text notifct

Post by Celeborn »

If iPhone open the Mail app and click on the circled i on the VIP line. Add a VIP for noreply@slitherine.com, then select VIP alerts and set whatever alerts you want. I have to be careful about sound alerts lest my European adversaries awaken me at 4AM :-)
martD wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:06 pm Are there criteria for the moderators to “time out” a player? This is my 1st tourny in this system so I’m unclear on the process is as my opponent has yet to start the game after 4 days … The constant re-checking is a PITA and I don’t want to get penalized for game delay.
For those of us who don’t link email to our phones (security issues): is there a way to send a text to a cell (& your email) when it is your turn? Thanks!
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

If a player doesn't play a turn in any round then they will be removed from the tournament and their opponent awarded the full "bye" score.

If a game doesn't finished within the time allotted for the round then the system will check which player spent the most time holding onto the turn and adjust the final scores to move some of their points to their opponent who was left waiting.
LN59
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by LN59 »

:?: Frankly, I don't understand much.
Two weeks ago, I deployed my units to the game I was supposed to play in first. Since nothing ...
I'm considered as a "ghost player" with a score of 0 * / 0 * and the rank of 70th tied, at the same level as my really inactive opponent.
Worse: two players that I had the pleasure to face in the Allied Tournament also seem stuck (arttu777 & huntdaw) ...
Just want to throw in the towel. :(
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

You have my sympathies! Real life reason do seem to stop some players being able to play, but we are looking at ways that we can reduce this first round bump for people who are ready willing and able, but have drawn someone who can't be available.

FWIW, you'll not miss out on the points for the round, but I appreciate that it's the fun of the game that most of us are here for!
Jep_Jorgensson

Post by Jep_Jorgensson »

Hey guys, sorry to bother you with a dumb statement, but this is my first tournament and I have no idea what I am doing. I looked in the "My Matches" and "My Challenges" folders for my tournament matches but they are both empty. What am I doing wrong?

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”