Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

OnWargaming
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

New player

Post by OnWargaming »

Hello all,

I am a new member and am thinking to buy this game for quick and fun wargaming night sessions.

How much time do you spend playing a turn? (roughly)

What about the availability of players?
I prefer to play PBEM games (after the initial AI training of course) therefore I am wondering if I have to join a dedicated channel (like Discord) or will be enough to post here.

Thanks in advance.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Re: New player

Post by Athos1660 »

OnWargaming wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:26 pm How much time do you spend playing a turn? (roughly)
I've never timed it. A few minutes I guess.
It can be fast as you can move groups of units. It can take longer if you ponder for a while.
OnWargaming wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:26 pm What about the availability of players?
I prefer to play PBEM games (after the initial AI training of course) therefore I am wondering if I have to join a dedicated channel (like Discord) or will be enough to post here.
Very good. MP players say there's no difficulty in finding opponents.
You will access to the Multiplayer mode from the game.
tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

Players seem to spend something from 3 to 30 minutes a move on PBEM games, depending on lots of things. Maybe around 4-5 minutes is usual.
This game and Ancients has a vibrant playing community with lots of opponents/competitions available.
OnWargaming

Post by OnWargaming »

Many thanks, this is what I am looking for.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

OnWargaming wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:44 am Many thanks, this is what I am looking for.
I run the Field of Glory 2 Digital League, which has both Ancient and Medieval sections. There are 3 seasons each year, running for 10 weeks each time. The next one starts on October 1st, which may be too soon for you, but the one after that starts on February 1st 2022 and that may be of interest. :wink:

viewforum.php?f=501
OnWargaming

Post by OnWargaming »

stockwellpete wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:38 am I run the Field of Glory 2 Digital League, which has both Ancient and Medieval sections. There are 3 seasons each year, running for 10 weeks each time. The next one starts on October 1st, which may be too soon for you, but the one after that starts on February 1st 2022 and that may be of interest. :wink:

viewforum.php?f=501
Thanks for the info, anyhow I will wait the next season because I don't want to buy the upcoming DLC without knowing if the base game will fit for me :)

Btw, in the player's Guide rules 1 and 5 are missing or I don't see them in any case.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

OnWargaming wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:46 am Btw, in the player's Guide rules 1 and 5 are missing or I don't see them in any case.
No, they are not meant to be there as what is contained in the Rules of Competition is sufficient. The Player's Guide just amplifies the rules and deals with a number of "what if" situations. Thanks. :wink:
OnWargaming

Post by OnWargaming »

stockwellpete wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:49 am No, they are not meant to be there as what is contained in the Rules of Competition is sufficient. The Player's Guide just amplifies the rules and deals with a number of "what if" situations. Thanks. :wink:
Thanks for the explanation!

Downloading the game just right now, see you on the battlefield :D
Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jagger2002 »

When playing an AI game, I usually complete the game in half an hour to an hour. And it is an action packed. I used to play a lot of multiplayer but now primarily against the AI. Both manners of play are very enjoyable.
OnWargaming

Post by OnWargaming »

Thanks you all for the feedback.

This night I will play the tutorial, btw I really like the game graphic design.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

You will have great fun in MP once you know what you are doing.. lots of players. I doubt anyone would take 30 mins to take a turn!! Maybe if you go and make a cup of tea and come back... Yes, up to 10-15 mins in the middle of a battle I can understand. At the start, it can take 5 mins to take a turn.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
OnWargaming

Post by OnWargaming »

Played the first two tutorials and I have no shame to say that I lost the second, two generals fallen in the middle of the battle and the whole line gone down like a house of cards, great time :D

The turns are pretty fast if you just move your units around the map and when they are locked in the close combat, otherwise it depends how many time you are willing to spend for planning before the battle.

So far so good, happy customer :)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

SLancaster wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:04 am You will have great fun in MP once you know what you are doing.. lots of players.
@OnWargaming: It is worth pointing out you may not see many open access challenges when you look in the MP lobby. This is not because people aren't playing, but because open access challenges get snapped up very quickly.

The solution is to create challenges yourself, and you will find they are soon taken up.
Richard Bodley Scott

Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

It is also worth noting for a newcomer that there is a third mode (besides SP and MP) : the Hotseat mode which allows either to play both sides or play one side each with a friend, using the same computer (manual, p. 156). You'll find it among the options.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

OnWargaming wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 am Played the first two tutorials and I have no shame to say that I lost the second, two generals fallen in the middle of the battle and the whole line gone down like a house of cards, great time :D
If you need help with tutorial 2:

https://youtu.be/-Ie2JL_p7GA
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
OnWargaming

Post by OnWargaming »

@rbodleyscott Thanks, I will do after another few games against the AI.

@Athos1660 Never used this option for any game so far, maybe in the future when my kids will grow up :D
SnuggleBunnies wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:09 am If you need help with tutorial 2:

https://youtu.be/-Ie2JL_p7GA
Thanks for your support, this morning I got my revenge, I waited the enemy in the centre and sent my Prussian warriors in the diffcult terrain to take care of the enemy infatry/shooters, I won after the the Teutonic army lost both wings.
Glad to have created a plan similar to your strategy, nice channel!

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”