Game should add a plain selection to the map types

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Game should add a plain selection to the map types

Post by Dux Limitis »

Horde wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:28 am I actually think it´s pretty realistic to have this rough terrain in place. As said, in an agricutural landscape it´s gonna be small buildings, ditches, fences, areas with uneven ground, high crops, etc. What i think its that is not specially visually appealing to see somewhat perfect squares of stony ground marked as rought, but is a convenience for the sake of gameplay. I would like to see some aditional aestethics, though, like vineyards, small plots with stone fences, etc, but perhaps that would be confusing to players.
Still the game need to add a plain terrain type map(Indipendent from the normal agricutural) to simulate the battles happend on the open terrains.
GryfoCezar
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by GryfoCezar »

Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:17 am
Horde wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:28 am I actually think it´s pretty realistic to have this rough terrain in place. As said, in an agricutural landscape it´s gonna be small buildings, ditches, fences, areas with uneven ground, high crops, etc. What i think its that is not specially visually appealing to see somewhat perfect squares of stony ground marked as rought, but is a convenience for the sake of gameplay. I would like to see some aditional aestethics, though, like vineyards, small plots with stone fences, etc, but perhaps that would be confusing to players.
Still the game need to add a plain terrain type map(Indipendent from the normal agricutural) to simulate the battles happend on the open terrains.
Steppe terrain is that. 9 times out of 10 you have perfectly flat plain, with no major amounts of rough ground. The only diference from what you want are textures, and it would be redundant to add the same terrain with slightly different textures.
Concussus surgo
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

GryfoCezar wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:24 am
Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:17 am
Steppe terrain is that. 9 times out of 10 you have perfectly flat plain, with no major amounts of rough ground. The only diference from what you want are textures, and it would be redundant to add the same terrain with slightly different textures.
Yes,maybe in the future the dev could give us an open terrain type map like steppe but with European textures(And tracks,small settlements etc).
Stelteck
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Stelteck »

I agree the game should provide a way to generate a mostly plain terrain. It would really be a nice addition.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Stelteck wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:57 pm I agree the game should provide a way to generate a mostly plain terrain. It would really be a nice addition.
Thanks,that's for sure what the game need to do.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

A big, big part of the fun and realism of this game comes from the terrain and its variation in type and elevation.

The fun in pairs of knights charging each other, on and on, on a flat terrain is very limited imho. But if you really want two armies facing each other on a flat terrain, you can make it in the Scenario editor. It takes only 2 minutes.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Athos1660 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:01 pm A big, big part of the fun and realism of this game comes from the terrain and its variation in type and elevation.

The fun in pairs of knights charging each other, on and on, on a flat terrain is very limited imho. But if you really want two armies facing each other on a flat terrain, you can make it in the Scenario editor. It takes only 2 minutes.
So the "variation" made me constantly refresh the European Agriculture type map for a relatively flat terrain.The game just need to add an European open terrain type map(And others like Mediterranean and Middle East in the future).

Infact most of the Medieval battles fought on the open terrains,some battles fought in rare situations like Kephistos etc. can't represent the most,besides,the editor can't be used to make a map generator but only a map/scenario maker so I think it's not a kind of solution.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

After the next game update I might release a little mod to allow more open terrain. It shouldn't take me more than 10 minutes, but at least it will stop all this constant arguing!
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
GryfoCezar

Post by GryfoCezar »

Paul59 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:07 am After the next game update I might release a little mod to allow more open terrain. It shouldn't take me more than 10 minutes, but at least it will stop all this constant arguing!
Our saviour!
Concussus surgo
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Paul59 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:07 am After the next game update I might release a little mod to allow more open terrain. It shouldn't take me more than 10 minutes, but at least it will stop all this constant arguing!
Please merge it into official if Mr.RBS permits.

Anyway thanks for doing this.God bless you!
gribol
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by gribol »

If it works that way, I'll have the parakeets, the clown from the show, and the star from the sky !!
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Hurray for Paul ! :D
That's nice of him.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

I've done it already, but I don't want to release it now. The file that I modified will be changed in the next official update, which is only a few days away, so I don't want to have to update the mod so soon after I release it.

I have kept it very simple, adding a new terrain style would be very complicated, so I have just renamed the 3 Agricultural terrain styles as "Plain" and reduced the amount of Forests, Hills and Rough terrain that they have. It will be a Custom Battles mod (including the Time Warp), so you just need to select it a module, and then make your choices in the normal way. If there is a demand for an MP version I can do that too.

As I have a few days before I can release, I will see if I can find a way to stop the stream from occasionally running across the middle of the map, that might be a bit more complicated though.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

lapdog666
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by lapdog666 »

i ve played some games with new dlcs and all i can say is that i stoped using agricultural maps because they are way too hilly compared to the earlier agricultural maps . i dont know why its like that but i just cant ignore the new reality

and i m not talking about rough terrain , but actuall hills everywhere
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

lapdog666 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:22 am i ve played some games with new dlcs and all i can say is that i stoped using agricultural maps because they are way too hilly compared to the earlier agricultural maps . i dont know why its like that but i just cant ignore the new reality

and i m not talking about rough terrain , but actuall hills everywhere
Yep,sometimes with difficult slopes,so I just wonder why they can't give a plain type map instead of make the players constantly refresh the agricultural type map for a one with more open terrains.
VenG
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by VenG »

Ditto, sometimes the agricultural terrain is actually very hilly
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

There will be Plains options in the next full (scheduled) update.
Richard Bodley Scott

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:53 am There will be Plains options in the next full (scheduled) update.
God bless you good sir!!!!!
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Yes, I was informed that RBS would be introducing an official plains option to the game, so I have not released my mod. There is no need for it now!

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Paul59 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:33 am Yes, I was informed that RBS would be introducing an official plains option to the game, so I have not released my mod. There is no need for it now!
Yes,thanks for the working of the mod too Mr.Paul,by the way I wanna ask,are you making the new unit textures/models for the game or not?

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”