AI data dialog in reversed scenarios

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

AI data dialog in reversed scenarios

Post by Lysimachos »

At the moment I've finished my first FoG Medieval scenario - which features a battle between Catalans (side0) and Andalusian (side 1) - and, after completing the reversed file, everything seems working fine, included the behaviour of the Andalusan army that respects the orden given via the data dialog box.

Before completing it I was anyway wondering if, in the reversed scenario, should be possible to add specific orders also to the Catalans.
On one hand it seems to me that there are no counterindication in doing so but I remember that in the tutorials posted by Paul59 is written that only the orders given to the armies on the right hand side of the battle really functions.
So, in order to avoid messing the game, I haven't given any order yet but would be glad to know if I'm correct here or if I can safely assign orders also to the Catalans in the reversed scenario.

P.S.
I've find out also another little problem.
In the screen preceeding the battle the map where the position of it should be highlighted is that of Northern Europe and not Southern Europe.
How can i change it?
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: AI data dialog in reversed scenarios

Post by Paul59 »

Lysimachos wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:38 am At the moment I've finished my first FoG Medieval scenario - which features a battle between Catalans (side0) and Andalusian (side 1) - and, after completing the reversed file, everything seems working fine, included the behaviour of the Andalusan army that respects the orden given via the data dialog box.

Before completing it I was anyway wondering if, in the reversed scenario, should be possible to add specific orders also to the Catalans.
On one hand it seems to me that there are no counterindication in doing so but I remember that in the tutorials posted by Paul59 is written that only the orders given to the armies on the right hand side of the battle really functions.
So, in order to avoid messing the game, I haven't given any order yet but would be glad to know if I'm correct here or if I can safely assign orders also to the Catalans in the reversed scenario.

P.S.
I've find out also another little problem.
In the screen preceeding the battle the map where the position of it should be highlighted is that of Northern Europe and not Southern Europe.
How can i change it?
When recommending that the AI should be on the right hand side of the map, I was referring to the use of the AI_Masterplan, This is a simple script in the scenario.bsf file, that activates the same generic set of AI orders that the AI uses in SP Custom battles. It only works correctly if the AI is on the right hand side of the map. If you are allocating your own AI orders to AI teams through the Editor, or writing your own orders in the scenario.bsf file, it does not matter which side of the map the AI is on.

To get the Southern Europe map to display you will have to transfer the Reconquista map to your scenario folder. Copy the FieldOfGloryMedieval/Campaigns/1SouthWestEarly/Data folder, and paste it into your scenario folder.

The FieldOfGloryMedieval/Campaigns/1SouthWestEarly/Data only contains sub folders and a file called EpicMap_Ptolemy.dds, so it is safe to copy over any other files that you may have in your scenario folder. The EpicMap_Ptolemy.dds is the actual map. The game automatically uses the Northern European map, so if you want to use another map for your scenario, it needs to be in your scenario folder.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

Thanks Paul!
So, if I understand correctly, there are no risks - in assigning orders to the Catalans via the AI data dialog in the reversed scenario - that this will alter the orders given in the original file to the Andalusan army.

This would be really interesting, giving the chance to set a path for the AI controlled armies in both scenarios!
Just waiting your confirmation and I'll be able to release the scenario ... :D
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

Already imported the Southern Europe map and the location of the battle has been easily fixed!
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Lysimachos wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:27 pm Thanks Paul!
So, if I understand correctly, there are no risks - in assigning orders to the Catalans via the AI data dialog in the reversed scenario - that this will alter the orders given in the original file to the Andalusan army.

This would be really interesting, giving the chance to set a path for the AI controlled armies in both scenarios!
Just waiting your confirmation and I'll be able to release the scenario ... :D
No risk at all. I reverse scenarios, and give new AI orders for the new Side1 all the time. The only thing you can't do is give Side1 the AI Masterplan in a reversed scenario.

Although I do not use the Editor to allocate AI team orders, I always use scripted orders in the scenario.bsf file. I talk a bit about the scenario.bsf file in this guide:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 91&t=81190

You can have a look at the scenario.bsf files and try to work out how it's done. When I have some time, I might do another guide that explains more about how to write scripted AI orders.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval - Scenario Design”