Percentage loss

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

HobbesACW
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Percentage loss

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi folks, something I have never been sure of. If I lose a light horse unit how does that affect my percentage loss as opposed to say losing a Roman legionary unit. How is the loss percentage affected?
Is the loss percentage decide per unit, manpower or effectivness of the unit - or a mixture?

Thanks,
Chris
P.S. I realise this is the wrong forum for ancients but this would be the same question for both games.
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Percentage loss

Post by edb1815 »

HobbesACW wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:34 pm Hi folks, something I have never been sure of. If I lose a light horse unit how does that affect my percentage loss as opposed to say losing a Roman legionary unit. How is the loss percentage affected?
Is the loss percentage decide per unit, manpower or effectivness of the unit - or a mixture?

Thanks,
Chris
P.S. I realise this is the wrong forum for ancients but this would be the same question for both games.
Just off the top of my head I believe it is based on the unit size, or manpower. The effectiveness is factored in with the unit cost.
Ray552
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Ray552 »

For calculating the rout% value of a unit, see RBS's post (the 7th) in this linked thread from FOG2 Ancient:

"Calculating the value of a unit for Rout % when adding mobs to your force selection"
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Thanks very much Ray. I also had a discussion with my PBEM opponent about how victory point values are calculated in the minitures game. There seem to be differences.
I'm looking forward to trying my new tactic of running away. Especially with light troops who have expended their ammo.
They don't seem worth keeping on the field of battle when they do so little damage but can add so much to the rout % if caught.
Using them wisely is no doubt the better strategy - but as a poor player, or playing against a better player, moving them out of harms way may sometimes be the better option.

Thanks,
Chris
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

I think finding rough ground, woods or marsh can be good for light troops. Keeping them near the action is best most of the time. Also keeping them together is better for maximizing damage. One light unit in the open is in a bad position.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

That is very nice to know. I crunched the numbers quite a while ago and couldn't prove that the percentage lost was based on the manpower or the point cost.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

SLancaster wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:26 pm I think finding rough ground, woods or marsh can be good for light troops. Keeping them near the action is best most of the time. Also keeping them together is better for maximizing damage. One light unit in the open is in a bad position.
Yes I'm starting to try and do this more often now - especially when their ammo is depleted.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”