What armies/units are you looking forward to in future DLCs?

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Kerait
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

What armies/units are you looking forward to in future DLCs?

Post by Kerait »

Personally, I am excited to use Almogavars, highly capable Spanish medium foot wielding javelins, swords and spears.

The Aragonese Almogavars were especially famous but Castile also deployed them.

I imagine they will tear through most troops in rough terrain, although they would probably be vulnerable to arrows and on open land. I hope that they won't be lumped into the Irregular Foot umbrella unit.
Nicomedes
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: What armies/units are you looking forward to in future DLCs?

Post by Nicomedes »

I'm looking forward to Infantry combat in the late medievals. Especially with Hussites, English Longbow-Units and Handgunners.
I'm also excited to see "Southern" Units for scenarios in the Levante.

Curious to found out what lies further east. Elephants with Cannons? Timurid-Style?

Also curious what lies further south? Will there be a Ghana Empire list?

And last but not least - Swiss Reisige.
Nerzalar
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Nerzalar »

I can't wait to see what they do with Indians! I really hope they make models for them specifically for the medieval era.

Also impatient for 100 years war and them steel plated heavy knights.
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

I'm personally looking forward to pikes. Be they Swiss, Scottish or... darn, can't think of an S for the Low Countries, there's nothing I like better than confronting some delusional horsefly on his nag with a wall of cold, impervious steel commanded by professional officers that moves in one direction only: forwards.
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

I will meet the upstart Richard Yorke III at Bosworth Field. We will stream it on YouTube to conclude the War of the Roses. That period will be my favourite I think and hopefully well represented!
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Dux Limitis »

Crusader armies for sure.
Kerait

Post by Kerait »

Nicomedes wrote:I'm looking forward to Infantry combat in the late medievals. Especially with Hussites, English Longbow-Units and Handgunners.
I am certainly looking forward to the English longbowmen of their heyday, the men of Crécy and Azincourt. I wonder how they will be changed from the high medieval longbowmen. I suppose they will be more suited to hand-to-hand fighting.
Nerzarlar wrote:I can't wait to see what they do with Indians! I really hope they make models for them specifically for the medieval era.
I know almost nothing about Indian medieval warfare (so far as the eurocentric term 'medieval' even applies to India) so I hope Field of Glory II Medieval will educate me on that topic a bit. Field of Glory II Ancients gave the impression that Indian combat pre-1000 A.D. revolved around little more than masses of archers and elephants. Could well be the truth for all I know. But surely the Subcontinent, massive and diverse as it is, must have more variety than that!

I will venture to guess that in the medieval era, the Indian armies will fall under the increasing influence of Central Asian, Turkic and Muslim warfare. What do you think will it look like, if you have any knowledge on the topic?
Ludendorf wrote:I'm personally looking forward to pikes. Be they Swiss, Scottish or... darn, can't think of an S for the Low Countries, there's nothing I like better than confronting some delusional horsefly on his nag with a wall of cold, impervious steel commanded by professional officers that moves in one direction only: forwards.
"Sea-tamers"? But yes, I agree. When the full power of the Macedonian phalanx is brought to bear in Ancients, that is satisfying. But not as satisfying it as breaking it from the flanks. :twisted:
SLancaster wrote:I will meet the upstart Richard Yorke III at Bosworth Field. We will stream it on YouTube to conclude the War of the Roses. That period will be my favourite I think and hopefully well represented!
Isn't the War of the Roses a great arena for completely symmetrical battles?
Dux Limitis wrote:Crusader armies for sure.
For sure. I want to try my luck and whittling down the powerhouse European knights under Turkish arrow rain, or cleaving Mongol hubris in two with a Mameluke scimitar. The Levant is an exciting place where many different styles of warfare can meet and compete, whether Byzantine, Latin Christian, Turkish or Egyptian. I am particularly looking forward to the more exotic lists such as the Armenian Cilicians and Georgians.

I am interested in how the Khwarezmians will be represented, and how far east the developers will go. Kara-Khitai possible?
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Kerait wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 am
Nicomedes wrote:I'm looking forward to Infantry combat in the late medievals. Especially with Hussites, English Longbow-Units and Handgunners.
I am certainly looking forward to the English longbowmen of their heyday, the men of Crécy and Azincourt. I wonder how they will be changed from the high medieval longbowmen. I suppose they will be more suited to hand-to-hand fighting.
Nerzarlar wrote:I can't wait to see what they do with Indians! I really hope they make models for them specifically for the medieval era.
I know almost nothing about Indian medieval warfare (so far as the eurocentric term 'medieval' even applies to India) so I hope Field of Glory II Medieval will educate me on that topic a bit. Field of Glory II Ancients gave the impression that Indian combat pre-1000 A.D. revolved around little more than masses of archers and elephants. Could well be the truth for all I know. But surely the Subcontinent, massive and diverse as it is, must have more variety than that!

I will venture to guess that in the medieval era, the Indian armies will fall under the increasing influence of Central Asian, Turkic and Muslim warfare. What do you think will it look like, if you have any knowledge on the topic?
Ludendorf wrote:I'm personally looking forward to pikes. Be they Swiss, Scottish or... darn, can't think of an S for the Low Countries, there's nothing I like better than confronting some delusional horsefly on his nag with a wall of cold, impervious steel commanded by professional officers that moves in one direction only: forwards.
"Sea-tamers"? But yes, I agree. When the full power of the Macedonian phalanx is brought to bear in Ancients, that is satisfying. But not as satisfying it as breaking it from the flanks. :twisted:
SLancaster wrote:I will meet the upstart Richard Yorke III at Bosworth Field. We will stream it on YouTube to conclude the War of the Roses. That period will be my favourite I think and hopefully well represented!
Dux Limitis wrote:Crusader armies for sure.
For sure. I want to try my luck and whittling down the powerhouse European knights under Turkish arrow rain, or cleaving Mongol hubris in two with a Mameluke scimitar. The Levant is an exciting place where many different styles of warfare can meet and compete, whether Byzantine, Latin Christian, Turkish or Egyptian. I am particularly looking forward to the more exotic lists such as the Armenian Cilicians and Georgians.

I am interested in how the Khwarezmians will be represented, and how far east the developers will go. Kara-Khitai possible?
Mr.RBS said the game will cover far to the India so I think Kara-Khitai Khanate is totally possiable.
Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Cronos09 »

Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:53 am Crusader armies for sure.
The developers hear you :)

Nerzalar

Post by Nerzalar »

Kerait wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 am I know almost nothing about Indian medieval warfare (so far as the eurocentric term 'medieval' even applies to India) so I hope Field of Glory II Medieval will educate me on that topic a bit. Field of Glory II Ancients gave the impression that Indian combat pre-1000 A.D. revolved around little more than masses of archers and elephants. Could well be the truth for all I know. But surely the Subcontinent, massive and diverse as it is, must have more variety than that!

I have to admit I know next to nothing of medieval/ancient India myself, though that is a big part of why i'm impatient to see what the game could show me about them :)

Even if their armies function similarly to a mix of mongol horse archers and foot archers I do hope that we get unique cultural units/equipement for them specifically made for the medieval era. I love seeing the various visuals for cultures and armies in history and India is sadly rather under-represented in video games when it comes to Ancients/Medieval stuff.
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

Kerait wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 am
Well, if you mean that could be a good thing I would probably agree. In the Digital League and in multiplayer in general I enjoy my battles most when both armies have balanced lists. This is one of the reasons why I think the Classical period is so popular - almost every army has some spearmen, pikes, swordsmen, skirmishers and cavalry. I think you really see the tactics come out as you start to think about outflanking your opponent and focusing on weak points as the lines engage.

In more asymmetrical games where my army has quite a lot of infantry and I am chasing a horse army around the map I find that not so enjoyable. This happened in Late Antiquity with the Parthians and in High Middle Ages I am facing the Mongols with the Germans. The battle just breaks up into isolated units fighting and it doesn't really feel like a grand battle to me.

You do need some unique units though to keep things interesting in battles. If the armies have similar kinds of troops then a unit like the Welsh Spearmen are great to see on the battlefield. Hopefully, we will see more unit diversity in the future DLCs.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Cronos09 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 am
Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:53 am Crusader armies for sure.
The developers hear you :)

Heer gott,did you get into the beta test?But the templars' shield and flags were wrong.
Horde
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Horde »

Kerait wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:45 pm Personally, I am excited to use Almogavars, highly capable Spanish medium foot wielding javelins, swords and spears.

The Aragonese Almogavars were especially famous but Castile also deployed them.

I imagine they will tear through most troops in rough terrain, although they would probably be vulnerable to arrows and on open land. I hope that they won't be lumped into the Irregular Foot umbrella unit.
I´ll like to see the almogavars too, but I don´t know if they should be depicted the same way in all kingdoms and periods. Almogávar, which is Castilian, and related terms in Catalan, Aragonese and Arabic languages, was used to talk about people who made raids in enemy territory. So there were "almogavar" sheppers from the Pyrinees that raided the muslim-occupied valley of the Ebro in the early times in the Reconquista, at least according to an author, and they will be "almogavar" looters in the frontier of Granada many centuries after that. Sometimes almogavars are men with a certain lifestyle, other entire communities of the frontier are labelled like that, others the almogavar are the ones part of a raid, but they could be farmers or shepperds or landowners before that. The kind of fighting they did as almogavars were small raids, not big pitched battles. So if the game models a Castilian army fighting Granada´s Moors in the XIV century, there will be almogavars as light infantry will javelins or crossbows, almogavar light cavalry, some almogavars in the spearmen, almogavars in the ranks of the units of knights and sergeants.

Perhaps the Peninsul armies should have a good branch of light troops, to show the experience of their frontiers communities in raids and small warfare. But I doubt that they should be a special troop, at least in later Castilian armies. Alfonso X, in his famous treaty about law, talks about bringing peones (footmen) in the cavalry raids against the enemy, saying that they should be "always with good spears and javelings, knifes and daggers, and also [the leaders of the raids] they should bring with them footmen that know how to shoot with the crossbow, with their equipment".

"La frontera de España es de naturaleza caliente, y las cosas que nacen en ella son más gruesas y de más fuerte complexión que las de la tierra vieja; y por ella los peones que andan con los adalides y con los almocadenes en hecho de guerra, es menester que sean dispuestos y acostumbrados y criados al aire y a los trabajos de la tierra; y si tales no fuesen no podrían allí mucho tiempo vivir sanos, aunque fuesen ardides y valientes; y por eso los adalides y almocadenes deben mucho mirar que lleven consigo peones en las cabalgadas y en los otros hechos de guerra que estén acostumbrados a hacer estas cosas que antes dijimos, y además que sean ligeros y ardides y bien conformados en sus miembros para poder sufrir el afán de la guerra, y que anden siempre provistos de buenas lanzas y dardos, cuchillos y puñales; y otrosí deben traer consigo peones que separ tirar bien de ballesta, y que traigan los equipos que pertenecen a hecho de ballestería, y estos hombres tales cumplen mucho a hecho de guerra. Y cuando tales fueren, deben los adalides y los almocadenes amarlos mucho y honrarlos de dicho y de hecho, partiendo bien con ellos las ganancias que hicieren, de común acuerdo".

Now, the name almogavar is famous because of the Great Catalan Company and other groups of Catalan and Aragonese warriors that fought an the end of the XIII century and the beginning of the XIV across the Mediterranean. There we have descriptions of them being equipped as light infantry (little armor, javelins, a spear and a cotell, something like a bracamarte) but they did face heavy cavalry head on, by shooting with the javelins at the horses and killing the knights when they were disorganized. In the Catalan Company they had crossbows too, and heavy cavalry, and the seamen of the fleet did fight, and they use looted equipment from the dead and defeated enemies, so they should have been a mess of equipment. They achieved a good string of victories, in Sicily, against the enemies of the Bizantines and against the Bizantines themselves. Even if they were defeated by Constantinople mobs in street fights, they destroyed army after army and were unstopable. At least, if we read their own chronicles; I´m sure that their enemies will have another versions. But, even if there was some exageration by Spanish pop-historiography, they were very succesful.

So I´m with you, the almogavars of the Catalan Company deserve something more than being generic Irregular Foot (and light infantry). I suppose that they will be Impact Foot-swordsmen, and I expect that the veterans will be superior, and the other units Above Average. They should have tons and tons of elan. So, something like the Romans or Samnites, because I expect that they will be medium foot to be capable of fighting in rought terrain. But perhaps they will be offensive spears, because I think that in the game offensive spears will be better when charging at knightly lancers. An alternative take would be giving them javelin or 50% crossbowmen capability, to prevent enemy cavalry to sit down and ZOC them and force the knights to charge; I dont know if the crossbowmen fought as separate bodies.

Excuse me for the pedantic wall of text :D .
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 am Heer gott,did you get into the beta test?
No.
Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 am But the templars' shield and flags were wrong.
Perhaps, the shields will be changed in future. In my case Templars and Hospitallers are in service of the Teutonic Order.
Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Lancier »

Seljuk Empire (1037–1194) is involved?
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 am But the templars' shield and flags were wrong.
What about these templars' shields?

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Cronos09 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:55 am

No,still wrong,they should use their historical pattern shield like this,and also the flags on their lances.
Attachments
0000090_0.jpeg
0000090_0.jpeg (20.19 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
20210223215700.jpg
20210223215700.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
3GJEcoys_0QG3ZlMVThBQCfPeHVLtFasKgluPpPiVgolKikWw.jpg
3GJEcoys_0QG3ZlMVThBQCfPeHVLtFasKgluPpPiVgolKikWw.jpg (20.45 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:58 pm
Cronos09 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:55 am

No,still wrong,they should use their historical pattern shield like this,and also the flags on their lances.
Isn't it a more complex matter than just ONE and only one historical pattern ?

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armorial_ ... _du_Temple
Last edited by Athos1660 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Why two men ? Is it just a symbol ? Not a tactic ?

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Athos1660 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:59 pm Why two men ? Is it just a symbol ? Not a tactic ?

Because when they were first established they lack of money and horses so only can ride one horse per two men.Just a memorial as symbol.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”