Interesting matchups?

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Interesting matchups?

Post by 76mm »

I recently bought FOG-M and have played about half a dozen games so far., all on potluck just to see what's out there. So far most of the games have been OK, but the armies seem pretty similar--some knights, some defensive spearmen, and some crossbowmen. (then of course there are the horse armies, which I prefer to avoid). Kind of fun for a few games, but so far I haven't found the kind of variety available in FOG2.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the various armies of this period, so am not sure where to look for more varied match-ups...any suggestions?
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Interesting matchups?

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Poles, Russians, Baltic Tribes, Irish, Scots, Welsh are all in the base game with no DLCs and play differently from Latin forces
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Ray552
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Ray552 »

Look further east - if you are not averse to elephants and hordes of archers, try the Indian Hindu lists.

Medium impact foot swarm like the ancient Samnites? Try the Dailami.

Looking at Europe, the medium offensive spear swarm of the Free Cantons can be quite entertaining - hmm, Free Canton 1108 AD vs. Indian (Hindu South) 1050 AD sounds interesting...
76mm

Post by 76mm »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:14 am Poles, Russians, Baltic Tribes, Irish, Scots, Welsh are all in the base game with no DLCs and play differently from Latin forces
Thanks, will take a look at these. I actually got both DLCs as part of a bundle with my anniversary coupon.

I recently played against the Scots, who had an army composed of something close to 100% spearmen. I'm embarrassed to admit that I lost against the AI 43-0...that has never happened before. Not a particularly fun game, I just watched one of my units after another double-drop in melee against the Scottish spearmen.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ray552 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:22 am Look further east - if you are not averse to elephants and hordes of archers, try the Indian Hindu lists.

Medium impact foot swarm like the ancient Samnites? Try the Dailami.

Looking at Europe, the medium offensive spear swarm of the Free Cantons can be quite entertaining - hmm, Free Canton 1108 AD vs. Indian (Hindu South) 1050 AD sounds interesting...
Thanks, will take a look, although I don't really care for playing as or against the archer-based armies, or the horsey-shooty armies.
Ray552

Post by Ray552 »

76mm wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:19 pm ...I recently played against the Scots, who had an army composed of something close to 100% spearmen. I'm embarrassed to admit that I lost against the AI 43-0...that has never happened before. Not a particularly fun game, I just watched one of my units after another double-drop in melee against the Scottish spearmen.
Just curious - which Scots list, what army were you using, level of difficulty, and map terrain type?

I'd like to try this myself against the Scots and see how badly I can get my ass kicked.

If you write, "Scots 1162 AD vs. Baltic Tribes 1050 AD, King level, Northern European Agricultural", I'd say you were a glutton for punishment :lol:
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ray552 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:42 pm Just curious - which Scots list, what army were you using, level of difficulty, and map terrain type?
Honestly I don't remember; so far I've been playing exclusively Pot Luck for all games to get a feel for the various armies, so I didn't really "pick" the armies or the terrain. But IIRC I was playing as one of the English armies, and the terrain was pretty open. The spearmen looked like pike units, with long spears and deep formations. So far I've been playing on the "Baron" level of difficulty, under which I guess I'm winning about 80% of the games I'm playing.

When the game started, I was like, OK, a bunch of Scottish spearmen, big deal... But my army (whatever it was) had the standard handful of knights and a bunch of defensive spearmen and crossbowmen, and the Scottish spearmen easily ended off my knights, closed with the rest of my army, and ground it to dust...
Mord
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

Don't forget, you also have the ability to play a Medieval era list against anything from Ancients (or vice versa) if you want to test/try something really funky. May not be for everyone but it does add a s***load of play value and experimentation to Medieval.

Mord.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Mord wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:59 am Don't forget, you also have the ability to play a Medieval era list against anything from Ancients (or vice versa) if you want to test/try something really funky. May not be for everyone but it does add a s***load of play value and experimentation to Medieval.
How do you do that? I doubt I'd do it very often but it might be fun a couple of times.
Mord
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

It's under Custom Battles to the right of the list selections "select another Module". It's called Time Warp. It's actually fun if you want something really weird.

Mord.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval”