What armies/units are you looking forward to in future DLCs?

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Re: What armies/units are you looking forward to in future DLCs?

Post by Athos1660 »

Interesting
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:58 pm
Cronos09 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:55 am
Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 am But the templars' shield and flags were wrong.
What about these templars' shields?

No,still wrong,they should use their historical pattern shield like this,and also the flags on their lances.

There is nothing wrong with using the red cross on white shields, both shield types are recorded in the pictorial sources.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Gator007
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Gator007 »

Templars, meh, the Knights of St. John of the Hospital are still around. Bosworth must have been the proverbial near run thing. I think you could do a neat campaign with the Catalan company.
bk917
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by bk917 »

Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:03 am
Kerait wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 am
Nicomedes wrote:I'm looking forward to Infantry combat in the late medievals. Especially with Hussites, English Longbow-Units and Handgunners.
I am certainly looking forward to the English longbowmen of their heyday, the men of Crécy and Azincourt. I wonder how they will be changed from the high medieval longbowmen. I suppose they will be more suited to hand-to-hand fighting.

I suspect the English longbows will be able to place stakes to protect themselves from cavalry.
Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Dux Limitis »

Paul59 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:46 pm
Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:58 pm
Cronos09 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:55 am

What about these templars' shields?

No,still wrong,they should use their historical pattern shield like this,and also the flags on their lances.

There is nothing wrong with using the red cross on white shields, both shield types are recorded in the pictorial sources.
In most of sources they mainly use the black&white pattern shields.
selfsearcher

Post by selfsearcher »

I'm looking for something involving fortifications, Crusades (of course) and more classics but please add a feature or two with every DLC, not only different armies.
In Ancients I felt like having nice armies but not a lot of, say barriers or similar stuff.
Concussus surgo.
bk917

Post by bk917 »

@selfsearcher

viewtopic.php?f=623&t=104226
rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:19 am
The main differences come from the different troop types and combinations. Also field fortifications - which aren't used much in the base game, but will be used increasingly in the later part of the period, along with stakes for longbowmen in the second half of the 100 Years War.
Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Cronos09 »

Dux Limitis wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:45 am In most of sources they mainly use the black&white pattern shields.

You can paint your Templar shields as you like using Paint.net eg. I like this pattern.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

Blob mentioned to me that he was looking forward to the White Company!
Attachments
Paolo_Uccello_044.jpg
Paolo_Uccello_044.jpg (403.77 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
VenG
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by VenG »

-Black army of Matthias Corvinus of Hungary;
-Genoese superior crossbowmen;
-Venetian heavy infantry;
-Almogavars (maybe the Catalan company);
-some unique Balkan units for diversity;
-of course the military orders, not only the three most popular, but like knights of Santiago etc. :)
Joch1955

Post by Joch1955 »

still having too much fun with the current version to worry about that, but French and English forces in the Hundred Year's War and the War of the Roses is what I am most looking forward to in the future.
Yeferz01

Post by Yeferz01 »

I can't wait to play the Ottoman army of the fifteenth century. Ever since I read Ismail Kadare's book The Siege it's been one of my favourite historical armies, it's so colourful and has so many specialized units and auxiliaries.
Galdred
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Galdred »

I would love sieges, but they may be hard to represent well. However, they formed a major part of medieval warfare, and they could make for cool mini campaigns (or parts of a campaign), with defenders sallying out, or besiegers trying to fend off reinforcements.
Regarding armies, I too would love the other religious military orders, then English longbowmen and Swiss pikemen.
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Looking forward to more western infantry types myself. Flemish heavy weapons units, as well as the bideaux and maybe also routieres.
Chema_cagi
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Chema_cagi »

Being spaniard myself, I would like to see not only almogávares, but the whole Reconquista, with christian spanish vs. muslim sultanates. And oh yeah, a El Cid campaign, switching sides and allegiances.

But I'm curious too about indian, timurid and other eastern army lists
Hrafnagudh
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Hrafnagudh »

I hope to see the Most Serene Republic of Venice at some point :)
miki
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by miki »

Chema_cagi wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:50 pm Being spaniard myself, I would like to see not only almogávares, but the whole Reconquista, with christian spanish vs. muslim sultanates. And oh yeah, a El Cid campaign, switching sides and allegiances.

And even the spanish and portuguese Military orders https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%93rde ... %C3%B1olas
Saludos
Miki
Sabratha
SPM Contributor
SPM Contributor

Post by Sabratha »

Chema_cagi wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:50 pm Being spaniard myself, I would like to see not only almogávares, but the whole Reconquista, with christian spanish vs. muslim sultanates. And oh yeah, a El Cid campaign, switching sides and allegiances.

Shameless plug then. Check our mod that adds 11th-13th century Eastern armies to the game:
viewtopic.php?f=639&t=104004
Galdred
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Galdred »

Galdred wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:28 pm I would love sieges, but they may be hard to represent well. However, they formed a major part of medieval warfare, and they could make for cool mini campaigns (or parts of a campaign), with defenders sallying out, or besiegers trying to fend off reinforcements.
Regarding armies, I too would love the other religious military orders, then English longbowmen and Swiss pikemen.
Btw, I have just read the rules of Guiscard/The Anarchy wargames, and they have nice siege "mini campaigns":
Each "turn" (week or day, I don't remember), the attacker can bombard, assault or mine, and the defender can try to sally (for supplies, to raid the enemy siege camp), counter mine, or wait.
After a given time, the defender runs out of supply, or can get reinforced depending on the scenario.
I think that could be somewhat realistic, and work well with the engine (except that units may be a bit large for such battles).
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

A little text driven siege mini game maybe with a bit of artwork to show the state of the siege between campaign stages that have fortresses could be kind of neat but might sort of get in the way of the idea to play out a field battle to either relieve the siege or stop the army attempting to do so. It also seems like the sort of thing that would maybe be more suitable for an eventual AGEOD developed Field of Glory: Kingdoms sort of treatment (not that any such game has been confirmed / announced / or hinted at as of this post).

Honestly, more campaign decisions that aren't just fight now or wait for reinforcements might make the campaigns more immersive although they are designed to present a sequence of relatively historical match ups so the way some of the campaigns are designed might not support that sort of thing all that well.

Perhaps, little narrative events maybe more for sandbox custom campaigns (e.g. a chance for supply shortages to weaken the morale of your troops if you chose the continue the siege option a few too many times and don't manage to take the fortress before having to fight the battle for it, a holy man inspires your men, competing personalities on your war council) or post battle unit honors / stats might be kind of neat to see too. These types of things might be more oriented towards future sequel games though. I always liked how in Close Combat your soldiers after the battles have little they fought bravely medals and such (not that ww2 style medals are appropriate for medieval) but especially for the campaigns where you aren't constantly reforming your army it might be kind of nifty to see the progression of your units with some battle and campaign wide stats (see which units caused the enemy the most damage and such).

There probably should be an achievement for getting all your commanders killed or wounded. Although maybe the probability of this is so much smaller than Nemesis (kill the enemy C-n-C) that it would be a hard achievement with a lot of luck involved to get.

If a multiplayer profile system or stats were ever added (I do think it is kind of nice that field of glory doesn't have this but also get its appeal) one might want a little coat of arms generator for it.

In regards to DLC units / armies it will be interesting to see how the Hussites are handled (as there has been some good discussion on that elsewhere). Also very much looking forward to HYW stuff, condottieri armies, and late medieval Swiss. Hopefully, we will see late medieval handgonnes represented in some fashion too. It will be neat to see how the game represents later knights and eventually the growing importance of other troop types (or at least somewhat of a decline in knightly dominance). As it stands now usually, depending on the army of course, there are plenty of ways to slow knights down in the base game assuming they aren't massed and your troops don't disrupt and cave in completely to their initial onslaught.
Image Image

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”