Winning Trutina as Poles

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Kerait
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Winning Trutina as Poles

Post by Kerait »

This battle seems extremely hard for the Poles to win. How are you supposed to use the cavalry? They get crushed by knights and the Bohemians have too much mass to flank. Focusing on Polish massed archers and placing them in the trees is also complicated by the Bohemians' abundant irregular foot.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Winning Trutina as Poles

Post by Paul59 »

Kerait wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:55 pm This battle seems extremely hard for the Poles to win. How are you supposed to use the cavalry? They get crushed by knights and the Bohemians have too much mass to flank. Focusing on Polish massed archers and placing them in the trees is also complicated by the Bohemians' abundant irregular foot.
Hi Kerait,

Is this SP or MP?

In beta testing we had a comfortable win, and a bad loss reported for the Polish player SP version. For the MP version, a close win for the Bohemians was reported. Playing against knights with light spear cavalry is difficult, but can be done once you work out the right tactics. In my own testing I also got a comfortable win on my first attempt at Prince level, and lost very narrowly when I played it again a few months later. So it is a challenging scenario, but the result can go either way.

If it's any consolation, I have already made a slight change to the Polish player SP version for the next game update which will make it slightly easier.

cheers

Paul
Last edited by Paul59 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Kerait wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:55 pm This battle seems extremely hard for the Poles to win. How are you supposed to use the cavalry? They get crushed by knights and the Bohemians have too much mass to flank. Focusing on Polish massed archers and placing them in the trees is also complicated by the Bohemians' abundant irregular foot.
I have just discovered a video after action report from Ludendorf, of him winning as the Polish on Prince difficulty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MviZ2mz0Pk

He has a short series of Epic battle videos in the After Action Report section of the forum.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Kerait

Post by Kerait »

Paul59 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:51 pm
I have just discovered a video after action report from Ludendorf, of him winning as the Polish on Prince difficulty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MviZ2mz0Pk

He has a short series of Epic battle videos in the After Action Report section of the forum.
Thank you, Paul. I will check out this video and see what strategy he uses.

I've been trying to win the scenario single-player, but ran out of patience on two attempts.

The first time my Polish infantry was crushed by the knights upon leaving the forest. The second time I placed the Polish infantry on the hill behind the forest at the back of the map, but tired of fighting an unwinnable battle to keep the Polish cavalry alive. I was unable to achieve parity of losses either.

In any case, it was the lack of any real idea of how to deploy the Polish forces and the time-consuming nature of the battle that discouraged me.

I played a MP game as the Bohemians, and easily won against the Poles too, despite leaving my flanks more or less exposed to the Polish nobles. They simply lacked the oomph to push through my screening units in time. Meanwhile, on the right flank, the Polish nobles were doomed upon fleeing in the forest, where my medium foot could slowly but surely slaughter them.

Cheers

Kerait

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”