European/crusader Trebuchets

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Madaoke
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

European/crusader Trebuchets

Post by Madaoke »

Why don't the crusaders and lot of the european armies have trebuchets? They were the ones who most likely invented it and the first records of the use of it is by crusaders.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: European/crusader Trebuchets

Post by rbodleyscott »

Madaoke wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:49 pm Why don't the crusaders and lot of the european armies have trebuchets? They were the ones who most likely invented it and the first records of the use of it is by crusaders.
Because they were siege weapons. The Mongols are recorded as having use stone thowing engines in battle, notably at Mohi.
Richard Bodley Scott

Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Dux Limitis »

I think it's because the European and Outremer states mainly used them for sieges but rarely in open battles(Still,I read the French used them in the battle of Mons en Pévèleand,1304 AD,but I don't read the others),and it's a game mostly about the open battles.
Last edited by Dux Limitis on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

Dux Limitis wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:08 pm the battle of Mons en Pévèleand,1304 AD
I guess you mean the Battle of Mons-en-Pévèle in 18 August 1304.

In his book about this battle, on p. 16, Georges Six (mentioned in the Wiki article above) mentions "the French using five war machines : 3 'perdriaux' throwing stones and 2 'espringales' throwing bolts, quoting a poem written by Guillaume Guiart (who died ca. 1316) also mentioned in the article.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

Athos1660 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:52 pm
Dux Limitis wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:08 pm the battle of Mons en Pévèleand,1304 AD
I guess you mean the Battle of Mons-en-Pévèle in 18 August 1304.

In his book about this battle, on p. 16, Georges Six (mentioned in the Wiki article above) mentions "the French using five war machines : 3 'perdriaux' throwing stones and 2 'espringales' throwing bolts, quoting a poem written by Guillaume Guiart (who died ca. 1316) also mentioned in the article.
Yes,that's it.Perdriaux my guess is a catapult kind of thing and I know the espringale is a Medieval equal of the scorpio/light ballista.
Last edited by Dux Limitis on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madaoke

Post by Madaoke »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:02 pm
Madaoke wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:49 pm Why don't the crusaders and lot of the european armies have trebuchets? They were the ones who most likely invented it and the first records of the use of it is by crusaders.
Because they were siege weapons. The Mongols are recorded as having use stone thowing engines in battle, notably at Mohi.
Thanks for answering, call me autistic but when it isn't historical anymore I find it hard to keep playing but I'm glad this isn't the case.
Also is there an option to turn off siege weapons?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Madaoke wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:19 amAlso is there an option to turn off siege weapons?
They are only permitted if they were used in open battle. There is no option to exclude them other than modding the army lists. (You should not do this in your main build if you will ever play MP)
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”