Battle replay functionality

Moderator: rbodleyscott

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Battle replay functionality

Post by kronenblatt »

What I really would like to have, for Ancients as well as Medieval, is battle replay functionality, making it possible to replay the battle and all its orders and turns from start until where the battle is currently at. Maybe not with all battle results displayed (or at least optional) and maybe (if not possible to do in an active battle) at least in concluded battles.

It would in my view add a lot of value and be really fun, useful, and educating to watch afterwards (or meanwhile) how the battle developed, what were the defining moments and situations, etc.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Battle replay functionality

Post by rbodleyscott »

It is on the list of things to do, but isn't nearly as simple as you might think. Also, since the current replay method is not a video, but plays through the actual moves etc. using the normal game code, game replays from previous game versions would be broken as soon as the game is updated.
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:14 am It is on the list of things to do, but isn't nearly as simple as you might think. Also, since the current replay method is not a video, but plays through the actual moves etc. using the normal game code, game replays from previous game versions would be broken as soon as the game is updated.
Appreciated: I'm glad that it's at least already on the list. :)

Holien
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Holien »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:14 am It is on the list of things to do, but isn't nearly as simple as you might think. Also, since the current replay method is not a video, but plays through the actual moves etc. using the normal game code, game replays from previous game versions would be broken as soon as the game is updated.
OK so this is as I thought and as I am just getting lured into this universe you have created thanks for the answer...

I started looking at how I can video the turns to watch them back at leisure.

If anyone sees this thread and is using software to capture the turns what do you use? Whats good?

I am looking at you "Richard Yorke" if you happen to see this... :)

I will be doing some googling today on what i can find...
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Holien wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:51 am
OK so this is as I thought and as I am just getting lured into this universe you have created thanks for the answer...

I started looking at how I can video the turns to watch them back at leisure.

If anyone sees this thread and is using software to capture the turns what do you use? Whats good?

I am looking at you "Richard Yorke" if you happen to see this... :)

I will be doing some googling today on what i can find...
SnuggleBunnies wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:06 am
SnuggleBunnies has also made some excellent video recordings, so you could always also ask him for advice, to point you to the right software, etc.

Holien

Post by Holien »

Thanks I will look up his work.

I just had a quick play with Geoforce Exp ShadowPlay that comes with my NVidia card and actually very easy to use.

I could become a YouTuber!!! Woot new skills for an old dog...

Now just have to get into habit of recording before I hit play on my multiplayer turns.

Next step is to learn the skill of joining them together to see the game in one flow....

This will allow me to learn what I have done badly with. The first two games I made some mistakes and I hope by recording the games I can go back and see what would have been the better approach to take.

Richard I do hope you can work out how to do it but I fully understand that once an architecture has been built it is pretty hard to bolt in certain things.

Thanks for your quick responses... Now to find SnuggleBunnies - I wonder what Google might show me...

:shock:
Atherys
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Atherys »

Is it possible to create a replay of the whole match from all the recorded moves, like in chess? I also feel like the the current battle replay per round can be improved by weeding out the "wait" and making the interval between moves 1 second or less.

EDIT: I have 4 things in mind for the data that should be stored in battle replay:
Map
Starting unit composition
Actions (moving, charging, shooting) according to coordinates
Battle and cohesion result
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Atherys wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:55 am
Is it possible to create a replay of the whole match from all the recorded moves, like in chess? I also feel like the the current battle replay per round can be improved by weeding out the "wait" and making the interval between moves 1 second or less.

EDIT: I have 4 things in mind for the data that should be stored in battle replay:
Map
It really isn't that easy or we would already have done it.

The biggest stumbling block is the need to run the "moves" through exactly the same codebase to get the same results. So even if it could be made to work for an immediate replay of the game, it would no longer work after a game update.

I don't think that is what people would want.
Richard Bodley Scott

Atherys
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Atherys »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 pm It really isn't that easy or we would already have done it.

The biggest stumbling block is the need to run the "moves" through exactly the same codebase to get the same results. So even if it could be made to work for an immediate replay of the game, it would no longer work after a game update.

I don't think that is what people would want.
Alright, maybe I don't how exactly the codebase works currently and in the future, but I fail to see how this replay thing will break in every update. Even if the game updates, the replay just need the record and simulate it without calculations that it'd need to run on ongoing match. It doesn't need to acknowledge the latest stats or mechanics for the current update. Of course, in turn this means new codebase to only simulate records without calculation and that means new work.

I don't know about others, but I'd pay for a battle replay, really... My gaming circle that plays this game wants one as well. Maybe you should run a survey for it as well to see if there's a significant demand for the work to be worth it.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Holien wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:15 am Thanks I will look up his work.
Greetings. I use nvidia to record and shotcut to edit and splice, both free. If you're just recording for yourself, nvidia alone is fine. If you're uploading, there'll be a fair amount of fiddling with audio to get the balance right between voice and game.

Channel link is in my sig ;)
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Holien

Post by Holien »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:21 pm
Greetings. I use nvidia to record and shotcut to edit and splice, both free. If you're just recording for yourself, nvidia alone is fine. If you're uploading, there'll be a fair amount of fiddling with audio to get the balance right between voice and game.

OK I will check out shotcut to see how to splice videos together that is very helpful thank you.

I have just recorded two turns very painless via the NVidia ShadowPlay utility and that allows me to capture a turn for review later... A useful trick for me to have learnt...
Holien

Post by Holien »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:36 pm
Atherys wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:55 am

Map
It really isn't that easy or we would already have done it.
If I had a pound for every time I had to say something like that to senior managers about IT Projects I would be a rich man...

Richard I have a workaround and I fully understand why it ain't easy and know how to apply cost benefit analysis on requested feature requests...

Thanks for being so engaged with your community, very nice to see and makes me keen to join the family of FOG players.

My "Bloody Big Battles" Opponents will be losing some of my time....
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Holien wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 pm Thanks for being so engaged with your community, very nice to see and makes me keen to join the family of FOG players.

My "Bloody Big Battles" Opponents will be losing some of my time....
Have fun.
Richard Bodley Scott

SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

Holien wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:29 pm
SnuggleBunnies wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:21 pm

OK I will check out shotcut to see how to splice videos together that is very helpful thank you.

I have just recorded two turns very painless via the NVidia ShadowPlay utility and that allows me to capture a turn for review later... A useful trick for me to have learnt...
I am using Nvidia Shadowplay and Shotcut. Bunny recommended them and they are quite easy to use. Enjoy!
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Atherys wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:15 pm The replay just need the record and simulate it without calculations that it'd need to run on ongoing match. It doesn't need to acknowledge the latest stats or mechanics for the current update.
Yes, that's what I was thinking as well.

And as you say; it involves new functionality and that costs time and money to develop. In my case, it would definitely be worth it.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval Tech Support”