Modding Medieval's Terrain

Moderator: rbodleyscott

Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: FoG II Terrain for Medieval! (UPDATED 2/6/2021) 9:30AM

Post by Adebar »

Paul59 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:49 pm You can't easily replace the forest 3d objects with the single leafless tree model unfortunately. The forest object contains multiple trees, there is obviously only one tree in the single leafless tree model.

The 3d models are encrypted, so can't be modified even if you knew how. So you would need some serious 3D modding skills to create a new bare forest object from scratch.
Thanks for the info, Paul! No problem, we'll leave it as it is.

IC XC
NI KA
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Mord wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:50 pm Paul, we still have one bug on the Bornhoved map. It's a snow texture in open terrain and woods. Can't figure out why it's showing.

Mord.
Strange, I'm not getting it with my version of the mod:

Your white bits are on what should be an open tile, it's not a marsh tile, so I don't know what can be causing that. It's not a snow texture though, that is a completely separate terrain folder, they can't mix and match by themselves.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
philstat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by philstat »

I'm confused, is this the same mod that DestructoRama shows in the comments section on Steam for this game?!? I wished I could link to it, the thread is titled "Graphical Improvement."
Mord
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

philstat wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:56 am I'm confused, is this the same mod that DestructoRama shows in the comments section on Steam for this game?!? I wished I could link to it, the thread is titled "Graphical Improvement."
Yes.

That was a separate conversation, showing Field of Glory II using the Tex Mod and a couple shots of Medieval using FoG II terrain. I was needing a break the other night so I kinda got sidetracked. There's a specific Steam thread about this mod here and I'll bump it once we get everything completed:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1368870/ ... 773778233/

The updates are mostly posted here, so if you want to keep an eye on it, this is the place to look.

Mord/aka that other guy on Steam.
Last edited by Mord on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mord

Post by Mord »

Paul59 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:53 pm
Your white bits are on what should be an open tile, it's not a marsh tile, so I don't know what can be causing that. It's not a snow texture though, that is a completely separate terrain folder, they can't mix and match by themselves.
I started fresh and somehow got it fixed. I don't know how because after about two hours of slowly adding things from the mod and checking the map, it just ended up working. I couldn't track down what file was causing it. The odd thing was, that as far as I could tell, I didn't add anything different.

Mord.
Mord

Post by Mord »

Got the Marsh vegetation to where I wanted it, looks and density wise. There's four types of flora.The plants aren't so dense as to bury the water nor so thin that it looks naked. Learned a lot about what those Bushes SF4 files did. I was under the impression they all had to do with the dirt mound around the crops, come to find out only one controls that.

I like this Marsh much better than the old one, Paul, now that I can control how much water shows. With all the Medieval Bushes SF4s installed it's too much. So I found a happy medium with a combo from each game. The only thing I would like to do is replace/adjust the texture around the water in the marsh. It looks so cartoony compared to everything else. I tried some tests but they wouldn't show in game. I think it has to do with the TEX1_C and TEX1_S files. I have no idea how to adjust/change them.

Mord.
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Mensch Mord, the marsh looks terrific! :shock:

Love the second pic with the water reflections, I almost hear the mosquitos buzzing.

IC XC
NI KA
toska
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by toska »

I have also encouraged myself to do my tests.

I like things from both games and have merged them. basically the flat terrain (in Medieval FOGII the terrain seems painted) and the steep slopes. Oh of course I removed the mutant lettuces from the roads! :lol:
Attachments
Sin título-33.jpg
Sin título-33.jpg (99.7 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
Sin título-22.jpg
Sin título-22.jpg (97.21 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
Mord

Post by Mord »

Adebar wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:47 pm Mensch Mord, the marsh looks terrific! :shock:

Love the second pic with the water reflections, I almost hear the mosquitos buzzing.
Thanks. I changed all the grasses and the cattails etc. The Texture sheet looks like a complete mess LOL but it comes out ok in game.

toska wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:02 pm I have also encouraged myself to do my tests.

I like things from both games and have merged them. basically the flat terrain (in Medieval FOGII the terrain seems painted) and the steep slopes. Oh of course I removed the mutant lettuces from the roads! :lol:
That's great, man. That is the beauty/curse of modding, you can make it how you want. It can lead down many rabbit holes. I fully expect once this mod is complete people will replace what they want until it fits their tastes.

Mord.
Last edited by Mord on Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mord

Post by Mord »

Adebar wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:47 pm Mensch Mord, the marsh looks terrific! :shock:

Got curious to see what I could do with messing with the snow. Came up with this as a rough two hour test run. Found a way to make Normal Maps and trying to dial it in. The terrain ain't bad for my first time.

@Paul, Could you please tell me what kind of files the Spec01 etc. are in the TILES folder. I understand that they are DDS files, but I need to know what exactly that kind of editing is called so I can research how to make them. EX The Normal Maps are saved as DDS but called Normal Maps.

Here's the links for the Normal Map maker, Adebar, if you are interested. If you need any hints on using it let me know. I got it to where I am not over doing it with the bumping.

Basic Tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgiyr2cMq-s

Site:
http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

Mord.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Mord wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 am

@Paul, Could you please tell me what kind of files the Spec01 etc. are in the TILES folder. I understand that they are DDS files, but I need to know what exactly that kind of editing is called so I can research how to make them. EX The Normal Maps are saved as DDS but called Normal Maps.

Mord.
I don't know anymore than you on that one unfortunately. Obviously the spec maps are the dds files marked TEX1_S and TEX2_S etc, but beyond that I don't know.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Mord

Post by Mord »

Paul59 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:17 pm
I don't know anymore than you on that one unfortunately. Obviously the spec maps are the dds files marked TEX1_S and TEX2_S etc, but beyond that I don't know.

Ok. Thanks. Maybe Patrick knows seeing that he did a lot of the art?

Mord.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

They're all dds.
base0 is dxt1, TEX1 and TEX2, base1-7 are dxt5.
Normals maps are all dxt1
Spec maps are actually the spec in RGB and gloss in the alpha, DXT5, but I barely use them in Medieval terrain as its supposed to represent gouache type paint.

I could of used DXT3 for the spec and colour but its pointless as the decompression of DXT5 is actually faster. You can't use dxt1 with embedded alpha without adding a # to the end of the name and changing all your references in the scripts. I wouldn't bother as the results are poor.

Naming conventions are hold overs from Pike & Shot so a little inconsistent. _N are normal, _S are spec, _C is a control for water.

P

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Mord

Post by Mord »

Thanks, Patrick.

So I don't need them as long as I have a Normal Map made? They aren't gonna effect my texture if I change it from what's already in the game? EX: New Texture needs new Normal Map.

I can't even view the Spec or C files in Adobe Elements, they just show up as black.

So is the alpha layer on the Base1/2/3 TILES what takes the edges off and keeps them from appearing as squares on the maps? That's my guess anyway.

My other guess, the game takes a 512x512 sample for each square on the map from the 2048x2048 Base files, instead of using the full sheet for each square?

Mord.
Gaznak
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Gaznak »

Denser cattails would be more realistic for marshland. I work at a big wetland area and we have had to take drastic measures a few times in the last few decades to control plant growth (localized draining, dredging). At the density you have it the water level would be deep enough that it would be basically be non-navigable.

This is kind of neither here nor there but most units should realistically be taking casualties for even trying to move through marshland. They are extraordinarily dangerous areas that requires specialized equipment and knowledge to work safely in. A horde of non-local soldiers would have a significant number of people drowning or being severely injured trying to move through a large wetland area.

Anyway.. looks great overall!
Mord

Post by Mord »

Gaznak wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:51 pm Denser cattails would be more realistic for marshland.

Anyway.. looks great overall!
Thanks. I prefer them less dense but people will be able to have them anyway they want. All one has to do to make them denser is add in the Medieval BushesTileEdge.SF4 file to their objects/NorthernEurope folder and it'll go to this. You will, however, lose two of the vegetation types.

I may make a small guide describing what the objects folder controls once we are done.

Mord.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Mord wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:17 pm Thanks, Patrick.

So I don't need them as long as I have a Normal Map made? They aren't gonna effect my texture if I change it from what's already in the game? EX: New Texture needs new Normal Map.
TBH I don't know what happens if theres no spec map. Never tried it.
Mord wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:17 pm I can't even view the Spec or C files in Adobe Elements, they just show up as black.
Can't comment on Elements as I've never used it. Try GIMP.
Mord wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:17 pm So is the alpha layer on the Base1/2/3 TILES what takes the edges off and keeps them from appearing as squares on the maps? That's my guess anyway.
Yes.
Mord wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:17 pm My other guess, the game takes a 512x512 sample for each square on the map from the 2048x2048 Base files, instead of using the full sheet for each square?
No. It just makes them fit a 3x3 grid. I think. Maybe 4x4. You can easily check in the editor. If the job was to make realistic textures then the squares being 60m x 60m would be important, but the graphics are meant to be as far from realistic as possible.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Mord

Post by Mord »

Patrick Ward wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:41 pm
TBH I don't know what happens if theres no spec map. Never tried it.
No. I didn't mean no Spec map. I meant not creating a new one and just leaving the stock one in place. New Texture, New Normal Map to fit the Texture, Original Spec. Well that's what's in the snow ground picture above, and it doesn't seem to effect it, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Thanks for the answers, Patrick.

Mord.
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Winter Wonderland:

Recoloured trees, added new swamp texture and vegetation.

IC XC
NI KA
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Very very nice.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval - Modding”