Crash and reboot

Moderator: rbodleyscott

edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Crash and reboot

Post by edb1815 »

About every 5-6 turn plays on multiplayer in FOGM my system crashes and auto reboots. It has happened while watching a turn replay, during deployment and in the middle of a turn. This never happened with FOGA multiplayer. I have not had it happen during single player battles, but I mostly play using the pbem system.

My Event viewer show these errors before (while in game) and after the reboot:

Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows.

This one comes up multiple times while playing:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user DESKTOP-2CIGGOI\ericb SID (S-1-5-21-3998346999-2339256970-3271367822-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.964_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I have the latest version of my graphics driver running. Let me know if I should upload a Dxdiag file. ( AMD Ryzen 5 2600 16 GB ram, DX12)

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Crash and reboot

Post by rbodleyscott »

I will pass this on to Pip.

In the meantine please could you post the contents of the error.log file from /Documents/My Games/FieldOfGloryMedieval.

You need to do this immediately after the crash/reboot, because the file is overwritten when you restart the game. (There are also date stamped versions, but I am not sure whether this will have been written if your computer reboots).

Also your DxDiag.
Richard Bodley Scott

edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

Thanks.

I have the logs but can't seem to add attachments to this post. I keep getting an invalid file extension error - both for .txt and .log files. It seems to want a custom file type. Do I not have permission to post attachments?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

edb1815 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:36 am Thanks.

I have the logs but can't seem to add attachments to this post. I keep getting an invalid file extension error - both for .txt and .log files. It seems to want a custom file type. Do I not have permission to post attachments?
You could probably attach them as .zip files.

Otherwise just copy and paste the contents.
Richard Bodley Scott

edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:48 am
edb1815 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:36 am Thanks.

You could probably attach them as .zip files.

Otherwise just copy and paste the contents.
DxD and logs.zip
(23.25 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Thanks - zipping them worked. I found several error logs from yesterday when I had multiple crashes and I included them.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

That is certainly very odd. The logs show that the system is just being killed by something, and the game itself doesn't have the ability to do that under Windows, so it is likely a driver issue. I would try a number of things to see if they stop the crashes:

+ disable the sound
+ try and find a WHQL certified driver for your video card. The current one is not certified (and part of the certification is preventing these kind of driver crashes).

What version of the game are you running (Slitherine/Steam/GOG)? Also, are you running the game via a network cable or via wifi?

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:49 pm That is certainly very odd. The logs show that the system is just being killed by something, and the game itself doesn't have the ability to do that under Windows, so it is likely a driver issue. I would try a number of things to see if they stop the crashes:

+ disable the sound
+ try and find a WHQL certified driver for your video card. The current one is not certified (and part of the certification is preventing these kind of driver crashes).

What version of the game are you running (Slitherine/Steam/GOG)? Also, are you running the game via a network cable or via wifi?

Cheers

Pip
Ok thanks. Hmm my driver is directly through the AMD update software. I updated after having the first crash. I'll make sure I don't have a beta version. I am running the steam version via cable. Here is something interesting - I just ran through some MP turns in FOGII Ancients with no problems, however I looked at the event logs during the play time and noticed the same message: event 10016 Distributed COM, multiple times. Just warnings though no errors or crashes.

I also learned that this error may have something to do with permissions in the registry.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

edb1815 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:26 pm
pipfromslitherine wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:49 pm That is certainly very odd. The logs show that the system is just being killed by something, and the game itself doesn't have the ability to do that under Windows, so it is likely a driver issue. I would try a number of things to see if they stop the crashes:

+ disable the sound

Cheers

Pip
Ok thanks. Hmm my driver is directly through the AMD update software. I updated after having the first crash. I'll make sure I don't have a beta version. I am running the steam version via cable. Here is something interesting - I just ran through some MP turns in FOGII Ancients with no problems, however I looked at the event logs during the play time and noticed the same message: event 10016 Distributed COM, multiple times. Just warnings though no errors or crashes.

I also learned that this error may have something to do with permissions in the registry.
I am 99.9% sure that the COM errors are nothing to do with the game crash. If windows is logging an error is it generally not going to then reboot the machine.

Cheers

Pip
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

Ok thanks. Another bizarre point, the AMD Radon software thinks WH Santus Reach is MS Edge, so I have been playing it everytime I open a browser lol. Probably just a software issue there.
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:40 pm
edb1815 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:26 pm

+ disable the sound

Cheers

Pip

I am 99.9% sure that the COM errors are nothing to do with the game crash. If windows is logging an error is it generally not going to then reboot the machine.

Cheers

Pip
Pip:

Coming back to this as I did a reinstall of the game and that took care of the problem for awhile. Now I am having the crashes again and the crashes have started knocking out my USB ports (not sure how that is connected).

Anyway here is something I spotted in the last several error logs:

4621: ALL_Move_Command : 1020, 26, 34, 0 : C2BC748A
WARNING: SCRIPT ID: duplicate script id found (92000002 for DATA/UI/UNITLIST.BSF [E:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Field of Glory II Medieval/DATA/UI/UNITLIST.BSF])
E:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Field of Glory II Medieval/DATA/UI/UNITLIST.BSF exists
RESET
Playing as: 0
TICKS IN REPLAY:3133

I can resend these more recent files if you like but this warning came up in the logs yesterday when I had multiple crashes with this one being the only line like it in each log.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those are purely informational, they wouldn't cause any issues.

As I said, the game doesn't run with enough privileges to cause hardware failures or system resets. If the video drivers are WHQL'ed then it could be some other driver level problem. Does the crash only happen in MP? Could it be a wireless or other network driver issue? Did you try disabling the sound?

Cheers

Pip
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:07 pm Those are purely informational, they wouldn't cause any issues.

As I said, the game doesn't run with enough privileges to cause hardware failures or system resets. If the video drivers are WHQL'ed then it could be some other driver level problem. Does the crash only happen in MP? Could it be a wireless or other network driver issue? Did you try disabling the sound?

Cheers

Pip
Man I thought I saw something there. :( , Yes sound is off. I mostly play MP, but so far that is when the crash occurs - right in the middle of my move or deployment. I will double check the drivers. The crashes only started after I installed FOGM.
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

Just following up on this because the system reboot happened in FOGII as well. I did have a crash whilst playing a single player campaign battle. I have attached the latest logs and cross posted in FOGII support. I did also confirm that the video driver is WHQL verified. Although on the Dxdiag I see some devices that are not. I did turn off the sound in FOGM. Other thread: viewtopic.php?f=488&t=108038
Attachments
FOGM Error files.zip
error logs and Dxdiag
(19.85 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

remove audio drivers completely and go to motherboard makers site and download and install latest version from there and try not to over write with video card bundled drivers,

then,

reboot.

once rebooted disable or remove all exterior devices not need to game with, eg 3d printer and only plug in when using, and not game.

go into task manager and disable everything at startup except your AV

anything that says overlay or tool, or anything other than AV isn't needed on each and every boot, anything in start up will slow the system down and can conflict, here's mine, yes it's empty
2.jpg
2.jpg (138.93 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
once done reboot and retest the game, if it works your sorted, if it doesn't you have something else on your system that is conflicting with the game and either stopping a process from running or running at the same time as when the game process want to and that's why it crashes, finding what it is, or what causes it is not only time consuming, but looking at the logs, it's not the only error on the system either, so maybe a registry repair tool for the exe linking error may help, but that's more than support can offer eg
Ok thanks. Another bizarre point, the AMD Radon software thinks WH Santus Reach is MS Edge, so I have been playing it everytime I open a browser lol. Probably just a software issue there.
that's registry so yes software and not a minor issue, that's a program which has over written permissions and altered one link to another, that's major not minor, and maybe just the tip of a bigger iceberg, the problem with the registry is using a tool to repair it, may fix some issues, but if there's more than a few sometimes it breaks others where only a O/S repair will fix, so not something most would recommend.

good luck
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

edb1815 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:11 am Just following up on this because the system reboot happened in FOGII as well. I did have a crash whilst playing a single player campaign battle. I have attached the latest logs and cross posted in FOGII support. I did also confirm that the video driver is WHQL verified. Although on the Dxdiag I see some devices that are not. I did turn off the sound in FOGM. Other thread: viewtopic.php?f=488&t=108038
1 - how did you turn off the sound? Was it by setting the Sound value to zero in the options.txt file?

2 - try running a memory test:
https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to ... -problems/
(you only need to try option 1, the built-in memory test)

Cheers

Pip
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:42 pm
edb1815 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:11 am Just following up on this because the system reboot happened in FOGII as well. I did have a crash whilst playing a single player campaign battle. I have attached the latest logs and cross posted in FOGII support. I did also confirm that the video driver is WHQL verified. Although on the Dxdiag I see some devices that are not. I did turn off the sound in FOGM. Other thread: viewtopic.php?f=488&t=108038
1 - how did you turn off the sound? Was it by setting the Sound value to zero in the options.txt file?

2 - try running a memory test:
https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to ... -problems/
(you only need to try option 1, the built-in memory test)

Cheers

Pip
I turned the sound off in the game settings menu only. :oops: I'll try in the txt file and run the memory test. Thanks
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

zakblood wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:17 am remove audio drivers completely and go to motherboard makers site and download and install latest version from there and try not to over write with video card bundled drivers,

then,

reboot.

once rebooted disable or remove all exterior devices not need to game with, eg 3d printer and only plug in when using, and not game.

go into task manager and disable everything at startup except your AV

anything that says overlay or tool, or anything other than AV isn't needed on each and every boot, anything in start up will slow the system down and can conflict, here's mine, yes it's empty
2.jpg

once done reboot and retest the game, if it works your sorted, if it doesn't you have something else on your system that is conflicting with the game and either stopping a process from running or running at the same time as when the game process want to and that's why it crashes, finding what it is, or what causes it is not only time consuming, but looking at the logs, it's not the only error on the system either, so maybe a registry repair tool for the exe linking error may help, but that's more than support can offer eg
that's registry so yes software and not a minor issue, that's a program which has over written permissions and altered one link to another, that's major not minor, and maybe just the tip of a bigger iceberg, the problem with the registry is using a tool to repair it, may fix some issues, but if there's more than a few sometimes it breaks others where only a O/S repair will fix, so not something most would recommend.

good luck
Great thank you this is very helpful. I suspect that something I installed which runs in the background may be conflicting. Sounds like starting in safe mode! As to Sanctus Reach hopefully a steam uninstall may help there, but I will check the registry. Is there a registry cleaner tool that you would recommend? Edit: Now I see you have CCleaner on your screenshot.
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

Update: Ok I did the following and had several crashes again today:

1. Memory test - ok
2. Disabled every start up program except AV and Steam.
3. Updated video driver.
4. Uninstalled all audio drivers and devices. Installed Realtek audio driver from the motherboard website.

I have attached error logs for the two latest crashes as well as Dxdiag. I did note that the first time I did it Windows loaded up all the audio drivers on restart, but the drivers were all WHQL signed. I also note that Windows automatically installed an HD audio driver even without a restart. Do you need the error_trace text file as well? I did notice in that file there was a line that said: Sound driver not initialized. Not sure if that means the in game setting or something else.

I also did download CCleaner and cleaned some duplicate and unused registry entries. What is odd to me is that this started in the fall with FOGII Medieval, and it did not affect FOGII until months later. If it is worth attempting to uninstall and reinstall the games should I do that through Steam and will that be sufficient or should I manually clean the registry as well?
Attachments
Updated crash logs.zip
(35.24 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

My guess is going to have to be that there is an intermittent hardware issue that is causing the system to crash. That fact that the whole system goes down does support that. It could be an issue in the GPU, the motherboard, etc. It could also be overheating, as the game likely pushes the hardware fairly hard - in which case simply checking for dust etc in the case MIGHT help.

As I say, the fact that the whole system is going down is the most compelling factor. A game simply cannot do that (with well behaved drivers) under W10/11. Sorry haven't been able to find a solid solution :(

Cheers

Pip
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:26 pm My guess is going to have to be that there is an intermittent hardware issue that is causing the system to crash. That fact that the whole system goes down does support that. It could be an issue in the GPU, the motherboard, etc. It could also be overheating, as the game likely pushes the hardware fairly hard - in which case simply checking for dust etc in the case MIGHT help.

As I say, the fact that the whole system is going down is the most compelling factor. A game simply cannot do that (with well behaved drivers) under W10/11. Sorry haven't been able to find a solid solution :(

Cheers

Pip
Thanks. I am due for a dust clean out. The confounding part for me is that this is the only game out of many I have been playing that is causing this system shut down. I play other games that are far more stressing to the system, well at least graphically, such as RDR2, or something that is more CPU intensive like SOW: Waterloo or Order of Battle. Sadly, this game is the one I most enjoy as I am at heart a tabletop gamer. :(

I will try some clean boot troubleshooting.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval Tech Support”