Auto deploy generals in mixed armies

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

VenG
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Auto deploy generals in mixed armies

Post by VenG »

First I'm sorry if this is discussed before, but there is strange deployment of generals in mixed cavalry/infantry armies. Sometimes the game put the C-in-C in strange units like crossbowmen or archers, instead of one of the mounted knights for example. And the sub-general with the large command radius often never deploy. No matter how I position my army in the deploy mode. I know you can switch generals, but my suggestion is:

1. The C-in-C should be always in one of the strongest cavalry units in mixed armies, no matter of their deployment.
2. The sub-general with the large command radius should be in one of the strongest infantry units, again no matter of the deployment. I usually need this general to command the infantry in mixed army, but often he never deploy.

Then you can customize, it will be much more convenient.
Thanks!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Auto deploy generals in mixed armies

Post by rbodleyscott »

How it currently works is this:

If there is an infantry centre, they get a general with the larger command radius. If there is a mounted centre, the C-in-C goes in that, and the infantry get a sub-general, otherwise the C-in-C goes with the infantry. If there is a mounted left wing, it gets a low-range SG, if there is a mounted right wing, it gets a low-range sub general.

If any of these are missing, you get extra low-range SGs to make up the total to 4 if the army is >800 points, otherwise 3.

C-in-Cs and SGs assigned by the autodeploy routine to command the infantry centre get the large command radius, all others get the smaller command radius.

So if you really want a SG with the larger command radius (which is pretty moot other than for the infantry), put at least one mounted unit in the centre, usually in reserve, so that the C-in-C gets assigned to that instead of the infantry.

The general goes in the best unit in the command, so he will only get put in a crossbowmen or archer unit if there isn't a more expensive unit to put him in.
Richard Bodley Scott

tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

I always arrange my initial deployment with an infantry center and cavalry on the wings and rear. Then move them around after the generals have been auto assigned.
Usually this set up generates an SG with large range but not always. Perhaps I am not doing it right, I don't know. It is disappointing when you don't get a long range SG.

My suggestion is that the routine would always assign one long range SG (unless there are certain mixes of armies that would never have one). That would save on the time of setting up a phantom deployment to try and increase the chances of getting one. It doesn't make sense to me that the chances of getting a long range SG are dependent to some extent on the initial deployment when the player is not held to that anyway.
VenG
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by VenG »

Thanks for explaining!

I understand, but I prefer many times unusual deployment with all cavalry concentrated on one flank for one push and the other with the infantry. And I have first to put the infantry in the center, to receive better deployment of the generals and then rearrange the whole army again, kind of frustrating, especially with very large army.
And even with "proper" deployment of the army, often the long range general is missing and the C-in-C is in some strange unit :)

Just suggesting :wink:

Regards!
VenG
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by VenG »

Example:

I arranged my line accordingly with two units of knights in reserve, in the center, and the game still puts the C-in-C in that infantry unit. And the long radius sub-general is missing.
Screen_00000000.jpg
Screen_00000000.jpg (532.08 KiB) Viewed 966 times
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

That is working as intended, it is just thrown out by the unusual deployment.

As the army is deployed in your example, those two units are in reserve, but I am guessing that the game has assigned them to team 2 (left wing cavalry) rather than team 4, because they are still at the left-hand end of the infantry. Assignment to Team 2 (left wing cavalry), Team 3 (right wing cavalry) and Team 4 (centre/reserve cavalry), is defined relative to the position of the infantry. Mounted units in the 4 columns either side of the centre of infantry (not the whole army) get assigned to Team 4. The C-in-C will get added to Team 4 if it exists, and then the infantry will get a long range SG.

In the case of the above deployment, all of the cavalry will have been assigned to Team 2.

If you had deployed those reserve units 4 squares to the right, they would have been assigned to team 4, and you would have got your wish.

Yes, it is a bit arcane, but I think you are really attaching too much importance to the acquisition of a long range sub-general. Most of the troops in medieval armies aren't manoeuvrable anyway, so being out of range of the general actually makes no difference to them.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”